• NACS

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • CCS

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And here’s Tom’s video:
Nice five minutes of fame! When he was talking to you, he mentioned to disable plug and charge at problematic EA stations. Is there a setting in the UI to disable? My vehicle is still at the service center so I don’t have it to check for myself.

Same here. I wash the car at least twice a week. And then it always snows again a few days later.
Any thing to take car while washing besides auto wipers ??

Any thing to take car while washing besides auto wipers ??
I’ve gotten into the habit of using the keycard to lock the doors before beginning. Keeps the proximity function from constantly presenting the handles and unfolding the mirrors. That way, the door handles remain down the entire exterior wash.

When drying, the frunk and trunk get a TON of water trapped in the niches. So I usually start by opening both and wiping down inside where all the water is seeping out. But I try to finish drying both before ten minutes or so, because then you get the whole thing where the trunk and frunk won’t auto close if they’ve been open too long.

Nice five minutes of fame! When he was talking to you, he mentioned to disable plug and charge at problematic EA stations. Is there a setting in the UI to disable? My vehicle is still at the service center so I don’t have it to check for myself.
You have to ask Lucid service to do it on the phone, not straightforward but Kyle Connor had a problem where it wouldn’t authenticate and that fixed it. Mine isn’t an authentication error though, it’s after the handshake, it just quits charging one second after starting.

And here’s Tom’s video:
Did you go with a front plate out of fear of a ticket? Do they really enforce that? In NY we‘re required to have the front plate but it’s rarely enforced. Worst case scenario is you get a fix it ticket.

So far I’ve been OK with no front plate on my i4 despite passing many cops. I just told my inside delivery advisor I wouldn’t want it on my Lucid either. Watch, today I’ll get a ticket.

When drying, the frunk and trunk get a TON of water trapped in the niches. So I usually start by opening both and wiping down inside where all the water is seeping out. But I try to finish drying both before ten minutes or so, because then you get the whole thing where the trunk and frunk won’t auto close if they’ve been open too long.
Joe, is there a reason they won’t auto close after 10 minutes? Is that an intentional design decision?

Did you go with a front plate out of fear of a ticket? Do they really enforce that? In NY we‘re required to have the front plate but it’s rarely enforced. Worst case scenario is you get a fix it ticket.

So far I’ve been OK with no front plate on my i4 despite passing many cops. I just told my inside delivery advisor I wouldn’t want it on my Lucid either. Watch, today I’ll get a ticket.
Yeah they’ll nail you for not having front plate in Rhode Island. It’s ugly but I’d rather not draw police attention.

DC fast charging cables are liquid cooled to keep the conductor temperatures and outside of the cable at reasonable temperatures. One reason that current is throttled by the charger is the charger detecting that the cable is getting to hot. Since there is no way to cool it or sense the temperature, you will not find a DC fast charging extension cord.

Joe, is there a reason they won’t auto close after 10 minutes? Is that an intentional design decision?
According to Lucid, it’s intentional. I think it has something to do with how it stores the state of opening. Maybe after ten minutes, the car goes to sleep and “forgets” the frunk is open? Pure speculation. Could be a safety thing, for all we know.

But it’s not a bug, according to Lucid. So I’ll take them at their word. It could be a design decision they eventually reconsider. After all, they changed the auto-wipers to remembering where you had them last. And the audio volume. So they do change their minds sometimes.

According to Lucid, it’s intentional. I think it has something to do with how it stores the state of opening. Maybe after ten minutes, the car goes to sleep and “forgets” the frunk is open? Pure speculation. Could be a safety thing, for all we know.

But it’s not a bug, according to Lucid. So I’ll take them at their word. It could be a design decision they eventually reconsider. After all, they changed the auto-wipers to remembering where you had them last. And the audio volume. So they do change their minds sometimes.
There's a switch that detects when the trunk/frunk are closed, so the "forgets" concept wouldn't make sense.

DC fast charging cables are liquid cooled to keep the conductor temperatures and outside of the cable at reasonable temperatures. One reason that current is throttled by the charger is the charger detecting that the cable is getting to hot. Since there is no way to cool it or sense the temperature, you will not find a DC fast charging extension cord.
Correction: SOME DC fast-charging cables are liquid cooled. The 350kw EA chargers and the Gen 3 Tesla ones are for sure. Older ones aren't, but I don't see anybody supporting an extension cord, there's too much risk involved.

