Side Mirror Housing Fatigue Cracking

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
I was having my ceramic coating refreshed on my 2022 Lucid Air GT, when my detailer discovered a fatigue fracture in my passenger side mirror housing. It starts at the mirror side and extends to where the housing slopes down to the pointed leading edge of the housing. I notified Customer Care, and they are sending a mobile tech (Tucson) to verify that an "outside force was not the cause". If it is a manufacturing fault problem, then they will replace it under warranty. 20240424_125051.jpg20240424_125107.jpg

Isn't that just a parting line left over from injection molding?

Isn't that just a parting line left over from injection molding?
No, this is on the topside of the housing. The mold line is at the halfway point.

No, this is on the topside of the housing. The mold line is at the halfway point.
Can you take a further picture? That looks *exactly* like the parting line on mine. I obviously believe you, it’s just impossible to tell what’s going on that close up haha

Can you take a further picture? That looks *exactly* like the parting line on mine. I obviously believe you, it’s just impossible to tell what’s going on that close up haha
On the way to Happy Hour so will do different pictures later. Crack is on the top side of housing. The weld joint is on the side.

My line is on the top of the housing. That’s why I’m curious, that’s all! Enjoy happy hour :)

My line is on the top of the housing. That’s why I’m curious, that’s all! Enjoy happy hour :)
Will be checking with Mobile Tech next week but with magnifying glass, it looks like it could be a seam in the PPF. If that is the case, I will return to have the mirrors redone with the seam on the bottom. It is not present on the driver's side mirror housing so that was reason I thought it was a fatigue crack. BTW, salmon/avocado toast slices and a 2007 Trinitas Cab so Happy Hour was definitely happy!!!!

Hmm, I’ve got the same seams on mine. Either the pix isn’t showing the issue or there is a misdiagnosis. 🤔

Mine are also the same (no PPF). With a magnifying glass, I see that the line is actually a tiny depression, and that the factory paint has partially filled it. It doesn't seem likely to be a crack.

Took a couple more photos in sunlight. Still unsure of what it is but will have Mobile Tech look at it and also check out a very loud creaking noise when I leaned into my fender and placed hand on frunk lid. Both sound like they are loose when you push against them.

Attachments

• Mirror 1.jpg
    Mirror 1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • Mirror 2.jpg
    Mirror 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47
Took a couple more photos in sunlight. Still unsure of what it is but will have Mobile Tech look at it and also check out a very loud creaking noise when I leaned into my fender and placed hand on frunk lid. Both sound like they are loose when you push against them.
So the seam on top is the mold line. The seam on the right is the ppf overlap. I just wrapped my silver pieces on my car and those mirrors are extremely difficult to wrap in one piece. They did yours in two and had an overlap of the ppf at the edge.

So the seam on top is the mold line. The seam on the right is the ppf overlap. I just wrapped my silver pieces on my car and those mirrors are extremely difficult to wrap in one piece. They did yours in two and had an overlap of the ppf at the edge.
Thanks....I still want to have it rewrapped since it is pretty visible now.

Mobile Tech, Ryan, spent almost 3 hours on my Air GT but we did not replace the side mirror housing since it appears to be a separation of two sections of PPF. He had a couple of recall repairs and inspections, so a lot of time was spent doing those. One was a borescope inspection around the heater box to check some cables I believe. He also put in some new rear seat locking clips and did some software verifications. He mentioned his coverage territory included AZ, New Mexico and, I believe, parts of Nevada. He averages 15 or more calls a week. One thing I asked about, my windshield wiper on driver side actually goes over the glass and hits the pillar. I expected it to go the the pillar ridge but not over it. I am going to have it checked when I do the annual which I will setup in Scottsdale soon since my Air was delivered in October 2022. The annual is $350 and includes a wheel alignment. It can be done by the mobile tech but they do not like to do the alignment with their portable equipment. Interestingly, one of the mods they are doing is the "California bear" emblem decal. After wasting two, we decided they would not adhere to my PPF and ceramic coated fender. I told him that I left California when I retired from Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space and did not plan to return soon. Of course, with EVs I do not have to worry about that gas price, and I do love that lifestyle when I lived in both San Diego and Santa Cruz.

Back