Arizona to Washington

Wow! Some of you guys must take pretty robust test drives. I went a couple miles around the block. Never got the car over 45 MPH. I only hit my head on the roof once on the way in, once on the way out, the car drove pretty good, and my ass didn't sweat too bad on the unventilated seats. Good to go! I guess I'm a fool!

Well, to be fair, asking if someone did a thorough test drive isn't defending Lucid. It's just reinforcing one of Bobby's firm mantras: "Buy the car that has the stuff you want now, not stuff it promises to have later."

Car buyers should be careful to research while looking for something that meets their needs. Lucid needs to improve DDPro badly.

Both can be true.
It is perfectly fair to place the onus on the buyer to buy the car that he/she needs now. However, when there are "extras" at additional costs and online visions on how DDPro is going to substantially improve the capabilities with the array of sensors in your car and the option is $10,000+, there was an explicit communication that if you don't pay the extra now, you cannot do so later as a retrofit. While there is a grand vision on how DDPro is so far ahead of competition (as communicated in sales pitches, on Lucid's website, etc.) there is no roadmap and timetable to deliver. How's that different than Lucid's competitors like Company "T"? Company "T"'s FSD is not exactly the benchmark of excellence, but at least they deliver something for you $.

Yes, sometimes the grand vision may have to be pared down or it takes longer to realize. Being in hitech development all my life, I fully understand trials and tribulations of leading edge development. But at no time it is OK to charge extra, communicate a vision, and then no delivery, no communication and no roadmap thereafter.

DDPro's problem is not Bobby's problem. It is Lucid's problem. All I asking is for the moderators not to be dismissive about owners' concerns.

Recently (~3mo ago), I was asked by a perspective Lucid buyer whether he should pay for DDPro. My recommendation to him was a resounding No!

Recently (~3mo ago), I was asked by a perspective Lucid buyer whether he should pay for DDPro. My recommendation to him was a resounding No!

That's especially true when one reads how much Lucid's own literature on the 'promise' of DDP has been watered down over time. Premium, yes. Pro, no.

I am a little put-off by several moderator's constant dismissive comments RE: "didn't you test drive the car before you bought?".

First, the comment is fair with respect to obvious thing such as the comfort of the cabin, headroom, seats etc.. But things that related to DDPro is a different category. First, the Lucid has 14 cameras, various sensors, LIDAR, etc. etc.. Second, Lucid charged extra (significant extra) for DDPro. Yet, over the time I owned my AGT (since Oct 2022), there has been virtually no improvements. And there is no communicated roadmap from Lucid. Even if I were thorough in my test drive, was my expectations for improvements over the past 20 months totally mis calibrated?

As I have noted in prior posts and similar remarks by other owners, Lucid's driver automation features are similar to cars from about 8 years ago. Perhaps my expectations were simply exaggerated.

Bobby, in a recent posting, you agreed with me the DDPro is a disappointment and we didn't get our money's worth.

Bobby, you are one of the most respected contributors to this forum. I urge the moderators to be more fair in their comments and not just defend Lucid no matter what. We all want Lucid to succeed. I don't think Lucid is on the right track!
I am so amazed at various owners divergent experiences - or expectations; no doubt typical of owners of various vehicles, ad infinitum.

FWIW Dept, my brief thoughts/recollections:

My wife and I visited Scottsdale Studio mid January 2022 driving from Cle Elum in our Subaru Ascent. When booking a test drive was informed that Dream Drive was not functional. Both my wife and I participated in a test drive and both totally impressed followed immediately with confirmation of our order selection; Mohave interior, Zephyr Red and 19” wheels.
Then the seeming interminable wait for the Vin, singling start of production.
Finally June notice our vehicle had been delivered to Seattle Service Center, taking delivery June 30, 2022.
The following day we did a round trip to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for dinner and range check (from Cle Elum) which was accomplished using Ellensburg EA for initial charging familiarity and no other charging stops.
July 2022 trip to Denver with hi lite being first Lucid on top Pikes Peak, then August trip to Michigan with longest stretch between chargers was from Tomah Wisconsin to Gaylord Michigan - 465 miles, arriving at Gaylord with 65 indicated miles remaining.
In October 2022, trip to Arizona via SLC, Moab, etc, to Show Low Az.
Now with 39,006 miles incorporating another round trip to Michigan plus many others I have found the 52 OTA updates each incrementally making my Lucid GT an incredible driving experience.
Starting with Nav updates which first experienced navigating via Newark Customer Service routing us at Midnight to Green River UT EA, as Nav had become sporadic that first long range trip.
Later Nav updates include EA in route locations followed by EA routing and remaining miles with a further update factoring in-route characteristics plus vehicle loading. I have found “remaining miles” incredibly accurate.
Of course so many other updates such as battery charging, CarPlay, cockpit panel layout, etc, with Dream Drive (DD) being extremely high on everyone’s list.

I find one of the OTA’s series of updates with increasingly effectiveness is DD.
First no DD, then Adaptive Control (AC) which is similar to my Subaru Ascent’s cruise. Except the Ascent takes far more attention with constant steering inputs and is much more tiring to drive.
Another issue I've found with the Ascent and not Lucid’s is starling tendency to initiate an off ramp turn trying to follow the dew line into an off ramp.
Then OTA’s incorporating Highway Assist (AC) with first release very much lacking, followed shortly by subsequent releases each one an improvement over the previous. Lucid is certainly a long ways from fully autonomous driving, but I have found on the thousands of highway miles of Interstate, AC very comfortable and relaxed driving. Secondary roads not so much nor short sections of interstate which appears to have had much previous road work or through tight sections.
My biggest complaint is the frequency of “keep your hands on the wheel” or “pay attention” alerts while trying to maintain just enough wheel torque without cancelling AC.
I am not an EV aficionado per se, but attracted by utmost build simplicity, overall efficiency and driving experience.
I was initially attracted to Lucid due to range, then reinforced by the team Rawlinson put together which could design and produce a very first world class vehicle getting an initial “Car Of The Year” award all cinched by the Scottsdale test drive.
I have not been disappointed, but looking forward to a Gravity, starting over with elapsed miles at ‘zero’.

Back