V2H availability

sicsyman

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
With many home still out of power in Bay Area, anybody know when Lucid V2H function would be available?

Even if it is available, we need a disconnect switch with ccs or j 1772 input 240v 19.6kW which have 240v l1 l2 on for the normal operation when we have power and in the event of outage we need a ccs j 1772 input when connected switches to it only when the main power is out and then switches back to the main power. We also need someone trained by lucid to install.

Even if it is available, we need a disconnect switch with ccs or j 1772 input 240v 19.6kW which have 240v l1 l2 on for the normal operation when we have power and in the event of outage we need a ccs j 1772 input when connected switches to it only when the main power is out and then switches back to the main power. We also need someone trained by lucid to install.
Harik, where did you get the info re: a Lucid installer required? What are they required to do? Thanks.

Harik, where did you get the info re: a Lucid installer required? What are they required to do? Thanks.
No info at all from Lucid on that.

I think one needs to compare the cost of a power wall (if one has solar roof), a generator, and the Lucid V2H costs. Then realize that the V2H will eventually run out and limit your mobility when comparing the cost to the other alternatives.

I think V2L is probably a more cost effective alternative. In a power blackout, what are the main concerns? Mostly refrigeration. So plugging the refrigerator(s) into the car can protect your food supply. If you need to cook something, temporarily disconnect the refrigerators. Like the V2H solution, this will eventually limit your mobility but you will be using less electrons so your supply should last longer.

I think one needs to compare the cost of a power wall (if one has solar roof), a generator, and the Lucid V2H costs. Then realize that the V2H will eventually run out and limit your mobility when comparing the cost to the other alternatives.

I think V2L is probably a more cost effective alternative. In a power blackout, what are the main concerns? Mostly refrigeration. So plugging the refrigerator(s) into the car can protect your food supply. If you need to cook something, temporarily disconnect the refrigerators. Like the V2H solution, this will eventually limit your mobility but you will be using less electrons so your supply should last longer.
Bidirectional charging and V2H would provide the backup power for your critical loads during a grid power failure. You will not need to run power cords to the car.

Lucid V2H is not much different than a Tesla powerwall but limited to peak output in kW. V2L in Hyundai/Kia is just 1.9kW. That is a different use case mostly on the road and with a long extension cord. As I said, with V2H in the car, you can drive to a DC FC and keep the house going. You cannot do that with a Powewall.

Lucid V2H is not much different than a Tesla powerwall but limited to peak output in kW. V2L in Hyundai/Kia is just 1.9kW. That is a different use case mostly on the road and with a long extension cord. As I said, with V2H in the car, you can drive to a DC FC and keep the house going. You cannot do that with a Powewall.
Also I believe the Powerwalls are only around 15Kwh?? So Lucid is equal to many Powerwalls. And even if the cost of the additional hardware is $5-$10K still a lot less expensive than the Powerwalls. I guess I'm wondering if the Lucid V2H will be able to recharge the car using my solar installation as apparently the PowerWalls can currently do in a power outage??

Also I believe the Powerwalls are only around 15Kwh?? So Lucid is equal to many Powerwalls. And even if the cost of the additional hardware is $5-$10K still a lot less expensive than the Powerwalls. I guess I'm wondering if the Lucid V2H will be able to recharge the car using my solar installation as apparently the PowerWalls can currently do in a power outage??
Powerwalls are 13.5 kWh capacity. But 9.6kW full sun / 7kW no sun continuous, 22kW full sun / 10kW no sun peak. Also 118A max LRA start.

I am doubtful (but don't know) if the Lucid V2H will be able to match that level of continuous output / LRA start. For example, I doubt you could run your ACs off the Lucid.

And yeah, the powerwalls can charge the car off solar or the batteries as needed.

Powerwalls are 13.5 kWh capacity. But 9.6kW full sun / 7kW no sun continuous, 22kW full sun / 10kW no sun peak. Also 118A max LRA start.

I am doubtful (but don't know) if the Lucid V2H will be able to match that level of continuous output / LRA start. For example, I doubt you could run your ACs off the Lucid.

And yeah, the powerwalls can charge the car off solar or the batteries as needed.
19.2kW is enough to power the AC but I would do that only if absolutely needed and not use any other high power appliances at the same time.

PGE does not allow solar panels which are connected to the grid to power the house in the event of PGE failure as far as I know. So, even if I have solar power I could not use it.

My comment was directed at the fact that people with solar and PowerWalls apparently during a power outage their solar panels do replenish the PowerWalls. If that is true, then why couldn't the solar panels also replenish the Lucid that is connected using V2H during a power outage? In that case the Lucid is just acting like a huge battery just like the PowerWalls???

My comment was directed at the fact that people with solar and PowerWalls apparently during a power outage their solar panels do replenish the PowerWalls. If that is true, then why couldn't the solar panels also replenish the Lucid that is connected using V2H during a power outage? In that case the Lucid is just acting like a huge battery just like the PowerWalls???
Yes. They could. There should be really no difference between the Powerwall and EV battery as far as PGE is concerned. I believe that PGE currently approves only Powerwall to be chaarged by Solar. So, the auto companies must get certified by utility companies. That said, what happens to the battery warranty by the Automakers in that case?

Yes. They could. There should be really no difference between the Powerwall and EV battery as far as PGE is concerned. I believe that PGE currently approves only Powerwall to be chaarged by Solar. So, the auto companies must get certified by utility companies. That said, what happens to the battery warranty by the Automakers in that case?
Well Lucid advertised right from the start that the car could be used for V2H as needed (once approved and with the appropriate hardware that they designate) so it stands to reason there should not be any impact on the battery warranty.

19.2kW is enough to power the AC but I would do that only if absolutely needed and not use any other high power appliances at the same time.
How do you know that the Lucid will be capable of 19.2 kW continuous?

PGE does not allow solar panels which are connected to the grid to power the house in the event of PGE failure as far as I know. So, even if I have solar power I could not use it.
That is not true, if you have batteries. I’m every outage thus far, solar powers my house and excess goes to the batteries. If you don’t have a place for excess to go, that’s when PGE disallows solar to power your home. I am not sure if the Lucid would count.

That is not true, if you have batteries. I’m every outage thus far, solar powers my house and excess goes to the batteries. If you don’t have a place for excess to go, that’s when PGE disallows solar to power your home. I am not sure if the Lucid would count.
I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that you do not have a battery, PGE will not allow Solar to power your house in the even of power outage even if you have solar. PGE certified and qualified Tesla Power wall. They have to certify and qualify Lucid or any EV.

I thought that the wunderbox is bi-directional 19.2kW capable 240v 80A 19.2kW sustained L2 charge or sustained output. When it is provide 240V 2 phase output, we also need to know the surge and peak because motor loads and microwave ovens do have a surge.

I thought that the wunderbox is bi-directional 19.2kW capable 240v 80A 19.2kW sustained L2 charge or sustained output. When it is provide 240V 2 phase output, we also need to know the surge and peak because motor loads and microwave ovens do have a surge.
The surge is what I’m talking about, yeah. That’s why you can’t have ACs on fewer than two Powerwalls, and usually need a soft starter.

Electrically it makes sense, as the Wunderbox could/should be using the exact same circuitry for both AC charging and discharging. We'll have to wait and see though.

Back