RFID for HOA gate entry

bhramabull

Verified Owner
Hey folks,

Our HOA went with myQ for our gated-entry system and provided us RFID stickers to be placed somewhere along the headlight . Well, for every car that wasn't a Lucid, it worked like a charm. They were able to place it anywhere on the exterior of their cars. For me, as soon as the sticker came really close to being stuck on the car (within a few centimeters, if not millimeters), it lost communication with the RFID reader base standing next to our gated entrance (light on that based would turn 'red'). As I moved the sticker slightly away form the car, it would work light on that base would (turn 'green'). What was even more confusing was taking the sticker with me inside the car, sitting on the driver's seat and flashing it from there and it would be read perfectly (base showing 'green'). Thoughts as to why this would be?

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Our HOA went with myQ for our gated-entry system and provided us RFID stickers to be placed somewhere along the headlight/s for our . Well, for every car that wasn't a Lucid, it worked like a charm. For me, as soon as the sticker came really close to being stuck on the car, it lost communication with the RFID reader (next to the gate). In fact, the reader kept a constant 'green' when the sticker was flashed towards it, but turned 'red' when the sticker was a couple of centimeters away from the car. What was even more confusing was taking the sticker with me inside the car and flashing it from the driver's seat and it was working (showing 'green'). Thoughts as to why this would be?
Lidar?

Hey folks,

Our HOA went with myQ for our gated-entry system and provided us RFID stickers to be placed somewhere along the headlight . Well, for every car that wasn't a Lucid, it worked like a charm. They were able to place it anywhere on the exterior of their cars. For me, as soon as the sticker came really close to being stuck on the car (within a few centimeters, if not millimeters), it lost communication with the RFID reader base standing next to our gated entrance (light on that based would turn 'red'). As I moved the sticker slightly away form the car, it would work light on that base would (turn 'green'). What was even more confusing was taking the sticker with me inside the car, sitting on the driver's seat and flashing it from there and it would be read perfectly (base showing 'green'). Thoughts as to why this would be?
We use an RFID tag in our community as well. I have it the lower right hand corner of the windshield. Works perfectly. They wanted to put it on my headlight and I knew it would not work there.

We use an RFID tag in our community as well. I have it the lower right hand corner of the windshield. Works perfectly. They wanted to put it on my headlight and I knew it would not work there.
Okay then I shall definitely give that a try. Any reasons for not even trying to place it on the headlight as they'd asked? Also did you place the tag on the inside or outside of the windshield?

Same. Only we all put it on the lower right side of the windshield. Works perfectly. Never heard of putting it on a headlight.

I bought a little plastic holder on Amazon so I could suction cup it to the glass instead of sticking it permanently. Now I don’t need to worry about scraping it off if I ever have to replace it.

Okay then I shall definitely give that a try. Any reasons for not even trying to place it on the headlight as they'd asked? Also did you place the tag on the inside or outside of the windshield?
I put mine on the inside.

I put mine on the inside of the windshield. Worked great until a rock chip caused a crack and the windshield was replaced. The tags cannot be removed. Now the HOA wants $75 to replace a $1 sticker. 😠

I placed mine as high as possible in the dead center of windshield, below the rear view. Not visible from inside, small strip on outside. Works fine.

I put mine on the inside of the windshield. Worked great until a rock chip caused a crack and the windshield was replaced. The tags cannot be removed. Now the HOA wants $75 to replace a $1 sticker. 😠
Another good reason for the plastic suction cup method I mentioned above. Also good for when you have to take your car to the shop and you are in a rental.

I too put it on the inside. Didn’t even try the headlight as too many people I know have trouble with it There.

Same. Only we all put it on the lower right side of the windshield. Works perfectly. Never heard of putting it on a headlight.

I bought a little plastic holder on Amazon so I could suction cup it to the glass instead of sticking it permanently. Now I don’t need to worry about scraping it off if I ever have to replace it.
Link to plastic holder?

Reactions: Plg
My RFID tag for the Lucid (and other cars now) is stuck under the driver’s mirror. It’s roughly in line with the sensor. In the past the gate attendant would would it on the driver’s headlight. That didn’t look too good. Don’t get to use the tag much, since the gate attendant opens the gate before I even approach the sensor.

Reactions: Plg
Hey folks,

I have mine in the lower right hand corner. It works but only much closer to the sensor. My previous car (which also had IR tint) would get picked up 40 ft away. The AGT needs to be 15-20 feet to get picked up.

Interestingly, the EZ Pass transponder which is in the same location is erratic. I do not trust that it works in EZ pass lanes. I pull into the cash lane and go slowly and the light turns green., But in other situations like parking garages where it should work, it does not work at all.

Hey folks,

I put mine on the sun visor and fold it forward when I needed
Hey folks,

Hey folks,

Our HOA went with myQ for our gated-entry system and provided us RFID stickers to be placed somewhere along the headlight . Well, for every car that wasn't a Lucid, it worked like a charm. They were able to place it anywhere on the exterior of their cars. For me, as soon as the sticker came really close to being stuck on the car (within a few centimeters, if not millimeters), it lost communication with th

RFID reader base standing next to our gated entrance (light on that based would turn 'red'). As I moved the sticker slightly away form the car, it would work light on that base would (turn 'green'). What was even more confusing was taking the sticker with me inside the car, sitting on the driver's seat and flashing it from there and it would be read perfectly (base showing 'green'). Thoughts as to why this would be?

Back