SA Contacted me

This is... really interesting. I need more information as my wife is currently considering the Taycan. Can I ask about the negatives in your experience?
Firstly the car handles amazing but it’s obviously heavy. It’s pretty much a fully loaded Turbo so has the Premium and Technology packages — so LKA, adaptive suspension, rear wheel steering, PCCBs etc. (surprisingly I found their LKA to be much smoother than my Tesla Autopilot in stop go traffic).

The car is a great first attempt by a legacy manufacturer and I think their 2025 718 replacement will be something special all being well.

With this said it’s evident that they are nowhere near vertically integrated in their tech stack. The PCM (infotainment system) is a shared monstrosity in the VW group and makes me want to claw my eyes out. It’s slow, clunky and feels like it’s from yesteryear. Their OTAs have been in the form of day long visits to the dealership and stuff just doesn’t work — Apple Music will just disappear randomly and the system will forget all of my favourite radio stations sporadically.

They are working on these problems and arguably the My Porsche app is improving steadily. The previous app Porsche Connect was again a shared monstrosity from the VW group and it would barely even sync with the car nor do simple things like preheat/precool it.

Then come the hardware failures. I’ve had the comms module fail (common apparently) which meant the car dropped offline and music, navigation, CarPlay, bluetooth and voice commands stopped. It’s seriously annoying driving a car with no inbuilt nav. Fix was as multi day visit to the dealer as they needed to dismantle my entire dashboard to replace the part even though this seems like a common failure.

Then the car kept erroring about the SOS Module failing. Now the latest is that backup camera (which was like looking at a postage stamp to reverse anyway) has randomly started crapping out. Some mornings 1 camera will work out of the 4 and sometimes none. It seems to have settled in to just the backup camera being off, so I can see the front and sides of the car but not what is behind me. There’s a rear camera replacement on order but apparently there was a bad batch of wiring and if this doesn’t fix it they have to take my entire car apart to replace all of the wiring to all of the cameras.

Again, the car is fun to drive and handles well. But it’s a major pain in the ass to live with! That plus what I was saying earlier about subpar range (in the 350kms ish) and straight line performance in 2022.

Last edited:
Back