Will the RWD Air be quieter

I notice it more after driving my wife's EQS.
Is the EQS the dual PSM or single?

Assuming dual, maybe they put more dynomatting or sound suppression between the driver and the front motor (it is a little heavier for the dual than my Touring) or the front motor is in a spot further away. Maybe it has something to do with the horsepower settings. In saying that I’m curious if the AMG EQS is louder in the cabin.

Either way, the EQS was built for luxury, smoothness, and comfort, queue the air suspension. Lucid while built for luxury too, its focus was on being a better quality product than Tesla, aerodynamics for range, and power. My guess is the EQS comfort extends to the ears too based on many years of automobile building experience where Lucid is still in the car building infancy stage learning about those things.

Is the EQS the dual PSM or single?

Assuming dual, maybe they put more dynomatting or sound suppression between the driver and the front motor (it is a little heavier for the dual than my Touring) or the front motor is in a spot further away. Maybe it has something to do with the horsepower settings. In saying that I’m curious if the AMG EQS is louder in the cabin.

Either way, the EQS was built for luxury, smoothness, and comfort, queue the air suspension. Lucid while built for luxury too, its focus was on being a better quality product than Tesla, aerodynamics for range, and power. My guess is the EQS comfort extends to the ears too based on many years of automobile building experience where Lucid is still in the car building infancy stage learning about those things.
The AMG EQS is the highest HP EQS version and has two drive units. The cabin is very quiet and much less motor whine than the Air.

Other car companies have figured out how to get rid of the motor whine. It should be a predictable sound based upon m how fast the engine is going. I would imagine they could remove it with software if they wanted.

I also doubt it was a feature though. I suspect that reason for Tesla had the motor whine was the same. They didn’t know how to fully silence it early either.

I would be surprised if the next generation Air has that sound.
FYI,

Polestar 2 also have that whine sound too, I couldnt tell from inside, but outside is actually louder than Air. I honestly don’t know it they are intentional or couldn’t remove them. While MB is designed for cabin luxury, Lucid has two faces cabin, front row gears toward sportiness like BMW and rear gears toward space comfort. Me personally I don’t mind the sound, I missed my Porsche ICE sound however.

I *did* test drive. The whine was much, much less pronounced on that car. Not nearly silent, like my Model S, but much quieter.

So I wonder if this variation is a result of manufacturing tolerances or perhaps wear. I don't know recall how many miles were on the test drive vehicle, but probably more than a thousand.

Has anyone noticed the whine changing over time? Or is it too early to tell?

It is definitely intentional, and definitely not synthesized.
Can you tell us the source of your information that it is intentional? I can understand "not trying to get rid of it", but that's a little different than "we want it to make noise".

In general, mechanical engineers have a fairly visceral aversion to noise in moving equipment. It is usually associated with mechanical wear (say gears not meshing perfectly), vibration, or other unwanted physical processes. So I can't imagine a mechanical engineer wanting to introduce noise.

What the kids heard was probably not the motor whine but the "Pedestrian Warning Sounds" (or whatever they call it).
Agreed, if you drive slow with windows down, or better yet have someone else drive by while standing there, you will hear the mystical, etherial, pedestrian awareness sound.

What the kids heard was probably not the motor whine but the "Pedestrian Warning Sounds" (or whatever they call it).
In ICE cars it's being called a muffler.

Can you tell us the source of your information that it is intentional? I can understand "not trying to get rid of it", but that's a little different than "we want it to make noise".

In general, mechanical engineers have a fairly visceral aversion to noise in moving equipment. It is usually associated with mechanical wear (say gears not meshing perfectly), vibration, or other unwanted physical processes. So I can't imagine a mechanical engineer wanting to introduce noise.
It's been a while but from what I recall Kyle talked to the engineers...maybe?

It's been a while but from what I recall Kyle talked to the engineers...maybe?

Yeah this was my source; I can’t recall exactly, but it was from a YouTube video I watched.

Other car companies have figured out how to get rid of the motor whine. It should be a predictable sound based upon m how fast the engine is going. I would imagine they could remove it with software if they wanted.

I also doubt it was a feature though. I suspect that reason for Tesla had the motor whine was the same. They didn’t know how to fully silence it early either.

I would be surprised if the next generation Air has that sound.
Its likely from both the motor and drive. Generally, higher end drives and motors, give less noise. General drive and motor layout and adding filtering helps. A common pwm switching frequency for ev is 8kHz to 20kHz. So, for young people all within hearing range. Older ones probably only up 15 kHz and increasingly less hearing with increasing frequncy throughout the entire range. I dont know the lucid switching pwm and whether its asynchronous, but if you allude to you can hear it doesnt change with motor speed, its actullay fixed pwm, which generrally is also easier to implement. Yes, quite likely lucid ended up with what have by chance and perhaps after reasonable cost noise mitigation and not by intention. If you kept the pwm at 20kHz itd sound less and even lesser with age. For intention, would be easy to add any noise to the sound system as desired and would be all on software.

Yeah this was my source; I can’t recall exactly, but it was from a YouTube video I watched.
I just watched the video and Kyle suggested it was the lack of isolation of the front motor from the chassis that transmitted the noise into the cabin. He didn’t suggest it was Lucid’s intention to create the noise, but rather a byproduct of what he thought was a poor design choice.

He also mentioned there was no noise at all coming from the rear motor, further reinforcing my belief the RWD will be a quieter car than the AWD.

Reactions: Bel
Back