Trunk button on dash

Dsk101867

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Pure AWD
Hi all,

I don't know if I'm the only one slightly bugged by this, but on the left display there are three buttons - one for opening the charge port (cool), one for unlocking the doors (fantastic) and one for opening the frunk (ugh). In the course of my day to day car life, I would say I use the trunk 95% of the time, to 5% for the frunk. Yes, it's easy enough to open the trunk through the pilot panel, but the fact that there is a dedicated button to the frunk rather than the trunk annoys me slightly every time I open the trunk from the drivers seat.

Do you think this is something that can be changed with a software update? Or are there bigger fish to fry for Lucid?

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm the only one slightly bugged by this, but on the left display there are three buttons - one for opening the charge port (cool), one for unlocking the doors (fantastic) and one for opening the frunk (ugh). In the course of my day to day car life, I would say I use the trunk 95% of the time, to 5% for the frunk. Yes, it's easy enough to open the trunk through the pilot panel, but the fact that there is a dedicated button to the frunk rather than the trunk annoys me slightly every time I open the trunk from the drivers seat.

Do you think this is something that can be changed with a software update? Or are there bigger fish to fry for Lucid?
I think the button for the frunk was put on the left dashboard near the door because there is no physical button on the outside… so you can lean into the car without sitting down and tap it to open the frunk. As far as the trunk goes, there are several buttons inside the car on the pilot panel for that and also a physical button on the outside. Certainly anything can be changed through a software update but I’d be very doubtful that you would see this one.

Hi all,

I agree 100%.

This is a minor annoyance to me, but I'd throw in maybe one whole wishlist buck if it had been on the feature wishlist. I wouldn't write it off, it's just much lower significance than a number of the other things already on that list.

I'm the opposite. I use the Frunk far more often than the trunk. And like Bobby said, there's already a physical button on the trunk. This was the correct design compromise. Having a button right there just inside the window to open the frunk is a godsend.

If they had put a physical button on the outside of the frunk somewhere to open it, I wouldn't care what they put up on the left cockpit panel.

If you look carefully at the Gravity designs, you can see that they've enhanced this left panel quite a bit. Some buttons go away when you are unlikely to need them. Like the frunk when you are moving. And you can expand the section to see more functions. I would not be surprised to see the trunk added there. Which means it could also end up in the Air when 3.0 gets released. But who knows?

I'm the opposite. I use the Frunk far more often than the trunk. And like Bobby said, there's already a physical button on the trunk. This was the correct design compromise. Having a button right there just inside the window to open the frunk is a godsend.
My issue is with other passengers, not opening it for myself. A few times now I've run into the (again, minor) issue that somebody wants to put things in the trunk while I'm waiting in the car - because they're from a world where frunks contain a bunch of hot smelly metal bits - and I'd like to pop the trunk for them. And close it for them, so they don't slam it manually. It takes some fumbling on my part to find the trunk open button on the pilot panel which I use so infrequently, I haven't always been quick enough.

I use the trunk button regularly but honestly I'm glad it's on the main big screen. For me it's far more natural and accessible there than the left screen. It's big and easily within reach.

My issue is with other passengers, not opening it for myself. A few times now I've run into the (again, minor) issue that somebody wants to put things in the trunk while I'm waiting in the car - because they're from a world where frunks contain a bunch of hot smelly metal bits - and I'd like to pop the trunk for them. And close it for them, so they don't slam it manually. It takes some fumbling on my part to find the trunk open button on the pilot panel which I use so infrequently, I haven't always been quick enough.
There are two. One is on the main screen, and one is on the openings screen.

There are two. One is on the main screen, and one is on the openings screen.
Ahh, okay, I always forget that it's on the main screen. Maybe at some point I'll get used to it, it's just currently not the most intuitive / easy to remember how those buttons are spread out.

I didn't see it on the main screen ..... I'll take a look tonight.

