Took delivery on Sat... Here are my thoughts

@Neurio has discovered if you pause the song you are listening to before exiting, it will keep the place and the playlist you were listening to when you return.
Just did it this morning as I exited the car for work. We'll see how this works out when I get off work.

Tidal app needs an update in the Lucid, it's really annoying using the app to type stuff and not being able to add favorites. I have to use my phone and the car app in tandem to search new songs. Also there's no song radio option or recommendation lists in the Lucid.

There's a bunch of features from Tidal missing

I won't go into the Lucid Financial issues. That is in another thread.

The car looked good in the studio where I signed off on everything but once I got it home I noticed some slight issues in direct sunlight. They had me take photos and they have already reached out for me to come in. Although the car had 24 miles I feel like maybe it was sitting outside waiting on a home for a while. It is super dirty in all the crevices.

I never test drove the car but the ride is really good. The initial acceleration when you slightly push the gas isn't as smooth as my Tesla. I can feel the difference. It isn't bad but the Tesla just feels smoother on initial contact with the pedal. Once you get rolling it is an amazing ride. I am not sure how they have the car geared but it has really good acceleration even at higher speeds. Almost feels like it has a second gear.

Dreamdrive pro is pretty underwhelming coming from a Tesla with FSD Beta but I knew that going in. It does stay centered in lanes that well and it always pulls to one side at entrance ramps but I am sure it will get better over time.

I know this is controversial on here but as an audio guy... Surreal Sound Pro kinda sucks. I mean if you find the perfect song on Tidal and its mixed right it sounds decent at best. When I think it sounds ok I hop back in my tesla and then I realize how bad the Lucid is. The Tesla sounds good on any song. Not just Atmos songs so the audio is so far the most disappointing feature.

I am only 250 miles in but I love the look. I love the luxury and I will be patient as more updates come in. I am not sure what can be done with the audio except go aftermarket.

Oh, I immediately took the aero covers off my 20s. I just think the car looks better without them as I wait on my Avant Garde 22s to be made.
For sound quality, is that previous problem with the front woofers fixed in all current models? That makes a huge difference especially when listening to music in the front seats.

For sound quality, is that previous problem with the front woofers fixed in all current models? That makes a huge difference especially when listening to music in the front seats.
What problem is that? My front woofer definitely sounds bad.

Thanks. I will check em out. I guess my point is this is the first car that I had to listen to a certain song in a certain format for the sound system to shine. Other cars it just sounds good no matter what you listen to.

It's not a deal breaker, in my opinion it just doesn't sound like what an upgraded sound system should sound like.
Put your music library on a USB FAT32 formatted drive (you’ll need a very small physical size one as the Lucid USB slot is badly designed in terms of ergonomics). You won’t be disappointed with the sound and it’s not in Atmos format. I was in pro audio for 9 years, I’ve heard mixes in the Lucid that sounded like I was back in the studio, and none of it was in Atmos format either. It all comes down to source material quality, and the Lucid exposes flaws in inferior streaming compression formats. As far as loudness goes, the system is calibrated so that 80% of the volume wheel is 79dB. This is standard for a small professional recording/mixing studio, and is plenty loud. See here for additional details: https://www.lucidupdates.com/faq.html

Put your music library on a USB FAT32 formatted drive (you’ll need a very small physical size one as the Lucid USB slot is badly designed in terms of ergonomics). You won’t be disappointed with the sound and it’s not in Atmos format. I was in pro audio for 9 years, I’ve heard mixes in the Lucid that sounded like I was back in the studio, and none of it was in Atmos format either. It all comes down to source material quality, and the Lucid exposes flaws in inferior streaming compression formats. As far as loudness goes, the system is calibrated so that 80% of the volume wheel is 79dB. This is standard for a small professional recording/mixing studio, and is plenty loud. See here for additional details: https://www.lucidupdates.com/faq.html
Definitely not going back to loading music on a thumb drive. I am an audio enthusiast and I know good sound when I hear it. Now, to your point, some songs from tidal it Atmos sound really good. Some in Atmos sound really bad. I assume that is because of whoever mixed it. I get that… My Model Y only has 13 speakers and pretty much every song sounds at least decent but most sound really good. Some sound great. There is never a time no matter how a song is mixed that I feel the sound in the Tesla is bad. In the Lucid I am having to pick what I wanna listen to based on how songs are mixed.

I am dropping my car off on Wednesday for some other issues and will have them check it out just to make sure things are working properly.

