Washing a black Gravity without scratching?

MichaelW

Active Member

Joined
Nov 11, 2023
Messages
103
Reaction score
110
Location
Los Angeles
Cars
LUCID Air Touring
Any tips for a waterless wash technique so the paint doesn’t scratch? I had an Air that was easy to do because of the color, but this seems like it will scratch easily.
 
Optimum No Rinse with a Big Red Sponge and lots of clean microfiber towels.

CarPro Ech2O is another option.

Rubbit is yet a third.

All do fine.
 
Not a fan of waterless cleaning for anything but light dust and pollen. Black is going to be a rough go.
 
I take mine through the Quick Quack. It’s a lease. 🤣🤘

Had I bought it outright? Griots at home probably or pay someone to detail it.

EDIT: I should add, I usually never keep a vehicle (purchased or leased) long enough to worry about the paint. So I probably will never bother with detailing a car myself or hiring someone to do it again. I use to enjoy detailing my vehicles, but after I went through some health issues I had to give it up.
I drive mine hard, enjoy them, and then swap them out in 1-3 years.

I remember the good old says when Tesla was still a novelty and everyone was on about "NEVER TAKE IT THROUGH A CARWASH!"

It's a Tesla, not a Lambo. LOL

This is some pretty good stuff I used to use:
 
Last edited:
Hello,
I always worry about scratching black paint while washing. Using the two-bucket method, a microfiber wash mitt, and drying with a clean microfiber towel seems to keep the finish looking great and swirl-free.
Vanced
 
Thanks guys. I'm going to try this Optimum No Rinse. Seems to get great reviews on a number of sites too, so worth giving it a roll. I'm used to a quick waterless wash, but this feels like it may not be a good option with the black. I use the car for work/meetings, so keeping it clean is a need. :)
 
Thanks guys. I'm going to try this Optimum No Rinse. Seems to get great reviews on a number of sites too, so worth giving it a roll. I'm used to a quick waterless wash, but this feels like it may not be a good option with the black. I use the car for work/meetings, so keeping it clean is a need. :)

You can use ONR as a rinseless wash, which is nice.
 
I detailed cars when I was young (decades ago, so I know a thing or two but I'm not a detailer) and polished and ceramic coated my Air myself. I hand wash it basically every weekend. I'd second @borski 's ONR recommendation, but keep in mind it's rinseless, not waterless. Also, the drying towels can make a big difference and may be what is scratching your car. I like the Liquid8r from The Rag Company as my drying towel, and personally prefer the two pack of the smaller 16x16 inch ones versus using one big one. But if your car has sand and grit stuck on it, or you can see the dirt on it from 10 feet away, you really need to blast it off with water before touching it with any towel or sponge. I only use waterless wash (CarPro Ech2o) when the car has the lightest dusting and most people would still call it clean.

You might also try a ceramic topper. There are so many good ones, even stuff at the local car parts store will work (Meguiar's, Griot's Garage, Turtle Wax is surprisingly popular). They will not prevent scratches but can make the car faster and easier to wash, which means less touching so less chance of scratching.
 
Get clear PPF, then don't worry about it!
 
Back
Top