Route Planning/Charging Advice

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
I have only put about 90 miles on my Touring, and I am still learning the various functions. I have friends with Teslas who tell me that when they plan a trip, the car knows when it will need a charge and suggests a charging station along the route. Does the Lucid do this? If so, is it in the navigation app somewhere? Thanks.

I have only put about 90 miles on my Touring, and I am still learning the various functions. I have friends with Teslas who tell me that when they plan a trip, the car knows when it will need a charge and suggests a charging station along the route. Does the Lucid do this? If so, is it in the navigation app somewhere? Thanks.
The Lucid does do this. If you plan a route longer than your range, it will suggest charging stops along the way.

The Lucid does do this. If you plan a route longer than your range, it will suggest charging stops along the way.
Using the navigator? There is not a special feature/app/function within the navigator or elsewhere I must turn on or toggle?

Thanks!

For road trip planning, and if you don’t want to have to sit in your car in the garage to plan it out, I recommend going to abetterrouteplanner.com, and downloading their app. Basic functions are free, and you can upgrade to a monthly service. However the free part of the app will tell you all you need to know about charging stops. It’s not 100% accurate, but it gets you remarkably close.

You can also use Google Maps on your phone and send the destination to your Lucid...
After selecting a destination, go to the [Share] button, then select "Lucid". When you get into your car the Destination will be preloaded into your Navigation screen

You can also use Google Maps on your phone and send the destination to your Lucid...
After selecting a destination, go to the [Share] button, then select "Lucid". When you get into your car the Destination will be preloaded into your Navigation screen
Ok. Just tried that. Super easy. I guess I just switched to GM from Waze for my daily drive.

Ok. Just tried that. Super easy. I guess I just switched to GM from Waze for my daily drive.
Should be able to do it from Waze too; anything that gives you a share sheet for a location should work.

Using the navigator? There is not a special feature/app/function within the navigator or elsewhere I must turn on or toggle?
I don’t think there’s a toggle but if there is it is on by default; just try to plan a route to Alaska or something and it should suggest charging stops, for example.

From the manual:

Routing​

All Lucid routes are EV routes. Lucid EV routes are integrated with your vehicle range and consumption profile. It considers not just the current state of charge, road profile, temperature, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) and traffic conditions, but it also predicts your unique vehicle consumption over time under those conditions.

Once a location is specified, the map will display an overview of the proposed route on both the center glass cockpit panel and the pilot panel. Up to three route options will be shown, each with its own written summary and visual display on the map. The recommended top option is the fastest route (the least driving time), and it will be shown on the map in blue. Other alternative suggestions are shown on the map in gray. Traffic conditions on each route will be included. If charge stops are required, they will be auto-added to all three routes and will be displayed on all three routes.
Before you tap GO, you can preview and plan your route on the MY ROUTE screen, which will show up to three route options including the estimated time of arrival (ETA), total distance, and traffic conditions along the route. If the route requires charging stops to reach the destination, charging stops will automatically be added and shown on this screen as well.

NOTE: Because the Auto‑add Charging feature is enabled by default, the system automatically calculates the battery power needed for the trip and the recommended charging time for each charging stop.

…snip…

Predicting Energy Usage​

The Auto‑add Charging feature is always on and will help anticipate the vehicle’s charging needs for a trip. This feature automatically adds DC charging stations to a calculated route as needed.

NOTE: If no DC charging stations are available, you must manually search and add a charging stop to your route. The ETA will not reflect the added charging time, so please plan accordingly.

OK, so I’ve been playing with this a little bit. A better route planner is awesome, except it doesn’t have my model of Lucid, the touring. I think I can still use it if I set the battery setting to 75%. At least until a better route planner adds my model.

Next question. When I look at the navigator on my Lucid app, I hit the charging station icon, and it seems to only show electrify America locations. Am I correct? Does anybody know if the Lucid app or navigator in the car can be set to view all surrounding charging stations? Or is this just because I’m playing with it at my house?

OK, so I’ve been playing with this a little bit. A better route planner is awesome, except it doesn’t have my model of Lucid, the touring. I think I can still use it if I set the battery setting to 75%. At least until a better route planner adds my model.