Bobby thank you!!! For some reason I never saw it there. Makes a big difference 😁

I like doing the same. I open the trunk and close it for people. I had an issue with the trunk when someone manually pushed it closed and it got out of sync. It took me a few days of rebooting the system for the trunk to align the button with a full close or full open command. So I ask people not to close it manually.

I have a different take on the frunk button on the Left Cockpit Panel... I would like it removed or moved away from the Unlock button.

I use the unlock button on the Cockpit everyday when I'm picking up my daughter in the car line at her school. I can't use the Pilot panel to unlock the doors because the camera turns on as I move up in the line (the car thinks I'm going to park and doesn't want me to hit the car in front of me). I can clear the camera, but it just repeats every time I move forward.

The Frunk button is literally right next to the unlock button which is not an ideal placement. One time I accidentally hit the Frunk button instead of unlock on the Left Cockpit Panel. The Frunk started to open but was caught by the safety latch as the car was still in Drive. Correctly, the Lucid started sounding warnings and flashing lights to indicate the frunk is open and the car is in Drive. I then had to put the car in Park, and then open and close the frunk to secure it.

If I need to open the Frunk, I can push the button on the Pilot panel. I've reached in many times to do the same with the Trunk button standing outside my car. I recognize this may not be ideal but I think it's better than accidentally hitting the frunk when attempting to unlock or even lock the doors.

Last edited:
I have a different take on the frunk button on the Left Cockpit Panel... I would like it removed or moved away from the Unlock button.

I use the unlock button on the Cockpit everyday when I'm picking up my daughter in the car line at her school. I can't use the Pilot panel to unlock the doors because the camera turns on as I move up in the line (the car thinks I'm going to park and doesn't want me to hit the car in front of me). I can clear the camera, but it just repeats every time I move forward.

The Frunk button is literally right next to the unlock button which is not an ideal placement. One time I accidentally hit the Frunk button instead of unlock on the Left Cockpit Panel. The Frunk started to open but was caught by the safety latch as the car was still in Drive. Correctly, the Lucid started sounding warnings and flashing lights to indicate the frunk is open and the car is in Drive. I then had to put the car in Park, and then open and close the frunk to secure it.

If I need to open the Frunk, I can push the button on the Pilot panel. I've reached in many times to do the same with the Trunk button standing outside my car. I recognize this may not be ideal but I think it's better than accidentally hitting the frunk when attempting to unlock or even lock the doors.
There's also an unlock button on the Pilot Panel 😁

There's also an unlock button on the Pilot Panel 😁
Right, but the camera overtakes the Pilot panel because the car thinks I'm parking. So, if i exit out of the overhead camera view, it just comes back on as i progress thru the car line.

If the frunk button were on the right cockpit side, it would never be inadvertently touched when (un)locking the doors. This can also happen without actually touching the screen, just having your finger close to the button can trigger an action.

Basically, the situation (car line) puts me in a situation where the pilot panel isn't an option, and thus am forced to content with a UI situation which isn't great

Last edited:
Right, but the camera overtakes the Pilot panel because the car thinks I'm parking. So, if i exit out of the overhead camera view, it just comes back on as i progress thru the car line.

If the frunk button were on the right cockpit side, it would never be inadvertently touched when (un)locking the doors. This can also happen without actually touching the screen, just having your finger close to the button can trigger an action.

Basically, the situation (car line) puts me in a situation where the pilot panel isn't an option, and thus am forced to content with a UI situation which isn't great
If you pull the door trigger ever so slightly, you can also engage an unlock without actually opening your doors also

If you pull the door trigger ever so slightly, you can also engage an unlock without actually opening your doors also
Oh, that's good. I'm all over trying that one out!

What if…lucid just made the buttons customizable!🤯

In all seriousness, customizable shortcuts is very common nowadays, would be nice if you could pick and choose from a list of actions to put on your left panel.

I tried that and it doesn’t work on my car.

Back