hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
I just came across a British comparison of four large EV sedans. In discussing rear seat room, the author wrote that "the rear compartment of the Model S is sufficiently roomy" and then went on to describe the Lucid as having an "uncomfortable rear bench" that was "too short in the cushion, insufficiently padded, and it seats passengers at an odd upright angle with the legs sharply bent . . . ."

I have serious doubts as to whether this author sat in the rear of either car. We own both a Lucid Air Dream Performance and a Tesla Model S Plaid, and we don't even use the Plaid when we're carrying adults in the rear seat due to the cramped quarters. With the driver seat set in my preferred driving position in both cars, there is 9.5" more fore/aft legroom in the Lucid than in the Tesla. Although both cars jack the knees up a bit unnaturally, the longer stretch in the Air reduces the bend angle of the knee compared to the Tesla. How this author could take Lucid to task for the knee angle but not even mention it as an issue in the Tesla's "roomy" rear is beyond me.

Every person who has been in the rear of both cars has gushed over how much roomier and more comfortable with Air is -- and their comments also mention the style and materials quality as being a big step up from the Tesla.

It's just one more reason never, ever, no way, no how to buy a car without first trying it out yourself.

Might not have been the same person to sit in both cars one after another?

Personally, I found sitting in the back of a GT to be uncomfortable because of the floor height, and I’m not even that tall.

Subjective opinions are all over the place…I can understand their point of view, even though it’s not widely shared around here.

Personally, I found sitting in the back of a GT to be uncomfortable because of the floor height, and I’m not even that tall.

I don't take issue with mentioning the Lucid's knee position caused by the high floorboard. One of my great disappointments when the final Air design was revealed was that Lucid didn't find a way to avoid battery modules under the rear floorboard with the larger battery pack.

What I found so objectionable was mentioning it regarding the Lucid but not mentioning it as an issue in the Tesla's "roomy" rear quarters. The Tesla also has battery modules under the floorboard and the same low rear cushion height as the Lucid (driven in both cars by the low roofline for aerodynamic reasons). And the shorter rear cabin length in the Tesla actually forces the knees into a sharper angle than in the Lucid.

Any issue you have with the rear seating in the Lucid GT would be worse in the Tesla Model S, I can assure you.

It’s been a while since I’ve sat in the back of a Model S. I did recently sit in a Model X at a Tesla showroom and I cannot understand how anyone with legs can do so comfortably.

Yeah the author either accidentally swapped the cars when he wrote the article, or he’s a shill for Tesla. Besides, if someone is really that bent out of shape over the angle at which one’s legs are in the much more roomy Air GT, well just get the Touring with the deeper floor! Besides how many buyers are going to be spending significant time in the back seat, which by all accounts except this author is remarkably spacious for a sedan.

Brits, their dentistry and their car reviews at the finest.

Overall the Lucid did very well and the rear seats are a known compromise.

Yeah the author either accidentally swapped the cars when he wrote the article, or he’s a shill for Tesla. Besides, if someone is really that bent out of shape over the angle at which one’s legs are in the much more roomy Air GT, well just get the Touring with the deeper floor! Besides how many buyers are going to be spending significant time in the back seat, which by all accounts except this author is remarkably spacious for a sedan.

To me, that rear seat issue would be a non-issue. But I can see how it could be for someone with a 6:5" kid needing to sit in the back. One person's problem is another person's feature (as noted above). But the Lucid may not be for everyone. No car is.

Back