Update regarding Phone as a Key availability for Gravity owners

... a bulky key fob ...
I think it's fair to critique auto companies for bulky fobs. The fob for my Toyota Highland is extremely compact, includes an NFC backup, and I see little reason why manufacturers make fobs any bigger. I appreciate a compact fob, and was a bit mystified when some here started talking about getting leather cases for their fobs, which seems to me is just unnecessarily bulking them up.
 
... But I'm looking for PAAK to be the solution to my still frequently-occurring fob delays.
I'm pretty sure PAAK will communicate with the car the same way the fob does, so there's not much reason to believe that PAAK will be more reliable than a fob. It avoids bugs specific to the software and hardware in the fob itself, but also opens up the chance of bugs unique to the PAAK implementation.
 
I'm pretty sure PAAK will communicate with the car the same way the fob does, so there's not much reason to believe that PAAK will be more reliable than a fob. It avoids bugs specific to the software and hardware in the fob itself, but also opens up the chance of bugs unique to the PAAK implementation.
At least we won’t have to change the battery every month
 
Mine is a 26. I've had it since December
Officially without asking? Which studio or SC did you have because officially 26's did not have a second fob. I can believe that some studios and SCs might provide a second fob for various customer satisfaction reasons (someone mentioned this above), or even because the studios just aren't very well informed, but it wasn't an intended part of the package until the 27 model year.
 
No, there really doesn't need to be a key card backup. For my other two vehicles (Toyota Highlander and Ram 2500), the fob has a built-in backup if the battery dies, and neither vehicle ships with a key card backup. And that's been 100% fine with me, and has never caused me a problem. It seems that only with a new generation of vehicles has someone decided that you need a wallet card. Personally, I dread trying to explain to a valet how to use a key card, and hope that when they try to retrieve the car back later that they can remember where you're supposed to wave the card to get the car to start. I'd much much much prefer to just hand them the fob, which everyone knows how to use. Same deal if a friend wants to "borrow my keys" to unblock their car, or make a run to the store, or whatever. I guess I can see some tiny appeal to minimalism by eliminating one small thing from from your pocket, but the convenience of a fob outweighs the gain of pocket space in my opinion. Maybe if I was a woman, where they've decided that clothes shall not have pockets, I'd feel differently. But I doubt it, because then you just need to carry a purse for things like your cell phone, and a fob fits just fine. I recognize that I'm probably an old fart who isn't keeping up with the times, but I don't understand the obsession with PAAK. It strikes me as a cool but minor feature. None of which excuses Lucid from promising and then failing to deliver, of course.
I’ve been to a few valets now and they didn’t need an explanation at all about the key card. They are quite used to them now.
 
I’ve been to a few valets now and they didn’t need an explanation at all about the key card. They are quite used to them now.
They likely park a lot of Teslas 🙂
 
I think it's fair to critique auto companies for bulky fobs. The fob for my Toyota Highland is extremely compact, includes an NFC backup, and I see little reason why manufacturers make fobs any bigger. I appreciate a compact fob, and was a bit mystified when some here started talking about getting leather cases for their fobs, which seems to me is just unnecessarily bulking them up.
The Gravity one in particular is not great. It's heavy, bulky and the buttons are tiny. The Rivian one is the best one I've seen
 
The Gravity one in particular is not great. It's heavy, bulky and the buttons are tiny. The Rivian one is the best one I've seen
I actually preferred the Air fob to Gravity.

The thing about a single button is you can always press it from inside your pocket. Or without looking.

With Gravity, you need a magnifying glass to see the glyphs. And even once you memorize the positions of the buttons, you still need to be sure it isn’t oriented upside down. And then you still have to remember press and hold for the frunk and trunk, while only pressing lock and unlock.

So what’s the point of having separate buttons?
 
I am hoping by now they have been able to align the functionality with the Cosmos development too so that in early 2027 everything just works.
 
I actually preferred the Air fob to Gravity.

The thing about a single button is you can always press it from inside your pocket. Or without looking.

With Gravity, you need a magnifying glass to see the glyphs. And even once you memorize the positions of the buttons, you still need to be sure it isn’t oriented upside down. And then you still have to remember press and hold for the frunk and trunk, while only pressing lock and unlock.

So what’s the point of having separate buttons?
Spot on!
 
At least we won’t have to change the battery every month
Have you updated your fob's software? My fob's battery lasts about 4-6 months.
 
I actually preferred the Air fob to Gravity.

The thing about a single button is you can always press it from inside your pocket. Or without looking.

With Gravity, you need a magnifying glass to see the glyphs. And even once you memorize the positions of the buttons, you still need to be sure it isn’t oriented upside down. And then you still have to remember press and hold for the frunk and trunk, while only pressing lock and unlock.

So what’s the point of having separate buttons?
I've never had a fob with a single button. All the fob's I've had have had at least two buttons (the gravity has gone a bit overboard with four buttons, but then again most cars only have a trunk and not a frunk and trunk). The Mercedes fob had four buttons, lower left was unlock, lower right was open trunk, center was lock and the red button on the key part was alarm (this key fob actually had to be inserted and turned to start the car).
 
I’ve been to a few valets now and they didn’t need an explanation at all about the key card. They are quite used to them now.
My experience as well. Was given a Lucid loaner without the fob once and the valets knew what to do without me having to explain it. But that is likely skewed because I’m in Silicon Valley.
 
My experience as well. Was given a Lucid loaner without the fob once and the valets knew what to do without me having to explain it. But that is likely skewed because I’m in Silicon Valley.
GA, AL and FL for these places for me. The valets all are up on it now!
 
've never had a fob with a single button. All the fob's I've had have had at least two buttons (the gravity has gone a bit overboard with four buttons
Meanwhile my wife's Genesis GV60 has 8 fricken buttons, four along each edge. It's impossible to do anything so m at all without taking it out of your pocket and looking closely to find which button you need. You can't do anything at all by feel.
 
Back
Top