Trip Report - Seattle to Phoenix

Buffalo Bob

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Pure AWD 19" No Aeros
Referral Code
MAXED
Just completed our return trip from WA to AZ. A little earlier than usual for us, so we will get a 'chance' to see how the car handles hot weather, but certainly not as hot as it got here earlier in the summer. Took the Boise/Salt Lake/Kanab/Flagstaff route. Pretty much followed the speed limits, but kept the speed down to 75 MPH (true speed) through the 80 MPH limit areas, as many cars seem to do. Got a little over 3.9 miles/kWh. The car once again performed flawlessly, although we did hear a couple inexplicable 'bang' sounds that had us scratching our heads. The inbuilt navigation's remaining range estimates were remarkably accurate. We had DDP recalibrated while in Seattle, and it performed much better this time around. Still though, it can't handle places where the right lane markers disappear for on/off ramps; especially when that happens on curves, wherein the car would try to leave the road. Does pretty well on two lane roads though! That said, the car is so easy to drive that I don't much care about HA until it gets further refined and hands-off / eyes-on becomes available.

Unfortunately, we have not received 2.4.0 yet. Too bad that 'early OTA download' list never got implemented...at least for me. It would have been fun to try out on such a trip!

Hope you had a good stay here in Sammamish.

Funny thing. One day this summer, my kid came home from a walk and showed me a picture of a Lucid they'd seen. I took one look and said... "pretty sure that's Buffalo Bob". My kid, at first, thought I was nuts.

Hope you had a good stay here in Sammamish.

Funny thing. One day this summer, my kid came home from a walk and showed me a picture of a Lucid they'd seen. I took one look and said... "pretty sure that's Buffalo Bob". My kid, at first, thought I was nuts.
That is funny. Thanks... we did indeed have another great summer in Sammamish, with the weather being particularly good. If your son photographed a cosmos silver Lucid, it was probably me, as I never saw another one. Were you the zenith red one I saw several times? Actually, I was surprised at how often I saw Lucids in the area. Wish we could have stayed there a little longer, as it's still pretty darn hot here!

Just completed our return trip from WA to AZ. A little earlier than usual for us, so we will get a 'chance' to see how the car handles hot weather, but certainly not as hot as it got here earlier in the summer. Took the Boise/Salt Lake/Kanab/Flagstaff route. Pretty much followed the speed limits, but kept the speed down to 75 MPH (true speed) through the 80 MPH limit areas, as many cars seem to do. Got a little over 3.9 miles/kWh. The car once again performed flawlessly, although we did hear a couple inexplicable 'bang' sounds that had us scratching our heads. The inbuilt navigation's remaining range estimates were remarkably accurate. We had DDP recalibrated while in Seattle, and it performed much better this time around. Still though, it can't handle places where the right lane markers disappear for on/off ramps; especially when that happens on curves, wherein the car would try to leave the road. Does pretty well on two lane roads though! That said, the car is so easy to drive that I don't much care about HA until it gets further refined and hands-off / eyes-on becomes available.

Unfortunately, we have not received 2.4.0 yet. Too bad that 'early OTA download' list never got implemented...at least for me. It would have been fun to try out on such a trip!
Curious how you did through the Kanab area on the way to Flagstaff. When we make the trip we have been going through Vegas which is the worst part of the entire trip - planning on doing the Flag route next summer. Although we have now sold our WA home and will enjoy the heat more often in the valley. But with frequent excursions to the north to maintain sanity.

Curious how you did through the Kanab area on the way to Flagstaff. When we make the trip we have been going through Vegas which is the worst part of the entire trip - planning on doing the Flag route next summer. Although we have now sold our WA home and will enjoy the heat more often in the valley. But with frequent excursions to the north to maintain sanity.

We hate going through Vegas, with all its crazy-ass drivers, and we really wanted to get out of the heat as quickly as we could. Going through Kanab worked out well, both ways. On the way to Seattle, we charged our Pure AWD to 95% in Flagstaff, went through Kanab without charging, and drove through to Cedar City with close to 100 miles of remaining range on the inbuilt navigation. To be clear, we followed the speed limit the entire way. On the way back, we again charged to 95% in Cedar City, and the inbuilt navigation said we would arrive in Flagstaff with 75 miles of remaining range. Out of an abundance of caution, we added 50 miles of range at the ChargePoint station in Kanab, but it turns out that we would have gotten to Flagstaff with a little more than 75 miles without adding anything. If we had done the Page bypass route, which I forgot about until too late on the return trip, it would have added around ten minutes, but saved some additional energy.

The only unnerving thing is that there is just that one ChargePoint station enroute, but it has a PlugShare rating of 9, a number of CCS AC and DC chargers, and if you need to add, you would probably not have to add much. That said... even their three DC chargers are pretty slow, (ours ran at 27 kW), and I paid $0.73 per kWh for the 11 kWh I added.

The thing is... it's a really scenic and relaxing drive, and the small city of Kanab is quite nice. We plan to spend a night there the next time we head north. Looks like a great place for stargazing!

I should have added that I'm suggesting the following route.... Route 89 north from Flagstaff, then Route 89A west to Kanab, then back on Route 89 north to Route 14 west to Cedar City. BTW, on our total 440 mile leg from Cedar City to Tempe, we hit 4.5 miles/kWh!

I should have added that I'm suggesting the following route.... Route 89 north from Flagstaff, then Route 89A west to Kanab, then back on Route 89 north to Route 14 west to Cedar City. BTW, on our total 440 mile leg from Cedar City to Tempe, we hit 4.5 miles/kWh!
Love going downhill! Thanks for the advice.

That is funny. Thanks... we did indeed have another great summer in Sammamish, with the weather being particularly good. If your son photographed a cosmos silver Lucid, it was probably me, as I never saw another one. Were you the zenith red one I saw several times? Actually, I was surprised at how often I saw Lucids in the area. Wish we could have stayed there a little longer, as it's still pretty darn hot here!
No. I'm a quantum gray touring. You can most frequently find me in the Met Market parking lot. :)

I had a 2 Lucidy day on Sunday. I saw a Pure in Bellevue and another in Bellingham.

Back