Turtle Mode, Warranty and What to Expect

NoGasPain

Cars
Lucid GT
Last Monday morning leaving for work, went to drive my Air GT and didn't know what was happening as I couldn't go any faster than 36mph. Reached out to Lucid and scheduled a service call. Did some research and learned all about the Turtle Mode. Lucid came on Wednesday, fixed what needed to be done and everything is fine. Drove the car that evening and had no issue. Next morning (Thursday) as I head out for work, TURTLE MODE AGAIN! Call Lucid and they scheduled another service call for the following Tuesday. They see the turtle mode, but can't determine what was causing it so it was decided that a module needs replacing. Lucid came on Tuesday, replaced the module and push the latest OTA update. Car ran fine the next day but was glitchy with charging and it was not communicating with my home charging station. Again, call Lucid and let them know what is happening and that this car is my daily drive. Lucid told me they will push the 2.1.10 version by the end of day. Today, so far so good.

Kudos to my Lucid service tech. He was on top with his communications and what the Lucid team was doing behind the scene.

Here is my concern, this latest round of service call, which included a replacement of a module to correct the turtle mode. What happens when the car is out of warranty? I can't imagine the cost of the service call plus the cost of the module? You have the cost of the technician drive time since there's really no Lucid dealership with a service department, cost of the parts and the technician's time to diagnose and repair. This really puts a pause with us in owning this car wondering what the carrying cost will be when the car is out of warranty.

Has anyone consider what the unexpected expenses will be in owning a Lucid after the warranty period?

Do you wonder the same thing for any of the other cars you've purchased? Why is the Lucid any different?

Do you wonder the same thing for any of the other cars you've purchased? Why is the Lucid any different?
You've got a point but I think long term reliability is just a bit unknown at the moment so the concern sort of makes sense.

Personally, I think the warranty is long enough for me to know what to expect going forward.

Also, a car with more parts replaced definitely makes me more relaxed about its longterm viability.

Not the OP, but for most of my cars I never really had to do dealer visits. I have a good relationship with a mechanic and in a pinch I can wrench on it myself. There are parts readily available from third parties and OEM. I've saved thousands keeping my cars running without paying dealer prices.

I have a feeling that isn't going to be the case with Lucid.

I had a rough start with ownership so if the reliability doesn't improve I'm definitely selling before warranty expires.

I have tried so hard not to live my life worrying about what might happen. It just doesn’t work, I have found. We are all smart enough here to realize that buying a car from a brand new company has risks. If you truly are worried about the warranty and repairs thereafter, this is the wrong car for you. You might go with something with a long track record of reliability and inexpensive repairs. That, or lease.

I’m going with the hope that these teething problems will have all been ironed out by the time our cars are out of warranty.

There’s also X-care for EV-specific aftermarket warranties. I had them for each of my previous EVs and was pretty happy with the product. If I keep my GT beyond its warranty period I’ll probably do it again.

Like Kerplunk, I maintain all my cars and have kept them all running in top shape without paying dealership prices. I was curious if others here have the same thoughts.

@hydbob Thank you for your respond. I don't wonder about other cars because their components are mechanical and can easily be figured out, sans electrical and computer components.

Nope, don't worry about what's going to happen, always a solution to remedy any unexpected issues. Again, just curious.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful feedback and comments.

I have tried so hard not to live my life worrying about what might happen. It just doesn’t work, I have found. We are all smart enough here to realize that buying a car from a brand new company has risks. If you truly are worried about the warranty and repairs thereafter, this is the wrong car for you. You might go with something with a long track record of reliability and inexpensive repairs. That, or lease.
Thank you for your feedback. Just curious and wanted to get a feel from Lucid owners on their thoughts. This is my first EV and don't have any experience with ownership of an EV. Genuinely curious. Thanks again.

