What is battery “preconditioning?”

wcpopi

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
I’ve seen the term used and don’t have any idea as to what it is, why it’s done, how to do it, etc. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!

It is when you want to do fast Direct Current charge at EA station. You need to let Battery Management System, aka Wunderbox moderate overall battery temperature first before receiving ultra fast charge to maximize the charging speed and to protect battery for longevity.

Thank you!
Is this something that I initiate? How does one know that the battery is in the preconditioned state?

It is when you want to do fast Direct Current charge at EA station. You need to let Battery Management System, aka Wunderbox moderate overall battery temperature first before receiving ultra fast charge to maximize the charging speed and to protect battery for longevity.
I found a video that describes the process. I will watch that and return with any questions. Thank you

No matter how long I pre-condition for (and I’ve been advised to pre-condition for 45 min, not 20), I never see a message that pre-conditioning is complete. Is that normal?

I found a video that describes the process. I will watch that and return with any questions. Thank you
As a result of watching the video, I discovered that the charging screen in the car has more detail and functionality than the charging screen on the phone app. I think I have been using the phone app exclusively, which is why I wasn't aware of the preconditioning option on the car screen

No matter how long I pre-condition for (and I’ve been advised to pre-condition for 45 min, not 20), I never see a message that pre-conditioning is complete. Is that normal?
I don't think it is ever "complete" because it should just be keeping the battery in optimal charging state until you start charging. If you are still driving after 20/45 min, the BMS system will still need to adjust until you charge. Not a battery engineer.

I don't think it is ever "complete" because it should just be keeping the battery in optimal charging state until you start charging. If you are still driving after 20/45 min, the BMS system will still need to adjust until you charge. Not a battery engineer.

Back