SS / SSP

kpmrnt

Cars
N/A (yet!)
Hey everyone!

New here, as I’m on the verge of placing an order (Pure RWD). Extensive Model 3 delays led me here…and I couldn’t be more excited.

Pardon my ignorance here with this question..

So, sound quality is a priority for me.

SS v SSP

I assume cars that come with SS do not have the extra speakers installed, and I wouldn’t be able to pay to activate these down the road, correct?

I see there’s been a ton of discussion on updates late last year to SS, some people seem happy with the progress so far. I don’t mind the extra $ for SSP but it’s mainly a question of availability in my area, as I want to take full advantage of current offers.

Hey everyone!

New here, as I’m on the verge of placing an order (Pure RWD). Extensive Model 3 delays led me here…and I couldn’t be more excited.

Pardon my ignorance here with this question..

So, sound quality is a priority for me.

SS v SSP

I assume cars that come with SS do not have the extra speakers installed, and I wouldn’t be able to pay to activate these down the road, correct?

I see there’s been a ton of discussion on updates late last year to SS, some people seem happy with the progress so far. I don’t mind the extra $ for SSP but it’s mainly a question of availability in my area, as I want to take full advantage of current offers.

I suggestion is you listen to both of them using music you enjoy and whatever service you intend to use and choose based on your experience.

Personally, I really enjoy Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks through SSP. It's not a blow you away bass thumping system but the sound quality is top notch. I rarely listen to non Atmos tracks because I like them so much. Like Bobby mentioned, if it's important to you I would definitely go do a comparison but try to have them play some Atmos tracks for you.

Thanks!

Going this weekend for a test drive.
I do think SSP will be worth it.

Only concern is being able to take advantage of current offers as none are available in my area right now. :(

Thanks!

Going this weekend for a test drive.
I do think SSP will be worth it.

Only concern is being able to take advantage of current offers as none are available in my area right now. :(
I don't see where you are. If your test drive is in a studio with enough cars, you might be able to test drive them back to back to see. For example, there are five test drive vehicles at the Scottsdale, Arizona studio (I don't know if there are both types of sound systems in the various cars).

If you like music, especially if you enjoy high- resolution sources like Tidal then yes SSP absolutely no question.

I have a friend with an Air who did not get SSP, and he does not care.. Just listens to sports, news and pod casts, and says he cannot appreciate the difference. Meanwhile, I am a musician hobbyist, highly immersed in music, and have SSP in my Lucid... To be frank, I was underwhelmed at first, but once I got Tidal MAX 24bit sound the system revealed its goodness. The sound is nicely distributed and highly detailed. Some wonder about bass response, but I actually think the bass is very good and realistic when you have good source material. I crank the system at high volume and it never distorts.. It is an expensive option, but worth it to those who love music...

In recent firmware updates the sound has gotten noticeably better with my SSP. The bass response in particular seems pretty clearly improved. I was underwhelmed as well when I took delivery - now quite happy. It could still use a proper subwoofer, but the car was never advertised as having one, and even without it I think it's a solid system.

I still think Atmos in the Lucid - not in the home - is a bit of a gimmick but to my ears it sounds substantially improved from even just a few months ago. The exact same Atmos-encoded music files on the same USB stick sound better than before.

Back