Next question. When I look at the navigator on my Lucid app, I hit the charging station icon, and it seems to only show electrify America locations. Am I correct? Does anybody know if the Lucid app or navigator in the car can be set to view all surrounding charging stations? Or is this just because I’m playing with it at my house?
I’ve officially requested they add the Touring and Pure on their feature request page. Feel free to dupe it. Hopefully it will be added soon.

It does do it albeit not very good. It definitely needs some fine tuning as it will often have you stop to charge when the SoC is still high even though there are other chargers further along the way. Meaning you’re not going to get the charging speeds in the 200Kw+ range. I often overrule it now as I try to pull into a charger with only 10% to 20% SoC

There is a toggle switch for EA only. If you have a route already programmed, press the search magnifying glass on the Pilot Panel and you will see the toggle switch for EA only. If you don't have a route entered, you can hit the Charging icon and see the toggle switch there.

There is a toggle switch for EA only. If you have a route already programmed, press the search magnifying glass on the Pilot Panel and you will see the toggle switch for EA only. If you don't have a route entered, you can hit the Charging icon and see the toggle switch there.
Thanks! Exactly the info I needed.

I’m starting to plan my first longer road trip (only have 1,00 miles on the Lucid) and entered a route from San Diego to Sedona AZ. The car shows the first EA charging stop at Yuma which is 173 miles away - my Touring is currently at 80% SOC (306 “rated miles”) - and I get an “insufficient range” warning on the left side of the dash cockpit under the trip meter. At the same time, the Yuma waypoint shows arrival with 24% SOC. Does the nav system always assume that you start with a 100% SOC? In that case, the 24% would seem to be about right but the” insufficient range” warning would be wrong. Seems like conflicting info.

A second question is - how do you get the waypoints to show you how many chargers are at a particular site and how many are available? Thanks for your help.

The insufficient range is for your destination not to the charger. It’s a stupid way to calculate it and hopefully Lucid changes it soon.

The insufficient range is for your destination not to the charger. It’s a stupid way to calculate it and hopefully Lucid changes it soon.
Thanks - that never even crossed my mind as a reason - that really is kinda dumb! Is there a way to see how many chargers/availability at the waypoints?

Thanks - that never even crossed my mind as a reason - that really is kinda dumb! Is there a way to see how many chargers/availability at the waypoints?
You can’t see the availability on the charger it’s chosen by tapping on it. You can search for the chargers while en route, tap on them and see how many are available but be careful as the numbers don’t add up. The older EA stations report plugs available and not charger numbers

Eg: a 4 charger location has 8 plugs. 2 on each charger but the second cable is for redundancy only. Lucid therefore calculates 7 CCS and 1 chademo.

The Lucid will then list the status of 7/7 available even though the location only has 4 chargers. Again, it’s stupid. I raised this issue with them the moment they implemented the change 6 or so months ago and still haven’t fixed it.

The Lucid app reports charger availability correctly though.

You can’t see the availability on the charger it’s chosen by tapping on it. You can search for the chargers while en route, tap on them and see how many are available but be careful as the numbers don’t add up. The older EA stations report plugs available and not charger numbers

Eg: a 4 charger location has 8 plugs. 2 on each charger but the second cable is for redundancy only. Lucid therefore calculates 7 CCS and 1 chademo.

The Lucid will then list the status of 7/7 available even though the location only has 4 chargers. Again, it’s stupid. I raised this issue with them the moment they implemented the change 6 or so months ago and still haven’t fixed it.

The Lucid app reports charger availability correctly though.
Thanks again - great info even if it isn’t yet where it should be….

