Spare tire

tonykerf1

Active Member

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
114
Reaction score
50
Cars
2022 lucid air grand tour
Hi- what do u guys do about a spare? I have the 22/23 with summer Pirelli stock tires. I’m probably going to get a set of the 20/21 for the winter- do u think it is a good idea to keep the 21 inch winter rim as a spare??or would u just buy a spare tire and rim??
I don’t think I like the idea of hoping I can fix it with the air pump and liquid can, or waiting for a service to help out. I really don’t get why cars don’t come with a spare - I don’t like this new norm- I mean especially now the rims and bigger and bigger and sidewalls are thinner and thinner
 
I bought a slim spare from EZ Spare. I also have the compressor/goo kit. We sometimes drive to remote areas without cell service, and it's reassuring to have least some way to get moving again.

1774833143563.webp
 
I bought a slim spare from EZ Spare. I also have the compressor/goo kit. We sometimes drive to remote areas without cell service, and it's reassuring to have least some way to get moving again.

View attachment 37863
I think that's the company that claimed it would fit in the frunk. I don't see how that could be. Does it?
 
I think that's the company that claimed it would fit in the frunk. I don't see how that could be. Does it?
It does; in the subfrunk, no less. You still get the upper frunk as storage!
 
since the Gravity has two sized tires, you'd have to get two different spares?
 
It does; in the subfrunk, no less. You still get the upper frunk as storage!
Borski
Do you ever carry a spare for the AIr on remote trips?
What size?
If you have 19's can you use a 20 spare?
 
since the Gravity has two sized tires, you'd have to get two different spares?
The spare is an approximation of the correct diameter, which is part of the reason it is only rated for 50 miles. It's supposed to work on either front or back.
 
Is it stored deflated? If not, I'm very surprised it fits.
EZ Spare's Air spare does fit in the sub-frunk fully inflated, barely but repeatably, and the frunk's platform lid fits over the top.
I always carried it with a jack kit and a couple of pieces of 2x6 when we traveled out of cell range on iffy roads.
 
Fwiw, I put the fully inflated EZSpare (plus jack, air compressor and a few more odds and ends) in my Air touring frunk when I got the car and the sub frunk cover still fits easily. Even with all that in the sub frunk lower area, I can still put a full (walking, not cart style) golf bag, shoes etc in and still close the frunk. Driver does have to be removed from the bag and placed by itself to fit, but that really frees up trunk space for all the other luggage. Takes a little jiggling to seat it all, but a It's pretty amazing use of the space.
 
since the Gravity has two sized tires, you'd have to get two different spares?
No; the overall diameter remains roughly the same, and this is not a permanent spare. It’s enough to get you to a shop, below a certain mph.
 
Borski
Do you ever carry a spare for the AIr on remote trips?
What size?
If you have 19's can you use a 20 spare?
The diameter doesn’t change (much or at all). More tire means less wheel, and more wheel means less tire. So yes, you can use it no matter which wheels you have, provided it fits properly. I’d stick with EZSpare, Modern Spare, etc., one of the ones that specialize in compact spares.

I sold mine because in four years I’ve never had an issue with my 21” tires, and I have the tire goo kit, and I have like five different tow services I could call 🤷‍♂️
 
Do you guys know which jack works with the Gravity?

I'm looking at https://www.ezsparewheel.com/collections/tire-changing-kit and they have different types, for BMW, Tesla, etc.
I bought this, as it came up as an accessory when I bought the spare wheel for my Gravity. The jack has a removable rubber puck on top. You could always give them a call to verify:
 
The Air version may fit in the Air sub-frunk but I need to see a picture of the Gravity version fitting in the Gravity frunk.
 
Memo about those Fix-A-Flat or liquid-goo tire kits: Tire shops cannot repair once that stuff has gone in. So you'll effectively destroy an otherwise repairable tire (provided the puncture is not large or sidewall...)

I found this out the hard way on my Polestar 2 BST. And also, the tire opposite had enough wear that I had to replace both rears, for symmetry. On that car they were special Pirelli P-Zeros so the lesson was $1400 vs a couple hundred max for a flat repair / remount / balance.
 
Memo about those Fix-A-Flat or liquid-goo tire kits: Tire shops cannot repair once that stuff has gone in. So you'll effectively destroy an otherwise repairable tire (provided the puncture is not large or sidewall...)
You’re right, but… you’ll hear plenty of arguments both directions, but EV tires with sound-insulating foam are generally not repairable. Some shops are happy to cut out a piece of foam, plug it, and do it, but the manufacturers do not recommend it. As I have the discount tire/americas tire certs on my car, I would just drive it to the nearest one, get my new tire, and pay $100 to certify that new tire.

I found this out the hard way on my Polestar 2 BST. And also, the tire opposite had enough wear that I had to replace both rears, for symmetry. On that car they were special Pirelli P-Zeros so the lesson was $1400 vs a couple hundred max for a flat repair / remount / balance.
I highly recommend getting the DT/AT certs. You do not have to have bought the tires from them. I’ve never used it, but I’m glad I have it.
 
If you buy one of these spares, I suggest that you buy a jack ratchet that is more robust than the plastic & metal ones that typically come in the associated kits. The jack handled the vehicle's weight, just fine but despite being properly used, the flimsy jack ratchet could not handle the weight, and it stripped while being cranked.
 
Back
Top