Sudden violent slamming on brakes

That’s… super odd, and not the same system. Did you hit a bad pothole or something? That means the car thought you were already *in* a collision.
Yeah dunno, it just booted me from cruise control and jabbed the brakes, didn't really slow down or lose power at all. I heard a loud thunk in the rear but couldn't find any evidence of hitting any pothole or running over something...

Anyways car is due for a running list of collected items to get looked at...
 
The rule of thumb is to be able to see the rear tires of the car in front of you touching the pavement.
Using the front camera I can definitely see the rear tires of the car in front of me…check.

I see the majority of cars stop bumper to bumper for no reason.
I’m good with this, it means less stopped cars for me to be able to get to the left turn lane. I hate it when cars are stopped 2-3 car lengths away from each other and it prevents me from being able to get to the turn lane.
It also creates a lot more traffic on the highway.
 
Hmmm... Not sure about all that. When driving in LA if you leave a car length in front of you another car WILL pull into that space
There's the quick and the dead...that's it

Isn't there a way to disable the jarring braking thingy...I mean, I've never rear ended anybody in 47yrs of driving!
 
Yeah dunno, it just booted me from cruise control and jabbed the brakes, didn't really slow down or lose power at all. I heard a loud thunk in the rear but couldn't find any evidence of hitting any pothole or running over something...

Anyways car is due for a running list of collected items to get looked at...
A loud thunk sounds like something got hit. Check the underside?

That’s super weird.
 
Hmmm... Not sure about all that. When driving in LA if you leave a car length in front of you another car WILL pull into that space
[…]
True - leave a car length and that spot is fair game. I take advantage of that myself! However, being able to see the wheels of the car in front of you is only 1/4 to 1/2 a car length - not enough for someone to squeeze in, especially when everyone is stopped.

I’ve driven in LA and it wasn’t a problem. In fact, it helped. I’d be stuck in the “wrong” lane because a car was stopped waiting to make a turn, and that extra space allowed me to easily “escape” - swap lanes and go around them. I smile as I pass the line of cars stuck bumper to bumper waiting for that lead car to make the turn.
 
Last edited:
Also, in a multi-car pileup, all of the middle cars will be partially at fault for following too closely. That bit of space between you and the car in front can prevent an accident from being even worse.
 
Isn't there a way to disable the jarring braking thingy...I mean, I've never rear ended anybody in 47yrs of driving!
There is but the problem is the WIDE A pillar. Many times while slowing for a stop sign a car can be approaching from the left and be completely hidden from view till the last moment. I thought my Chevy Spark was bad but this is much worse. In ~2000 miles driving I have been surprised maybe 5 times with the brake thing activating on 3 of them.
 
A loud thunk sounds like something got hit. Check the underside?

That’s super weird.
Right, I did a light check but didn't see anything. It's entirely possible some sort of road debris got flung up like a bolt or rock.
 
Right, I did a light check but didn't see anything. It's entirely possible some sort of road debris got flung up like a bolt or rock.
I did have this one time before on one of my older cars, but it had one of the little wheel weights loosen and fly off at highway rotational speeds.
 
Back
Top