Polar 🐼 took a huge step in purchasing a LUCID. For several years before LUCID , actually considered a TESLA. But wasn’t thrilled on the model S so kept waiting until lo and behold the announcement of LUCID AIR on September 11, 2020 . 👀 ing on the website overnight the style of the AIR mesmerized me and that was it. Placed a deposit and yes this is my first ever EV ! Bobby is correct ! Yes, a new company that has won several awards and is willing to listen to our feedback. It can only get better as we learn more ! Just remember no vehicle is perfect.

One thing to keep in mind about EVs is that there are far fewer things that can go wrong. No timing belts. No hoses. No catalytic converters. And on and on.

It’s basically just a motor, a bunch of computers, and tires. Now, some people are afraid of the computer aspect, and I get that. But generally speaking, computers actually don’t “break down” all that often. Because there are no moving parts. If you get a bad chip, generally you’ll know it early. It won’t just stop working ten years later.

And honestly, the computer thing is no different in any modern ICE car. They’re all pretty CPU dependent as well these days. Plus you have all the moving parts.

The days of fixing your own car in your own garage are long gone.

Like Kerplunk, I maintain all my cars and have kept them all running in top shape without paying dealership prices. I was curious if others here have the same thoughts

Same here. I have always done most of my repair work in a fully stocked garage workshop. From shocks to brakes to timing belts. I did it mostly for fun, taking my mind off the intenseness of my legal work. Doubt I will be able to do anything on the Lucid. I still have my wife's work truck, a 1996 Suburban, when I want to skin some knuckles and get absolutely covered in grease.

The day after the Lucid arrived, I sold my 60 gallon two stage compressor and air tools. Wasn't sad, just progress.

I’m going with the hope that these teething problems will have all been ironed out by the time our cars are out of warranty.

There’s also X-care for EV-specific aftermarket warranties. I had them for each of my previous EVs and was pretty happy with the product. If I keep my GT beyond its warranty period I’ll probably do it again.
Looks like for $7K they’d cover the car up to 150k miles. Hard to tell whether that’s worth it or not. I feel like if the battery/motors make it to 100K miles (or are replaced under Lucid warranty before then) then they’re gonna make it 150k miles. Long mileage EVs seem pretty common and battery degradation/failures seem to happen earlier in the life of the car. Still worth considering though since I own generation 1 of the GT.

Well, I’ve never owned another car that I’ve had in my possession for 2/3 of the time due to its being at the dealer to correct various issues under warranty. My ownership experience thus far has not left me confident on how well the Lucids will age.

Well, I’ve never owned another car that I’ve had in my possession for 2/3 of the time due to its being at the dealer to correct various issues under warranty. My ownership experience thus far has not left me confident on how well the Lucids will age.
As Lucid trains and deploys more technicians the service downtime intervals should shorten considerably, like from days to hours for mobile or in service center repairs. Also, the response time and quality of customer care have improved in my recent experience. For me, the attributes of my AGT so far have compensated for the concern that you rightly express.

As Lucid trains and deploys more technicians the service downtime intervals should shorten considerably, like from days to hours for mobile or in service center repairs. Also, the response time and quality of customer care have improved in my recent experience. For me, the attributes of my AGT so far have compensated for the concern that you rightly express.
To your point, the fact that when I’m out of town for a week and downright miss driving the car speaks to its overall appeal. I love the damn thing, just wish it wasn’t as quirky as it can be at times.

I could have said the same thing about the S55 AMG which was in the shop for 3/4 of the first few months of ownership. Persevered through it all and the car was great!

I could have said the same thing about the S55 AMG which was in the shop for 3/4 of the first few months of ownership. Persevered through it all and the car was great!
My new 2003 CL55 stranded me on a weekend drive not long after delivery but the dealer flat bedded it same afternoon and replaced a control module with no further problems.

My new 2003 CL55 stranded me on a weekend drive not long after delivery but the dealer flat bedded it same afternoon and replaced a control module with no further problems.
The dealer replaced 2 transmission and 2 media consoles during the time. Best part was when we went to go pick it up after a service visit after a media console replacement, the service manager drove the car out to us, and then told us the console was defective and turned it right back around.

Back