I drove from Pella IA to Minnetonka MN yesterday, and I got very frustrated with the car's ability to show me available chargers. Before I set out, I tried looking at chargers en route. I turned off the EA only toggle, and it showed NONE! I happen to know there are several, very close to the freeway, Chargepoint has a very extensive network of DC fast chargers along I35, not to mention the EA chargers at Albert Lee. Anyway, I decided to take the car's recommendation of stopping at an EA at Albert Lee (which it picked from an apparently non-existent list!). It predicted a charge of 10% on arrival, and since it was cold and windy, I figured it was a long shot, I know a reliable DC Charge Point location in Ames that I could stop at if things looked dicey along the way. When I reached Ames, I was ahead of my projected charge, so I decided to risk it. I figured that if I could stay above 3mi/kW I would be OK. At around 80 miles out, things looked bad. The wind had picked up and the temp had dropped, so I began lowering my speed to hit my target. Best I could do is 2.7 at 50mph. I decided to start looking for options. The car itself figured the same thing, but made terrible recommendations for charging. It chose a charger 25 miles from the freeway, and with that massive 50-mile diversion, it was only 5 miles closer than the one in Albert Lee! I figured I could still make Albert Lee, but decided to look at other options. I found a Charge Point DC charger available next to the freeway, 20 miles south of the AL charger! And not only that, but the car knew it was there too (I finally coached the map to show it to me by searching for "chargepoint"). When I came in close proximity to the CP charger, I figured I could make it to Albert Lee with about 4% remaining. Miraculously the car agreed with me, but before we arrived at that conclusion together, the car, at one point, decided I could not possibly get anywhere, and just gave up. Plotted a big red bar on the map where I would be dead at the side of the road. It took the EA option away from me, and wouldn't let me even look at it, without manually plugging in its address. Oh, by the way, this happened south of that chargepoint charger I mentioned before! As I said, the car knew it was there, but would rather me die with no power than take me to it. Anyway, I did indeed make it to Albert Lee with 4%, and the EA charger worked flawlessly. The car has a lot of information that it doesn't present. I am constantly dividing the miles to go by the miles/kW number in the trip meters to figure my SoC at my destination. I usually get it spot on, but for goodness sake, why do I have to tax my brain with this arithmetic? The dash gives a fictitious miles available at the destination, which is useless because the car can never achieve the EPA numbers, and the map stays frozen on it's initial guess, unless I replot the route. The initial estimate is better than it was, but still far from perfect, and conditions do change along the way, especially in a midwest winter. A few degrees change, or a flip in wind direction can make a huge difference.

I drove from Pella IA to Minnetonka MN yesterday, and I got very frustrated with the car's ability to show me available chargers. Before I set out, I tried looking at chargers en route. I turned off the EA only toggle, and it showed NONE! I happen to know there are several, very close to the freeway, Chargepoint has a very extensive network of DC fast chargers along I35, not to mention the EA chargers at Albert Lee. Anyway, I decided to take the car's recommendation of stopping at an EA at Albert Lee (which it picked from an apparently non-existent list!). It predicted a charge of 10% on arrival, and since it was cold and windy, I figured it was a long shot, I know a reliable DC Charge Point location in Ames that I could stop at if things looked dicey along the way. When I reached Ames, I was ahead of my projected charge, so I decided to risk it. I figured that if I could stay above 3mi/kW I would be OK. At around 80 miles out, things looked bad. The wind had picked up and the temp had dropped, so I began lowering my speed to hit my target. Best I could do is 2.7 at 50mph. I decided to start looking for options. The car itself figured the same thing, but made terrible recommendations for charging. It chose a charger 25 miles from the freeway, and with that massive 50-mile diversion, it was only 5 miles closer than the one in Albert Lee! I figured I could still make Albert Lee, but decided to look at other options. I found a Charge Point DC charger available next to the freeway, 20 miles south of the AL charger! And not only that, but the car knew it was there too (I finally coached the map to show it to me by searching for "chargepoint"). When I came in close proximity to the CP charger, I figured I could make it to Albert Lee with about 4% remaining. Miraculously the car agreed with me, but before we arrived at that conclusion together, the car, at one point, decided I could not possibly get anywhere, and just gave up. Plotted a big red bar on the map where I would be dead at the side of the road. It took the EA option away from me, and wouldn't let me even look at it, without manually plugging in its address. Oh, by the way, this happened south of that chargepoint charger I mentioned before! As I said, the car knew it was there, but would rather me die with no power than take me to it. Anyway, I did indeed make it to Albert Lee with 4%, and the EA charger worked flawlessly. The car has a lot of information that it doesn't present. I am constantly dividing the miles to go by the miles/kW number in the trip meters to figure my SoC at my destination. I usually get it spot on, but for goodness sake, why do I have to tax my brain with this arithmetic? The dash gives a fictitious miles available at the destination, which is useless because the car can never achieve the EPA numbers, and the map stays frozen on it's initial guess, unless I replot the route. The initial estimate is better than it was, but still far from perfect, and conditions do change along the way, especially in a midwest winter. A few degrees change, or a flip in wind direction can make a huge difference.
Glad you made it to a charger. Good story-it read a little like an adventure!

Back