So about that steering wheel...

PolarAir

Does anyone have a firm answer on whether the steering wheel senses contact through a torque sensor (have to apply a turning force to the steering wheel) or through a capacitive touch sensor (just a light touch)?

For reference: BMWs use capacitive wheels; Tesla uses a torque sensor.

I was hoping it was capacitive but I have a feeling it's torque based on a comment @borski made about Highway Assist I believe. Borski can you confirm? I know Audi used capacitive in the e-Tron and preferred it way better than torque as you barely had to touch the wheel but you lost the heated steering wheel as a result to get a capacitive touch wheel. Not sure if that was an Audi limitation or a limitation of the tech itself but if it's a tech limitation then Lucid is definitely torque because it has a heated steering wheel.

I was hoping it was capacitive but I have a feeling it's torque based on a comment @borski made about Highway Assist I believe. Borski can you confirm? I know Audi used capacitive in the e-Tron and preferred it way better than torque as you barely had to touch the wheel but you lost the heated steering wheel as a result to get a capacitive touch wheel. Not sure if that was an Audi limitation or a limitation of the tech itself but if it's a tech limitation then Lucid is definitely torque because it has a heated steering wheel.
My BMW has a heated wheel and a capacitive sensor, so can confirm they're not mutually exclusive.

I don't know if it's technically torque or capacitative. A light squeeze of the wheel is fine, from top, side, front, bottom, back, whatever. You don't need to turn it, just hold it. But if your hand rests too lightly, it'll let you know, then you just move your hand or squeeze it a bit. Ample warning, not at all annoying.

Does anyone have a firm answer on whether the steering wheel senses contact through a torque sensor (have to apply a turning force to the steering wheel) or through a capacitive touch sensor (just a light touch)?

For reference: BMWs use capacitive wheels; Tesla uses a torque sensor.

It is torque based.

I have 100% not needed to actually move/turn the steering wheel to remind the car I'm still paying attention.

Gripping the wheel (perhaps a bit firmer than I'd like) is enough.

You get tons of warnings long before it disengages Highway Assist or even before it starts to slow down.

I have 100% not needed to actually move/turn the steering wheel to remind the car I'm still paying attention.

Gripping the wheel (perhaps a bit firmer than I'd like) is enough.

You get tons of warnings long before it disengages Highway Assist or even before it starts to slow down.

There is no grip sensor in the steering wheel. I have taken one apart.

Perhaps when you grip it you're applying just a little bit of torque (or resistance against what the Dream Drive system is trying to do) …

There is no grip sensor in the steering wheel. I have taken one apart.

Perhaps when you grip it you're applying just a little bit of torque (or resistance against what the Dream Drive system is trying to do) …
That is interesting. Because I guarantee you I am not steering.

Because when highway assist is on and handling highway steering is ongoing, when it says to put your hands back on the wheel, it's steering on its own but when I rest my hand back on the wheel, it cancels the warning.

I don't know what the hardware situation is but there is no other way for the car to know (during highway assist steering) that my hands are or are not on the wheel.

Back