- Joined
- Mar 7, 2020
- Messages
- 8,695
- Reaction score
- 14,389
- Location
- Naples, FL
- Cars
- Air DE-P, 2 Gravity DEs
- Air DE Number
- 395
- Gravity DE Number
- 067
238
- Referral Code
- 033M4EXG
With all the Dream Editions sold out, how did you get to order your second DE? Did they still have some in inventory?
Either they weren't sold out, or Lucid decided to make some additional ones.
I specifically wanted the 22/23" wheels, and Lucid is not yet selling additional wheels for Gravities, so when my sales advisor said there were some DEs still available, I asked him to filter his search for those wheels.
He found eight DEs available with the largest wheels. If I remember correctly, there were 5 in Studios and 2 factory-gated (meaning through final inspection) but not yet on transports. And if I understood him correctly, I think a couple of others were still in production queue.
I took one of the factory-gated ones in White/Tahoe. I don't know how many additional ones were available with different wheels.
Do they have reserved drive trains to build you another one with the same DE serial?
The Gravity Dream Edition is less a special case than the Air Dream Edition.
The Air Dream used a slightly larger battery pack (118 vs 112 kWh) with cells from a different supplier (Samsung vs LG) than the mainline Airs. It also had a rear motor with special metallurgy that was unique to the Dream Edition. And when Lucid decided almost at the last minute to split the Dream into Range and Performance versions, they put that unique motor on the front axle as well as the rear axle of the Performance versions. Unless that motor also went into the Sapphire, I suspect it's out of production.
As I understand it, the Gravity Dream powertrain differs from the Grand Touring powertrain only in having the larger rear motor of the Grand Touring mounted on both axles, whereas the Grand Touring uses a smaller front motor. So my guess is that replacing the powertrain in a Gravity DE down the road will be a lot easier than with the Air, as it can basically be done with "off the shelf" parts.