Definitely not going back to loading music on a thumb drive. I am an audio enthusiast and I know good sound when I hear it. Now, to your point, some songs from tidal it Atmos sound really good. Some in Atmos sound really bad. I assume that is because of whoever mixed it. I get that… My Model Y only has 13 speakers and pretty much every song sounds at least decent but most sound really good. Some sound great. There is never a time no matter how a song is mixed that I feel the sound in the Tesla is bad. In the Lucid I am having to pick what I wanna listen to based on how songs are mixed.

I am dropping my car off on Wednesday for some other issues and will have them check it out just to make sure things are working properly.
I’m sure you know then that even Spotify premium subscription sounds inferior to 24bit/96khz. Tidal can be closer to lossless, and Apple Lossless is comparable to Tidal HiFi/MQA (but it depends a lot on the source). I’ve done A/B comparison between Tidal HiFi format of some tracks I was in the mix studio for and heard 1,000 times with the same 24bit/96khz files on USB and it was pretty damn close. Those were stereo 2 channel tracks down-mixed from Dolby Digitial 5.1. The only thing you might lose between streaming formats vs 24/96khz is very quiet sounds like room reverberation or nuances of the violin bow, etc.

The short answer is if you play the Atmos version of INXS Mediate in the car, if you think it doesn’t sound good or not enough bass then there might be something wrong with your car (possibly needing the Butyl tape fix over the driver sidewall).

I’m sure you know then that even Spotify premium subscription sounds inferior to 24bit/96khz. Tidal can be closer to lossless, and Apple Lossless is comparable to Tidal HiFi/MQA (but it depends a lot on the source). I’ve done A/B comparison between Tidal HiFi format of some tracks I was in the mix studio for and heard 1,000 times with the same 24bit/96khz files on USB and it was pretty damn close. Those were stereo 2 channel tracks down-mixed from Dolby Digitial 5.1. The only thing you might lose between streaming formats vs 24/96khz is very quiet sounds like room reverberation or nuances of the violin bow, etc.

The short answer is if you play the Atmos version of INXS Mediate in the car, if you think it doesn’t sound good or not enough bass then there might be something wrong with your car (possibly needing the Butyl tape fix over the driver sidewall).
They are going to look at it on Wednesday.
When I open the frunk and music is playing... apparently, there is a center speaker there. It sounds really bad. Almost like it is blown. I know there is a whole thread on that topic so we will see if that is the problem. Also, they are giving me a loaner so will be interested to hear how that car sounds.

Oh, i was listening to Tidal HIFI in the Tesla. Then I decided to listen to the same song on Spotify and there was a small difference but overall I enjoyed the music on either platform. With Lucid, from my one week experience it really depends on who mixed the song in the studio for it to sound good or not. The speakers or amp isn't going to help if it wasn't perfectly mixed. lol. Hopefully it is an issue with my car and later this week I can report back that it is now amazing

When I open the frunk and music is playing... apparently, there is a center speaker there. It sounds really bad. Almost like it is blown. I know there is a whole thread on that topic so we will see if that is the problem. Also, they are giving me a loaner so will be interested to hear how that car sounds.
There are many cars where the bracket holding that center speaker was not properly tightened. There was a song on my thumb drive that would create a realy bad vibration from that speaker. Service looked at it and tightened the bracket which fixed the problem for me. They also took my thumb drive to five other cars and four of the five also had the same problem.

Oh wow, yeah that center speaker actually sounds great so yours might have a defect. The perfect test of your center channel is this song: https://tidal.com/track/243209469

One of the best uses of Atmos I’ve ever heard as they mix the vocal straight to the center speaker so it sounds like she’s on a stage right in front of your face, with the instrumentalists spread across the stage, so it really feels like you’re sitting in a Paris cafe.

Oh wow, yeah that center speaker actually sounds great so yours might have a defect. The perfect test of your center channel is this song: https://tidal.com/track/243209469

One of the best uses of Atmos I’ve ever heard as they mix the vocal straight to the center speaker so it sounds like she’s on a stage right in front of your face, with the instrumentalists spread across the stage, so it really feels like you’re sitting in a Paris cafe.
Mine sounds like an NYC Subway cafe. lol

Hahaha yeah that’s bad.
Ok I checked the songs you recommended. It may help if you knew the kind of music I listen to. A soundtrack that sounds amazing in my Tesla is "metro boomin presents Spider-Man: across the spiderverse" if you don't like rap look past the lyrics. Lol

Check these tracks

1. annihilate
3. All the way like
4. Danger

For a bonus track try Migos - straightenin (Atmos)

All have some pretty hard hitting bass at different frequecies.

Added to my playlist. Can't wait to give it a listen in the car tomorrow.

Back