Turning Radius

KenAir

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
I have only had the car for a week now and love it. One of many things that I'm impressed with is the very good turning radius. For such a large car, it turns quite sharply. This is very useful for parking and making U-Turns. The Air has suprisingly agile handling!

I am one week into driving my new Touring.

This is a big car, coming out of the BMW 5-series of various models for most of the last 30 years.

Bigger in all respects, but in particular seems much wider. It takes some caution to squeeze into my garage.

Steering seems a bit loose in Smooth but the handling tightens up a bit in Swift which is the preferred driving mode for me. I agree it is very agile for its size and the suspension dynamics are superb. Some tire harshness but at 49 psi, to be expected. I love the quiet whine of the motor when accelerating, sounds like a G6 spooling up for takeoff.

I have only had the car for a week now and love it. One of many things that I'm impressed with is the very good turning radius. For such a large car, it turns quite sharply. This is very useful for parking and making U-Turns. The Air has suprisingly agile handling!
We were also pleasantly surprised by the Air's turning radius. For me the car drives smaller than it appears, though parking does require some care.

I've seen it written that the Lucid is essentially the same size as the Mercedes E Class (ICE) but has more room then the Mercedes S Class (ICE), both interior and overall storage.

My Model S turning radius (it's big) was such a surprise to me when I got the car in 2013. I have noticed my Air Touring seems quite a bit smaller, even though the stats show them pretty close. My Tesla's front suspension seemed to hiccup when I did a U-Turn, which could account for how I perceive it.

I've seen it written that the Lucid is essentially the same size as the Mercedes E Class (ICE) but has more room then the Mercedes S Class (ICE), both interior and overall storage.
Yes, that is the beauty of skateboard design. My Genesis GV60 is only 177" long but has more interior room than a Telluride. The Lucid is the same length as a BMW 5 series (my prior car) but 2" wider.

The Lucid is not a small car. The Mercedes EQS and BMW I7 are hideously long. Maybe they needed an airport limo replacement for the Lincoln Town Cars of yore.

Thank you for the data.

Automotive published dimensions are typically of the body excluding the side mirrors. I think the Lucid mirrors are larger than BMW's due to the integrated cameras and the pointed outer edge. I believe the overall width including mirrors is a bit more more than 2 inches greater.

My perception of size is clearly wrong when it comes to length. I suppose the bathtub effect of sitting 2-3 inches lower in the Lucid has something to do with it. The Lucid Air is about 5,200 lbs. and the BMW 530xi is something like 3,900. That could perhaps factor into perception as well.

I agree the BMW I7 is hideously long, and, well, just plain hideous.

Cheers.

Thank you for the data.

Automotive published dimensions are typically of the body excluding the side mirrors. I think the Lucid mirrors are larger than BMW's due to the integrated cameras and the pointed outer edge. I believe the overall width including mirrors is a bit more more than 2 inches greater.

My perception of size is clearly wrong when it comes to length. I suppose the bathtub effect of sitting 2-3 inches lower in the Lucid has something to do with it. The Lucid Air is about 5,200 lbs. and the BMW 530xi is something like 3,900. That could perhaps factor into perception as well.

I agree the BMW I7 is hideously long, and, well, just plain hideous.

Cheers.
I also think the way the interior door panels are concave makes it feel wider.

I've only had my Touring for 2 weeks, and love it. However, the one complaint I have is that the turning radius seems large to me. I was driving a Porsche Macan which I understand is a smaller vehicle. I suppose it is something to get used to.

I've only had my Touring for 2 weeks, and love it. However, the one complaint I have is that the turning radius seems large to me. I was driving a Porsche Macan which I understand is a smaller vehicle. I suppose it is something to get used to.
Yes. Your Porsche is about a foot shorter.

I noticed the larger turning radius immediately on my test drive, and indeed I was mentally comparing the Lucid to my shorter Mazda 3. My Ford F150 has a much larger radius, but my brain told me comparison to my car was better than my truck.

Back