Tips needed - Planning 1500 Miles round trip

Frankly, there no need to use a fancy branded/specialized plug. Just have your electrician install a 4-prong dryer plug. Ive been using that for my Tesla for 8 years, and now my Lucid. It gives me 38 miles per hr of charge.... much faster than my Tesla charges.

For the record, one of my companies manufacturers. Installs and operates EV chargers, and still i use a standard dryer plug!! 😁

And there are splitters at dry’s plug level.

Frankly, there no need to use a fancy branded/specialized plug. Just have your electrician install a 4-prong dryer plug. Ive been using that for my Tesla for 8 years, and now my Lucid. It gives me 38 miles per hr of charge.... much faster than my Tesla charges.

For the record, one of my companies manufacturers. Installs and operates EV chargers, and still i use a standard dryer plug!! 😁

Frankly, the anecdotal advice above is dead wrong and dangerous. It contrary to established facts, codes and regulations.

Before you go pontificating with deadly wrong information that can HURT people, you should do some research. There at dozens if not hundreds of documented cases of house and garage fires from people using exactly what you advocate: using cheap $9 dryer receptacles for continuous EV charging. HOMES AND GARAGES HAVE BURNED DOWN. The fact that you use the word PLUGS to describe a receptacle indicates that you have no knowledge of mains electricity. Try using Google before spouting off. There are many YouTubes with REAL master electricians and real electronic engineers SHOWING THE SAME DRYER "PLUGS" or receptacles that are MELTED, when used for continuous EV charging.

Your suggested cheap dryer "receptables" are made for INTERMITTENT use. The NEC (that's the National Electric Code if you do not know) defines intermittent use as less than 3 hours of use at a time. That is why they are approved for DRYERS and STOVES. Those intended uses are less than 3 hours at a time. They work FINE FOR THAT INTENDED USE.

EV charging is CONTINUOUS USE. A typical EV Level 2 home charging set up can put out 40 amps for 6 to 8 hours or more. For CONTINOUS USE applications, the NEC and state codes have an entire different set of electrical requirements for equipment, wiring, overload devices and circuits. This impacts not just the receptable, but all the wiring and overcurrent devices in the circuit. By Code, the wiring and breakers for a Level 2 EV charger MUST BE downrated by 20%. I.E. A 50 amp breaker for an EV charging circuit CANNOT power a charger at more than 40 amps - a 20% reduction, as well as wiring gauge increases.

For that reason, master electricians and engineers specify that for CONTINOUS use EV charging, an industrial grade RECEPTALCE should be used. The best ones are Hubble and from their other company, Bryant. THEY ARE RATED FOR CONTINOUS USE. They are NOT FANCY; they are purpose built for continuous industrial loads, like EV charging.

In addition, if you are searched this forum and the Tesla forums, you will dozens of anecdotal problems and issues reported by people using what your "standard dryer plugs." They include having the receptable melt, receptacle too hot to touch, and MANY cases of the ACTUAL PLUG attached to the charging cable getting so hot that the Tesla and Lucid and Chargepoint equipment ramps down the amperage to reduce heat. Fortunately, the Tesla and Lucid and I suspect other charging cords have heat sensors in the actual plugs so that if they get too hot, amperage is reduced or charging stops. I have seen numerous reports on this site as well and Tesla sites of people have all sorts of Level 2 home charging slow down issues that were FULLY RESOLVED when they replaced their $9 big box receptacle with an industrial rated continuous duty RECEPTABLCE.

FOR THE RECORD, if "one of your companies manufactures installs and operates EV chargers," PLEASE TELL ME where they are so I can avoid being electrocuted at them.

Some great tips provided above. I find ABRP a little conservative concerning battery consumption. If it says I will use 50% of the battery, I usually use 45%. This is on 400 mile trips. Never plan on charging at the last possible charger, it may not be working.
I think someone who's done many road trips in the Lucid using ABRP needs to put up screenshots of their settings. Last time I used it, it was all over the place with results of destination arrival %

Use PlugShare, I just done a 2300 miles trail through the loneliest part of the states (central Nevada). With AGT’s amazing efficiency and mileage, I was more than survived. Checkout my post with title 2300 miles road-trip

Use PlugShare, I just done a 2300 miles trail through the loneliest part of the states (central Nevada). With AGT’s amazing efficiency and mileage, I was more than survived. Checkout my post with title 2300 miles road-trip
I am now in Toronto Canada on my way from Fremont CA to Montreal Canada in Pure AWD DDp. I am averaging 4miles per KWh. Using HA set between 68 and 72 AC 75F fan speed 8. During the trip I got 2.1.3 which fixed HA and charge authentication issues I had before Vegas. Now on 2.1.10. Only a single surprise alarm tone in Chicago and it went away after trying logo reset first, the nuke reset and finally the walk away reset and driving for few minutes. 3k miles so far. It will 6.5k to 7k miles when I get back. The EA network is at best 60% reliable. I never go to a station with only 1 available charger unless I have no choice. Ivy network in Canada is 50 or 100kw in most places and very few 150kw. Ironically from 55% to 90% the 100kw ivy actually did better than many EA 150 and 350 stations.

Back