Why is the Pure RWD so much lighter?

SteveS

Verified Owner
Cars
2024 Pure
According to Lucid, the curb weights of the 2024 Air Pure and Touring are 4,564 and 4,988 pounds, respectively. I'm trying to understand why there is a weight difference of 424 pounds.

The differences of which I am aware between the models are (1) the front motor and (2) the battery pack. But the weight of a motor is only 163 pounds. Am I missing something or is the 92 kWh battery pack in the Touring really (424 - 163 =) 261 pounds heavier than the 88 kWh battery pack in the Pure RWD?

I suspect the difference in the 88-kWh and 92-kWh packs lies in cells from different suppliers, not in the number of cells or modules, as is the case with the 118-kWh pack vs. the 112-kWh pack (both having 6600 cells in 22 modules).

Assuming the Touring weight is with the glass canopy, the metal roof on the Pure would be lighter. However, I doubt if that alone would make up the additional weight difference after the loss of a motor is taken into account. However, it was significant enough for Lucid to use the metal roof on the Sapphire.

Some of this may depend on what options were included in the Touring's weight. Things such as massage motors and related hardware can rack up the pounds pretty quickly.

I suspect the difference in the 88-kWh and 92-kWh packs lies in cells from different suppliers, not in the number of cells or modules, as is the case with the 118-kWh pack vs. the 112-kWh pack (both having 6600 cells in 22 modules).

Assuming the Touring weight is with the glass canopy, the metal roof on the Pure would be lighter. However, I doubt if that alone would make up the additional weight difference after the loss of a motor is taken into account. However, it was significant enough for Lucid to use the metal roof on the Sapphire.

Some of this may depend on what options were included in the Touring's weight. Things such as massage motors and related hardware can rack up the pounds pretty quickly.
There have also been numerous items bought from the Sapphire to the Pure RWD. For example, the TC motor between the two is shared. I imagine that these parts save weight, in addition to the obvious roof/motor differences and also the missing luxury touches.

Interesting, I wasn't aware . . .

. . . in addition to the obvious roof/motor differences and also the missing luxury touches.
Except for the motor(s) and battery, aren't the standard and optional equipment items on the Pure and Touring identical for 2024? If so, surely the curb weights would be stated with the same configurations.

There have also been numerous items bought from the Sapphire to the Pure RWD. For example, the TC motor between the two is shared.
Interesting, what are the other Sapphire items on the Pure, but not the Touring?

I'm guessing a lot of the weight difference is due to the glass roof of the touring vs metal on the Pure. I had a conversation today with someone from Lucid and was told that it takes several guys to replace the front windshield/roof because of the weight.

I had a conversation today with someone from Lucid and was told that it takes several guys to replace the front windshield/roof because of the weight.
Wait a minute, Lucid's service center has an ability to do that?
Really?

Interesting, what are the other Sapphire items on the Pure, but not the Touring?

It wouldn't affect weight, but some of the drive and rear suspension algorithms used in the Sapphire were used / adapted for the Pure RWD, as both cars have a pronounced rear power bias compared to the dual-motor Airs.

Wait a minute, Lucid's service center has an ability to do that?
Really?

When I had my windshield replaced by a Lucid Service Center I was told it was done by people from a local automotive glass installer . . . but at the Lucid facility, I believe.

I'm guessing a lot of the weight difference is due to the glass roof of the touring vs metal on the Pure. I had a conversation today with someone from Lucid and was told that it takes several guys to replace the front windshield/roof because of the weight.
I'm sure the glass roof is heavy, but a metal roof is standard on both the Touring and the Pure (and optional on both).

When I had my windshield replaced by a Lucid Service Center I was told it was done by people from a local automotive glass installer . . . but at the Lucid facility, I believe.
No, no.
The way i understood @Halodde's post that whoever doesn't like full glass glass roof, may replace it with the metal roof.

I'm sure the glass roof is heavy, but a metal roof is standard on both the Touring and the Pure (and optional on both).

The glass canopy is available on the Pure?

As for curb weights, with so many running changes being made on the cars, I'm not sure data on the Lucid website is always up to date. I have found several cases in which the website and the Design Studios still display out-dated information. For instance, the last time I visited the Miami Design Studio it had a prominent wall display advertising the Grand Touring Performance which had been out of production for some months. There have also been cases where photos and graphics on the Lucid website didn't line up with trim configurations they were meant to illustrate or when conflicting or confusing information was presented. For instance, the specs tab used to show rear legroom measurements for the larger and smaller battery packs that didn't track the actual 3.15" difference in the floorboard height. When I inquired I was told it was due to a different measuring technique used for each version, although no one could explain why.

Last edited:
No, no.
The way i understood @Halodde's post that whoever doesn't like full glass glass roof may replace it with the metal roof.
Okay, I'm now officially confused.
I have a tenancy, on occasion, to do that to people :)

It definitely does not. But in a related manner, does anybody know how vehicle weights are typically calculated? Do they use fully loaded configurations, base configurations (within the trim), etc?

No, no.
The way i understood @Halodde's post that whoever doesn't like full glass glass roof may replace it with the metal roof.

Oh. I thought @Halodde was referring to the fact that the glass canopy also comprises the roof?

Whoops, I just looked at the configurator again and it is not! Sorry for confusing the discussion. I wish I could edit my earlier posts, but it seems not to be possible.

As for curb weights, with so many running changes being made on the cars, I'm not sure data on the Lucid website is always up to date.
The stated curb weight for the Touring was 5,203 in 2023 and 4,988 in 2024. Now I'm wondering what could account for that!

It definitely does not. But in a related manner, does anybody know how vehicle weights are typically calculated? Do they use fully loaded configurations, base configurations (within the trim), etc?

There are two methods. One is to weigh the vehicle with all standard equipment and necessary operating fluids. The other is to take the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and subtract from that the total passenger/cargo payload capacity. I suspect this could sometimes yield a different weight for any given car.

It's not always clear what "standard" equipment means. For example, early Airs gave you the choice of two wheel/tire combinations with no price difference, meaning both are "standard". But they had different weights.

I think this may be one of those areas where each manufacturer takes its own path, just as with aerodynamic measurements or with using the 2- or 5-cycle EPA rating protocols.

The stated curb weight for the Touring was 5,203 in 2023 and 4,988 in 2024. Now I'm wondering what could account for that!
I can say with full confidence the touring weight was never 5203. That is the GT (22-23) weight.

No, no.

*Tendency. Hate autocorrect.

I can say with full confidence the touring weight was never 5203. That is the GT (22-23) weight.
Dang, you're right and I'm wrong again! I relied on Google (below), but digging deeper, the 2023 Touring curb weight seems to have been 5,012 pounds.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 171616.webp

Back