Switching into reverse automatically?

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi All:
Back from vacation and starting to drive my new GT. I love the car, but have a few questions for the group! #1 is concerning!
  1. I pulled up to a light today. When it turned green, the car was in reverse -- I definitely did not put the car into reverse. So, not cool. Has anybody experienced that?
  2. Car is still offgassing significantly and I get bad reactions to that. I bought a new '22 to avoid this problem, but it turns out the car was all wrapped up so its still like a new car. In particular, the heating system smells like glue a bit (I posted on this earlier). Any thoughts on how long the cars offgass? My wife will be driving it mostly until its a little better (but i will be taking spins now and then just to get my fix!)
Thanks!

Hi All:
Back from vacation and starting to drive my new GT. I love the car, but have a few questions for the group! #1 is concerning!
  1. I pulled up to a light today. When it turned green, the car was in reverse -- I definitely did not put the car into reverse. So, not cool. Has anybody experienced that?
  2. Car is still offgassing significantly and I get bad reactions to that. I bought a new '22 to avoid this problem, but it turns out the car was all wrapped up so its still like a new car. In particular, the heating system smells like glue a bit (I posted on this earlier). Any thoughts on how long the cars offgass? My wife will be driving it mostly until its a little better (but i will be taking spins now and then just to get my fix!)
Thanks!
1. Never heard of that happening here on the forums or Reddit.

2. Maybe just run the heater full blast in your garage with the windows open for a few hours?

Re: 1, are you sure it switched into reverse, or did the cameras just turn on? That can happen if you get too close to the car in front of you or if a car behind you gets too close to yours.

I have never ever heard of it spontaneously changing gear.

Reactions: FM7
1. Never heard of that happening here on the forums or Reddit.

2. Maybe just run the heater full blast in your garage with the windows open for a few hours?
Good to hear on the reverse -- I'm struggling a bit to operate the car -- so it's possible i just moved the lever incorrectly.
I've got the car in the garage with windows open. It seems to be slowly improving -- I like the heater idea, thanks.

Great car! It's different though!

Re: 1, are you sure it switched into reverse, or did the cameras just turn on? That can happen if you get too close to the car in front of you or if a car behind you gets too close to yours.

I have never ever heard of it spontaneously changing gear.
It was not the cameras, it actually was in R. I've a really good driver, but I'll assume it was a user error for now. It's brand new and operates differently from my older M4.

Thanks!

It almost sounds like the car is in ‘Roll’ mode which I never use. If you’re on an incline with roll engaged, roll backwards or forwards you will depending upon the incline.

It was not the cameras, it actually was in R. I've a really good driver, but I'll assume it was a user error for now. It's brand new and operates differently from my older M4.

Thanks!
Did you see that it had selected 'R' or did the car simply roll in reverse? The roll function if activated will go where ever gravity takes it. Occasionally if you are on an incline and use the brake instead of allowing the Hold to take effect, it will act like the active roll function. I have learned not to use the brake in these situations and the problem resolved for me. I once had the call towed because it kept going into Roll and it turned out I was not aware of the roll setting change after an update

Had the bad chemical smell on my pure. Not at all new car smell like, more pungent chemical smell. Took a month to go away

1. Car is still offgassing significantly and I get bad reactions to that. I bought a new '22 to avoid this problem, but it turns out the car was all wrapped up so its still like a new car. In particular, the heating system smells like glue a bit (I posted on this earlier). Any thoughts on how long the cars offgass? My wife will be driving it mostly until its a little better (but i will be taking spins now and then just to get my fix!)
Thanks!

I've been parking with the windows down in the garage for a few nights to get the smell of Scotchgard out. The new car smell has gone down quite a bit too but a hint still remains.

The car went into reverse UP a hill. Assuming it was user error for now. I’m struggling to adapt to the car (not a complaint, it’s just really different). Today was easier. Also smell improved, though still bothersome. Thanks for all your thoughts.

The car went into reverse UP a hill. Assuming it was user error for now. I’m struggling to adapt to the car (not a complaint, it’s just really different). Today was easier. Also smell improved, though still bothersome. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Just to help clarify. Were you driving up the hill in drive and the car went into reverse but was going down hill? Or the other way around where you were in drive going down the hill and the car reversed up the hill?

I was driving down a hill. I stoped for a truck in front of me. When I started to go, the car was in reverse and started up the hill. I stopped rifjt away. A do think it could have been user error, but it it was super strange!

I was driving down a hill. I stoped for a truck in front of me. When I started to go, the car was in reverse and started up the hill. I stopped rifjt away. A do think it could have been user error, but it it was super strange!
That is very strange and tells us that your car did not just revert to roll mode since it would not roll uphill. I cannot say if it was pilot error or the car. I and a few others have seen the car go the wrong way after parking on slope. That has been fixed by OTA. I have never heard of a case of the car doing that after stopping at a stoplight.

not sure what you mean by "going the wrong wat after parking on slope". Just trying to understand as I'm pretty new here!

Ahh, thanks. That would be disconcerting!

Back