[Soon to be] New Owner from Western PA

SonofaBish

Cars
Air GT
Hey all... I'd been considering picking up an Air GT, Taycan Turbo or Plaid later this year to start doing my regular 300 mile work trips... I caught wind of the crazy 18 month lease deals, so I pulled the trigger... taking delivery next Friday 3/15... fully loaded AirGT grey/Tahoe combo...

Kinda hoping to get a nice surprise and have free EA charging like I'm seeing some recent posts about, but I didn't make a decision around that, so not a huge deal if I don't...

Really looking forward to the car. I'm a big car enthusiast, having had a lot of very fast sports cars, and this will be my first foray into the electric world- which was all the more reason to do a very short lease and dip my toe in the water.

Congrats! Yeah I was also wading into the EV world for the first time and the 18 month deals made the barrier low enough to make me jump in. I went with a similar option, Silver/Tahoe (the Tahoe interior is beautiful, really gives a MidMod feel). I think you will really enjoy it.

What part of Western PA are you in? I grew up in Hermitage and went to CMU.

Congrats! Yeah I was also wading into the EV world for the first time and the 18 month deals made the barrier low enough to make me jump in. I went with a similar option, Silver/Tahoe (the Tahoe interior is beautiful, really gives a MidMod feel). I think you will really enjoy it.

What part of Western PA are you in? I grew up in Hermitage and went to CMU.
Wow, small world... I live in Neshannock Twp, just 15 mins south of where you grew up!

In prepping for this car, I've been looking at local charging while I wait for my charger from lucid to come, and wait for install. I have the plugshare app, which seems great. But in the area there are EVgo, evconnect, electrify America, and other.... I read of some interoperability between evgo, evconnect, chargepoint, etc... but I'm still a little confused on which app I want to download to be able to just use a single app... is that possible? Or do i just have to download them all?
I think I read that EA has plug-and-charge, but I'm guessing the others don't?

In prepping for this car, I've been looking at local charging while I wait for my charger from lucid to come, and wait for install. I have the plugshare app, which seems great. But in the area there are EVgo, evconnect, electrify America, and other.... I read of some interoperability between evgo, evconnect, chargepoint, etc... but I'm still a little confused on which app I want to download to be able to just use a single app... is that possible? Or do i just have to download them all?
I think I read that EA has plug-and-charge, but I'm guessing the others don't?
First off, congrats! Unfortunately, you'll have to download and set up the app for each CPO. Electrify America is the only network currently that'll offer plug-and-charge with a Lucid, but that doesn't mean using the other networks is difficult. Usually it just involves plugging in, selecting the charger using the app, and then starting the session. I think in some cases you can start a session through PlugShare, but I've never tried it personally.

I've read that EVGo also offers plug and charge on Lucid cars, though I haven't tried it.
EVGo.png

I've read that EVGo also offers plug and charge on Lucid cars, though I haven't tried it. View attachment 19116
Looks like there was a thread discussing this already. Sounds like you can add your car using the VIN, but I think it still won't automatically start charging.

Last edited:
I've read that EVGo also offers plug and charge on Lucid cars, though I haven't tried it. View attachment 19116
EVgo Autocharge is not ISO15118 Plug and Charge, it simply passes a MAC address from your car that can be linked to you EVgo account. Plug is charge has greater security but stealing electrons from a DC fast charger is not valuable enough to make it a worthwhile target. EVgo Autocharge is easy to sign up for so I see no reason not to sign up. I signed up but have not used it yet.

With respect to true ISO15118 Plug and Charge, our Lucid Airs are limited to one Plug and Charge charging plan. I hope Lucid upgrades this before we have 1000V V4 Tesla chargers or EVConnect or EVgo add Plug and Charge to their networks.

EVgo Autocharge is not ISO15118 Plug and Charge, it simply passes a MAC address from your car that can be linked to you EVgo account. Plug is charge has greater security but stealing electrons from a DC fast charger is not valuable enough to make it a worthwhile target. EVgo Autocharge is easy to sign up for so I see no reason not to sign up. I signed up but have not used it yet.

