Touring GVWR. / Tax deduction

AZair

Cars
Tesla model S
Does anyone know what the official GVWR is in the Touring? I believe the GT is around 6300 lbs and I have heard different numbers for the Touring. Less battery will definitely make it lighter. If the Touring is still above 6000 lbs GVWR then it would also qualify for the section 179 tax deduction, if you use it for small business, which is a massive deduction. I believe you can write off up to 100% but I think it has to be a purchase not a lease to take full advantage. Still trying to decide on leasing or purchasing my upcoming Touring delivery. Any input would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know what the official GVWR is in the Touring? I believe the GT is around 6300 lbs and I have heard different numbers for the Touring. Less battery will definitely make it lighter. If the Touring is still above 6000 lbs GVWR then it would also qualify for the section 179 tax deduction, if you use it for small business, which is a massive deduction. I believe you can write off up to 100% but I think it has to be a purchase not a lease to take full advantage. Still trying to decide on leasing or purchasing my upcoming Touring delivery. Any input would be much appreciated.
The Touring does not qualify for section 179 which is how I ended up with a GT.

Do we know the actual GVWR? How did you find out it doesn’t qualify?
The sales guy told me that the GT is the only one that weighs 6k pounds. I didn’t ask as I didn’t know about that IRS code (my husband usually buys the work vehicles) so wasn’t considering it for the business until I heard that.

Nobody really knows exactly, that is the problem. I asked my delivery guy again and he said the Touring with 20” wheels is above 6000 lbs. He literally took a picture of the tag off a newly delivered Touring and it said “GVWR 6283lb”. If true it seems like it would qualify for the 179 deduction. If that is the case I believe you have to purchase not lease.

Nobody really knows exactly, that is the problem. I asked my delivery guy again and he said the Touring with 20” wheels is above 6000 lbs. He literally took a picture of the tag off a newly delivered Touring and it said “GVWR 6283lb”. If true it seems like it would qualify for the 179 deduction. If that is the case I believe you have to purchase not lease.
GVWR is the maximum safe weight of the vehicle including the car itself, passengers, stuff, etc. The car itself is around 5200 pounds.

Leases can qualify for 179 deductions as long as they meet certain criteria.

Yes exactly… passengers , contents etc is usually 800-1000 lbs extra so should be > 6000lbs
You posted twice. I answered on your other thread:
lucid air touring has approximately 5630 lb GVWR

The GT GVWR is 6283lb. The Touring has approx. 18% less batteries (very heavy) and a few less features than GT, it is less than the GT's GVWR and it is most likely less than 6000lb.

Last edited:

Touring 4dr All-Wheel Drive Sedan
2023 Lucid Air Pricing​

2023 Years 2023 2022
INTERIOR
Front head room40 "
Rear head room38 "
Front shoulder room58 "
Rear shoulder room55 "
Front leg room45.4 "
Rear leg room37.4 "
Luggage capacity16.1 Cu.ft.
Maximum cargo capacity23.2 Cu.ft.
Standard seating5
EXTERIOR
Length195.9 "
Body width76.3 "
Body height55.4 "
Wheelbase116.5 "
Curb5,203 Lbs.
Gross weight6,283 Lbs.
FUEL
EPA mileage estimatesN/A
PERFORMANCE
Horsepower620 Hp
Drive typeAll-Wheel
Turning radius19.5 ''

Touring 4dr All-Wheel Drive Sedan​

2023 Lucid Air Pricing​

2023 Years 2023 2022
INTERIOR
Front head room40 "
Rear head room38 "
Front shoulder room58 "
Rear shoulder room55 "
Front leg room45.4 "
Rear leg room37.4 "
Luggage capacity16.1 Cu.ft.
Maximum cargo capacity23.2 Cu.ft.
Standard seating5
EXTERIOR
Length195.9 "
Body width76.3 "
Body height55.4 "
Wheelbase116.5 "
Curb5,203 Lbs.
Gross weight6,283 Lbs.
FUEL
EPA mileage estimatesN/A
PERFORMANCE
Horsepower620 Hp
Drive typeAll-Wheel
Turning radius19.5 '

Here's a pic of my touring door jamb. No formal listing of gvwr.
PXL_20221226_010543676.jpg

So if the curb weight as filed with the EPA is to be believed, the Touring has about 200 lbs greater payload capacity than GT.

Makes sense. It’s probably the difference in battery pack weight and maybe lighter front seats? Structurally both models are probably the same thus the same gvwr

Back