Yeah I guess they both had the same idea as me, it was the first day it was open to CCS cars (I think Kyle's dad went there in the middle of the night last night and was the first person to charge a CCS car on Tesla V3). It was rather funny pulling up and seeing Marques filming already and then Tom pulls up 10 minutes later. I gotta say the Lightning is pretty impressive in terms of overall capability. It's a true truck that can do damn near anything, it can power your house, it can charge your other EV, BlueCruise ADAS is currently better than most ADAS out there. The only downside is the car itself actually doesn't display the kW speed as you're charging which is weird, and of course the efficiency is terrible. Tom told me he got 1.7mi/kwh on the way there. It was 30F, and I got 3.6 mi/kwh! I was doing it as a 70mph range test, here's the pic to prove it. This was taken before I started pre-conditioning the battery so it was about 20 miles short of where the charger was at. It's a reminder of how awesome this car is, I literally got more than double the efficiency as the Lightning. Tom commented on how much he loves the Lucid and how blown away by it he was when he did his range test.
@Bunnylebowski: Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to travel to the supercharger and educate all of us in the technique and possible pitfalls (like short cables). It was good to see you in Tom’s video. I have questions.

Did you use the standard Tesla app? I have the Tesla app for use with my Model S. I opened the app and could not access any screens that would allow charging of a non-Tesla vehicle. I could not find any screen to designate the number of my supercharger so that the CCS adapter would be released. How does this work? Is the standard Tesla app geofenced so that these screens appear only when you are located at a Supercharger capable of non-Tesla charging.

The Ford Lightning did look impressive but it has a major problem. Like the Chevy Silverado EV and the Cybertruck, these vehicles are HUGE, averaging 231” in length. That is over three feet longer than my Model S. It will difficult to squeeze these behemoths into the typical garage.

Thanks again for continuing to educate all forum members. Contributions such as this continues to maintain my interest and keeps me reading everyday.

@Bunnylebowski: Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to travel to the supercharger and educate all of us in the technique and possible pitfalls (like short cables). It was good to see you in Tom’s video. I have questions.

Did you use the standard Tesla app? I have the Tesla app for use with my Model S. I opened the app and could not access any screens that would allow charging of a non-Tesla vehicle. I could not find any screen to designate the number of my supercharger so that the CCS adapter would be released. How does this work? Is the standard Tesla app geofenced so that these screens appear only when you are located at a Supercharger capable of non-Tesla charging.

The Ford Lightning did look impressive but it has a major problem. Like the Chevy Silverado EV and the Cybertruck, these vehicles are HUGE, averaging 231” in length. That is over three feet longer than my Model S. It will difficult to squeeze these behemoths into the typical garage.

Thanks again for continuing to educate all forum members. Contributions such as this continues to maintain my interest and keeps me reading everyday.
Yes. It is the standard Tesla app.

On the main screen, click on the upper right human head icon.

That opens up swiping pages.

Swipe from right to left to reach the last page "charge your non-Tesla"

Yeah when you pull up to the charger site, it will list the chargers by number after you choose "charge my non-tesla vehicle", you pick which one you're at, release the magic dock, plug in and it will start charging. While it's slow on the Lucid due to the DC/DC conversion standards of the Wunderbox (and Tesla's standard not actually being a "standard" like CCS), it felt much more polished and slick and quick than any CCS DC Fast chargers. You just plug it in once you've chosen it from the app and it works and starts almost immediately, none of this spinning icon crap or slow handshakes. If the speeds were better and the cables reached the car (you really do have to park like I did in the video), I'd never charge at anywhere other than Tesla if I could avoid it because the actual functionality of it is better than any other DCFC. But because of the speed and near impossibility of the cable reaching, it's unlikely I'll ever charge at Tesla unless out of options.

V4 Tesla Supercharger arrived in Europe: longer cable, 1000v, 615a.

The current 400-volt V3 is too low for Lucid to use a higher charging rate. Hopefully, the new 1000V will fix that.

I see Tesla just opened their first SC location with CCS adapters on L.I. I’m sure the short cable won’t reach my i4’s port anyway, which is located in much the same location as the Lucid. Between the short cable and their $0.51/kWh rate, I doubt they’ll see much non-Tesla usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back