With respect to true ISO15118 Plug and Charge, our Lucid Airs are limited to one Plug and Charge charging plan. I hope Lucid upgrades this before we have 1000V V4 Tesla chargers or EVConnect or EVgo add Plug and Charge to their networks.
I have had EVGo Autocharge. Worked fine.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that’s true under the hood, or at least it doesn’t seem to be; the API makes this an array, which means they expect to have multiple eventually, so I’m hopeful.

JSON:
"chargingAccounts": [
    {
        "emaid": "[removed]",
        "vehicleId": "[removed]",
        "status": "ENROLLED",
        "createdAtEpochSec": "1642604645",
        "expiryOnEpochSec": "1737299045",
        "vendorName": "ELECTRIFY_AMERICA"
      }
],

Wow ... you guys are just minutes from the Total Eclipse of the Sun on Monday, 8 April, 2024.

Not sure yet which town we will visit on the Southern shores of lake Erie or Ontario... depends on cloud cover, which is expected to be 100% at that time of year. However, I will post here where I am going once the forecast is known. Let's have a Lucid Total Eclipse rally !

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that’s true under the hood, or at least it doesn’t seem to be; the API makes this an array, which means they expect to have multiple eventually, so I’m hopeful.

JSON:
"chargingAccounts": [
    {
        "emaid": "[removed]",
        "vehicleId": "[removed]",
        "status": "ENROLLED",
        "createdAtEpochSec": "1642604645",
        "expiryOnEpochSec": "1737299045",
        "vendorName": "ELECTRIFY_AMERICA"
      }
],
Not that customer care is always correct but customer care told me that they checked with the software and charging teams and were told that only one charging plan can be setup. I agree when Iooked at the API, it seemed that adding another would be straight forward.

Not that customer care is always correct but customer care told me that they checked with the software and charging teams and were told that only one charging plan can be setup. I agree when Iooked at the API, it seemed that adding another would be straight forward.
It’s always possible the API was designed for an eventual multiple capability, but the other end currently only allows one. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen software developers actually thinking ahead.

We’re not always dumb.

Wow ... you guys are just minutes from the Total Eclipse of the Sun on Monday, 8 April, 2024.

Not sure yet which town we will visit on the Southern shores of lake Erie or Ontario... depends on cloud cover, which is expected to be 100% at that time of year. However, I will post here where I am going once the forecast is known. Let's have a Lucid Total Eclipse rally !
Let's meet up in Texas and race the eclipse up to VT

Let's meet up in Texas and race the eclipse up to VT
Not so funny, as we discussed flying to Texas just this morning, in case the weather in the NE is bad. We also talked about flying to Chicago and driving to Indiana (to avoid Ohio). The Southern shores of the Great Lakes are almost certain to be overcast = 95% probability at that time of year.
This will be the last total of my lifetime. I'm going no matter what.

Also: people should plan way ahead. I understand many of the nice motels are already booked. Expect horrendous traffic jams. Lots of people have no clue what's going to happen, so expect all major interstates near the totality to have accidents, as people slow down and stop and try to pull over. Then of course, everyone will try to head home at the same time.

Well I live in Buffalo so I'm all set without travel or hotels. If anyone comes this way, hit me up

Well I live in Buffalo so I'm all set without travel or hotels. If anyone comes this way, hit me up
So now you've given me a reason to choose Buffalo over Erie or Rochester or Watertown, etc. Expect me if the weather cooperates.

If it doesn't, maybe we can race to Texas ?

I'm making a map / list of all the chargers along any of the derivable routes.

So now you've given me a reason to choose Buffalo over Erie or Rochester or Watertown, etc. Expect me if the weather cooperates.

If it doesn't, maybe we can race to Texas ?

I'm making a map / list of all the chargers along any of the derivable routes.
Just sent you a DM

Back