Service Updated Software Despite My Directive Not To

Rackdoctor

Member

Joined
Aug 22, 2022
Messages
29
Reaction score
44
Cars
2000 ACURA INTEGRA

​

I want to thank the service rep at Lucid Torrance for ruining my Surreal Sound Pro. I specifically stressed how important it was that they not update my software. It was written on the work order. My car was in for a second windshield install within two years. The stereo sounds like complete shit now. To much overblown bass and treble and the mids are horrible now. I loved the 2.4 original SSP version. The audio in the car is extremely important to me. I spent two years transferring all of my vinyl to wav to listen to in my car.
😡
 

​

I want to thank the service rep at Lucid Torrance for ruining my Surreal Sound Pro. I specifically stressed how important it was that they not update my software. It was written on the work order. My car was in for a second windshield install within two years. The stereo sounds like complete shit now. To much overblown bass and treble and the mids are horrible now. I loved the 2.4 original SSP version. The audio in the car is extremely important to me. I spent two years transferring all of my vinyl to wav to listen to in my car.
😡
I'm assuming you were told they couldn't go back to v2.4?
 

​

I want to thank the service rep at Lucid Torrance for ruining my Surreal Sound Pro. I specifically stressed how important it was that they not update my software. It was written on the work order. My car was in for a second windshield install within two years. The stereo sounds like complete shit now. To much overblown bass and treble and the mids are horrible now. I loved the 2.4 original SSP version. The audio in the car is extremely important to me. I spent two years transferring all of my vinyl to wav to listen to in my car.
😡
This is a major gripe I have as well. After the 2.5 disaster (how could they even let that pass their testing??) it has improved but they’ve added some kind of filter to the sound that makes it sound more spacious. It reminds me of my teenage years when I could pull my headphones out of my Walkman halfway and the sound became ethereal (sorry, having a hard time finding the right word for it). I had asked @marqie about it but they didn’t know of any upcoming updates. It’s been over a year now and it still sounds awful. I actually leased the car just because at that time (2.4 and before) the sound was amazing. I have spoken to a few audiophiles who agree that this has been a sound deterioration.

I have learned to live with the key issue, and other gripes but the audio is a major sticking point for me to lease another Air. I drive almost an hour to work and back each way and would love to enjoy my music which I currently don’t.

If anyone on this forum knows of any remedies, please do share. My lease is up in about few months and I am looking for my next car. If the sound issue was fixed, I’d most likely get another Air.
 

​

I want to thank the service rep at Lucid Torrance for ruining my Surreal Sound Pro. I specifically stressed how important it was that they not update my software. It was written on the work order. My car was in for a second windshield install within two years. The stereo sounds like complete shit now. To much overblown bass and treble and the mids are horrible now. I loved the 2.4 original SSP version. The audio in the car is extremely important to me. I spent two years transferring all of my vinyl to wav to listen to in my car.
😡
Don't you have to update software to maintain warranty?
 
This is a major gripe I have as well. After the 2.5 disaster (how could they even let that pass their testing??) it has improved but they’ve added some kind of filter to the sound that makes it sound more spacious. It reminds me of my teenage years when I could pull my headphones out of my Walkman halfway and the sound became ethereal (sorry, having a hard time finding the right word for it). I had asked @marqie about it but they didn’t know of any upcoming updates. It’s been over a year now and it still sounds awful. I actually leased the car just because at that time (2.4 and before) the sound was amazing. I have spoken to a few audiophiles who agree that this has been a sound deterioration.

I have learned to live with the key issue, and other gripes but the audio is a major sticking point for me to lease another Air. I drive almost an hour to work and back each way and would love to enjoy my music which I currently don’t.

If anyone on this forum knows of any remedies, please do share. My lease is up in about few months and I am looking for my next car. If the sound issue was fixed, I’d most likely get another Air.
I agree with you assessment. They did a blanket update, not giving anyone a choice. Adding way to much bass ruining the EQ. I never upgraded and had the system dialed in perfect for me. Options I am considering are: Installing a paramentric EQ before the power section or
taping into the power amps with portable DAP with it's own DAC.
 
They have not addressed a solution yet. I have my doubts.
I asked for that when I spoke to the service center in ATL and they said that was not possible.
 
I agree with you assessment. They did a blanket update, not giving anyone a choice. Adding way to much bass ruining the EQ. I never upgraded and had the system dialed in perfect for me. Options I am considering are: Installing a paramentric EQ before the power section or
taping into the power amps with portable DAP with it's own DAC.
Here you’ll be adding more components to the sound chain though. Agree?
I also weighed the option of it being my own source and played with different wired connections (external drive, Spotify and my main source of Qobuz) but that did not make a difference. Only time I felt the sound to be good was when I played certain Atmos files from Tidal.
Playing Atmos in the car is a bit of a misplacement as it counts on the listener being in the center of the field which by definition you’re not in a car. There was an AMA for the audio team a year or more ago here on this forum and they were working on making the drivers seat the center. As you know, no changes in the sound have been made. I don’t know if the revamp of the team included new audio engineers. I sure hope so.

Also, when I pay for that upgrade, paying more to undo the poor sound of the upgrade, it defeats the purpose of the upgrade.
 
None of the updates after I stopped were crucial to the vehicle.
It’s not about being crucial, not maintaining updated software can result in bugs in the software. I understand why Lucid updated your software. Imagine if everyone had specific software requests?

Imagine if your car got hacked? Won’t be a good look for the company.
 
It’s not about being crucial, not maintaining updated software can result in bugs in the software. I understand why Lucid updated your software. Imagine if everyone had specific software requests?

Imagine if your car got hacked? Won’t be a good look for the company.
Have not done an update since 10/5/2024. Have had no bugs. People that have all the updates have complained about a lot of bugs.
 
. . . they’ve added some kind of filter to the sound that makes it sound more spacious.

Yes, but at least in our Air, it's a selectable feature than can be turned off by the owner.
 
Don't you have to update software to maintain warranty?
Yes.

At the exercise of Lucid’s sole and exclusive discretion, the Lucid New Vehicle Limited Warranty will be voided, and all warranty coverage hereunder will terminate in the event of:
...
  • Failing to install required software updates within 30 days after notification that an update is available
...
 
Last edited:
Isn't there a super duper reset (that may not be its actual name) that takes the Air back to its original configuration. I recall reading about this on some thread here.
 
Isn't there a super duper reset (that may not be its actual name) that takes the Air back to its original configuration. I recall reading about this on some thread here.
Not for a long time. The Factory Reset wipes all user profile data from the vehicle, including the removal of any secondary user profiles that were created. You also have the option of clearing all cloud data, as well as vehicle data by selecting the toggle switch.

But it doesn't revert to the original version of software.
 
Yes, but at least in our Air, it's a selectable feature than can be turned off by the owner.
That would be fantastic. Do you mind sharing where that is located in the settings, please? Perhaps I have not paid enough due diligence to remedy my own problem.
Thank you.
 
Back
Top