Windshield Wiper

Gap323

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring R
Anyone else’s windshield wipers go bad within 5 months of owning the vehicle and having 5k miles? Mine leave streak marks and service wants to charge me for a new set. It is unreal for them to be such cheap quality and go bad within 5 months of owning a vehicle.

Ours were working fine at almost 15 months and 17,000 miles.

Did you put any kind of coating on your windshield? The wipers on our Teslas have skipped and jerked quite a bit while making squeaking noises after using Rain-X on the windshield. We have put nothing on the Lucid windshield but clean it before almost every drive, and the wipers still work well.

Ours were working fine at almost 15 months and 17,000 miles.

Did you put any kind of coating on your windshield? The wipers on our Teslas have skipped and jerked quite a bit while making squeaking noises after using Rain-X on the windshield. We have put nothing on the Lucid windshield but clean it before almost every drive, and the wipers still work well.
No I have not used anything. It is tinted from the inside but that is about it. Not sure how it went bad so quickly.

It could be that your car might come with a pair of bad wipers.
That’s what I think has happened but the fact that I am being told that I need to pay for a new set if I want to fix the issue is just disappointing on a brand new car.

mine were streaky from the beginning and given how often it rains here in the NW I had Lucid change it to a brand new pair only for the issue to remain the same! It was a bit of a challenge driving at night as the wipers left a streak for a brief moment (<1 sec) but in constant/heavy rain at night, that causes significant glare! However, all is not lost as I have found that you can replace just the wiper inserts (i.e. the rubber part) very easily with nothing more than a small flat head screwdriver and scissors (for cutting the blade insert to size). This is assuming that there is actually nothing else wrong with your wiper (e.g. nozzle jets still work as does heating). The end cap of the wiper come off easily after pressing a tab marked by an arrow. Then the rubber blade can be slide off and replaced. I bought my wiper inserts from Amazon (note: you need 5mm base for the inserts) for about $10-15 for a set of 10 inserts, or so. The tricky part is doing this without removing the wiper blades themselves as that is a very challenging thing to put back on as you'll need to rejoin the fluid nozzle and electrical for the heater. For me, I climbed into the frunk and accessed the driver blade this way. The passenger is much trickier to do as it doesn't fully extend with the frunk lid opened or closed so you have to replace with it only be partially retracted. Overall, once you know what you're doing, I'd say it is a 5-10min job.

No I have not used anything. It is tinted from the inside but that is about it. Not sure how it went bad so quickly.
Did you get your car wrapped with ppf or have ceramic coat applied? If so, the technician could have misaligned wiper arm just a bit.

mine were streaky from the beginning and given how often it rains here in the NW I had Lucid change it to a brand new pair only for the issue to remain the same! It was a bit of a challenge driving at night as the wipers left a streak for a brief moment (<1 sec) but in constant/heavy rain at night, that causes significant glare! However, all is not lost as I have found that you can replace just the wiper inserts (i.e. the rubber part) very easily with nothing more than a small flat head screwdriver and scissors (for cutting the blade insert to size). This is assuming that there is actually nothing else wrong with your wiper (e.g. nozzle jets still work as does heating). The end cap of the wiper come off easily after pressing a tab marked by an arrow. Then the rubber blade can be slide off and replaced. I bought my wiper inserts from Amazon (note: you need 5mm base for the inserts) for about $10-15 for a set of 10 inserts, or so. The tricky part is doing this without removing the wiper blades themselves as that is a very challenging thing to put back on as you'll need to rejoin the fluid nozzle and electrical for the heater. For me, I climbed into the frunk and accessed the driver blade this way. The passenger is much trickier to do as it doesn't fully extend with the frunk lid opened or closed so you have to replace with it only be partially retracted. Overall, once you know what you're doing, I'd say it is a 5-10min job.
Could you post a link to the inserts you bought, please?

Could you post a link to the inserts you bought, please?
Also interested in this as the Lucid provided blades are utter crap. I had min replaced within a month of ownership as they were streaking all over the place and 4 months later on the new blades, I’m having similar issues.

Also interested in this as the Lucid provided blades are utter crap. I had min replaced within a month of ownership as they were streaking all over the place and 4 months later on the new blades, I’m having similar issues.
Did they have you pay for it as well? I mean it’s a new car. I think it should be covered under warranty. I know wipers fall under wear and tear but to go back in a month or 5 months does not sound normal to me in any way.

Did they have you pay for it as well? I mean it’s a new car. I think it should be covered under warranty. I know wipers fall under wear and tear but to go back in a month or 5 months does not sound normal to me in any way.
What I have been seeing is 6-12 months for a windshield wiper to last. That likely depends upon weather, garaging, etc.

What I have been seeing is 6-12 months for a windshield wiper to last. That likely depends upon weather, garaging, etc.
6-12 months... In AZ lol. You get rain what like 5 times a year? LOL Only kidding. I know there's plenty of AZ that has decent amounts of precipitation. As you said, very weather dependent.

6-12 months... In AZ lol. You get rain what like 5 times a year? LOL Only kidding. I know there's plenty of AZ that has decent amounts of precipitation. As you said, very weather dependent.
Actually, I think the killer of windshield wipers in Arizona is the heat and sun. The blades simply disintegrate over time. But, unfortunately, we don't need to use them a lot.

No, they replaced them free of charge. I had had the vehicle for like 2 weeks. I think it had probably sat in the sun pre delivery and the rubber was dry and not effective. The new wipes worked fine for a couple of months but now are leaving streaks again and don’t make complete contact with the windshield.

What is the size of the wiper? I can't find on the operation manual. Thanks in advance

Over a year and 8k miles. It no longer snows here in SE PA so can't say how they hold up the the salt and grit we used to get in the winter.
Are still as good as new, but I had ceramic coating done shortly after delivery. Also, as a part of my "walk-around" pre-launch inspection I wipe down the windshield (along which checking tires, etc.).

Waiting for the service center to open in KoP.....
1698065761410.gif

I don't know if this applies in your case, but I received a recall notice to repair the windshield wiper arm nuts which may loosen and cause the reduced wiper effectiveness. I have Lucid scheduled to do the repairs next week.

Anyone find the wipers to be really sensitive on the Lucid Air? I put them in Auto Low, and they just keep going and going and going. They do stop eventually, but i went out to install my carseat in the car, it was dry but a little condensation on the windshield, and the wipers were just going off like crazy, i wasn't even in the driver seat, they really shouldn't be running if you're not driving the car, waste of energy.

Then this morning same thing, condensation on the windshield in the morning, and they just kept going and going, i had to manually switch them to the off position.

haven't found that. You may want to get them serviced. When mine are on Auto-Low they work pretty well. If there's condensation in the morning, they auto swipe once and stop... maybe twice if there are drops/streaks remaining after the first swipe. But they never just run constantly, even in light rain.

haven't found that. You may want to get them serviced. When mine are on Auto-Low they work pretty well. If there's condensation in the morning, they auto swipe once and stop... maybe twice if there are drops/streaks remaining after the first swipe. But they never just run constantly, even in light rain.
thanks. Swipe once and stop sounds like the right behavior. Will put in a service request to get them taken a look at

Back