Review: Heat Shield Store custom sun shades for Lucid Air

becauseracecar

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, E9X M3 Convertible
Referral Code
53GRHWDI
Was looking for sunshades for my Air Grand Touring to keep it cool while it's parked, and some quick googling turned these up:
https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-lucid-lucid-air-sedan

Overall impression is pretty positive. Shades seem to be cut to the right shape, and are easy to stick/unstick with the suction cups. You can get these in gold or silver, I ended up getting gold.
Biggest downside of something like this is there are a lot of pieces to put up and take down if you want to cover all the glass in the car while it's parked.

Here is the rear roof shade. A single sunshade covers the whole glass. Little awkward to put up take/down since you are holding this above your head but manageable.
IMG_1871.jpg

The front roof shade has two pieces, one for each side. Here is the driver's side piece installed.
IMG_1872.jpg

Front roof shade on other side, with both installed:
IMG_1873.jpg

I suppose this might give you a rough idea of what the interior would look like with the aluminum roof, definitely a less open feel.

The front windshield shade
IMG_1876.jpg

The front side shade
IMG_1874.jpg

Finally here is what everything looks like rolled up and stored away. The roof shades all roll up into one bundle, and the two front side shades roll up into one bundle as well.
Rolling up the three roof shades together is maybe a bit tricky.
IMG_1870.jpg

I've been raising the built in mesh shades when I park the car for the rear and rear side windows, so I held off on getting those pieces for now, but they are available.
This whole set cost $150. Car has been parked outside in the sun for most of the morning, and the sunshades seem to be doing their job, as the interior seems to be heating up much less slowly than normal, but would be interesting to get some measurements to try and quantify the difference.

I have always used the Heat Shield Store’s window shades on all my cars. I was waiting until they released one for the Lucid. I ordered just the windshield shade ($49), but the shipping seems high at $15. Then after a while they will send out a coupon for 10% off, or such. Of course, at that time, I will no longer be in the market for another window shade. If it’s a transferable coupon, I’ll post it here.

Mine would be $26 for USPS or $29 for UPS to get the windshield and top shades. It's $26/$15 shipping for just the windshield. I'm a 2.5 hour drive from their contact address, so I could just pick it up for free thanks to EA. Not sure I'm actually going to purchase, but thanks for bringing it to our attention @becauseracecar.

Ordered the windshield model yesterday. I was just about to buy one of those "one size fits none" versions at Walmart or Walgreens to tide me over until WeatherTech releases theirs, but it was great to read that one company actually makes a custom-fit version for the Lucid. Thanks @becauseracecar !!

I have always used the Heat Shield Store’s window shades on all my cars. I was waiting until they released one for the Lucid. I ordered just the windshield shade ($49), but the shipping seems high at $15. Then after a while they will send out a coupon for 10% off, or such. Of course, at that time, I will no longer be in the market for another window shade. If it’s a transferable coupon, I’ll post it here.
Thanks for info. I ordered today as well after car was sitting in 95 degree day for 8 hrs- felt like a sauna and took 20 minutes to cool down. Unfortunately forgot to cool it off remotely. 🤪

Thank you for the information. Just purchased them.

Was looking for sunshades for my Air Grand Touring to keep it cool while it's parked, and some quick googling turned these up:
https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-lucid-lucid-air-sedan

Overall impression is pretty positive. Shades seem to be cut to the right shape, and are easy to stick/unstick with the suction cups. You can get these in gold or silver, I ended up getting gold.
Biggest downside of something like this is there are a lot of pieces to put up and take down if you want to cover all the glass in the car while it's parked.

Here is the rear roof shade. A single sunshade covers the whole glass. Little awkward to put up take/down since you are holding this above your head but manageable.
View attachment 3987

The front roof shade has two pieces, one for each side. Here is the driver's side piece installed.
View attachment 3988

Front roof shade on other side, with both installed:
View attachment 3990
I suppose this might give you a rough idea of what the interior would look like with the aluminum roof, definitely a less open feel.

The front windshield shade
View attachment 3991

The front side shade
View attachment 3993

Finally here is what everything looks like rolled up and stored away. The roof shades all roll up into one bundle, and the two front side shades roll up into one bundle as well.
Rolling up the three roof shades together is maybe a bit tricky.
View attachment 3995

I've been raising the built in mesh shades when I park the car for the rear and rear side windows, so I held off on getting those pieces for now, but they are available.
This whole set cost $150. Car has been parked outside in the sun for most of the morning, and the sunshades seem to be doing their job, as the interior seems to be heating up much less slowly than normal, but would be interesting to get some measurements to try and quantify the difference.
I ordered a windshield sunshade from Heat Shield and I'm convinced they sent me the wrong one. I think the one they sent me is for the rear window, not the windshield. The one they sent doesn't fit the windshield at all. For example, it's not tall enough to reach the sun visors, and there's no cutout for the rear view mirror windshield mount.

Can you look at the attached photo and compare it to the windshield sunshade Heat Shield sent you? Thanks.

IMG_5835.jpg

I ordered a windshield sunshade from Heat Shield and I'm convinced they sent me the wrong one. I think the one they sent me is for the rear window, not the windshield. The one they sent doesn't fit the windshield at all. For example, it's not tall enough to reach the sun visors, and there's no cutout for the rear view mirror windshield mount.

Can you look at the attached photo and compare it to the windshield sunshade Heat Shield sent you? Thanks.

View attachment 4116
I got the wrong one too - or at least I got the same one as you. I’ve been in communications with them this week and they seem to be trying to figure out what’s wrong. They will be going to a Lucid showroom with a set of shades to confirm the fit. But obviously, what they sent us is too short and does not even have a cutout four the mirror housing area. Also, I think the suction cup idea “sucks” for the windshield - flipping the mirror down should hold it in place if it were the right size.

I got the wrong one too - or at least I got the same one as you. I’ve been in communications with them this week and they seem to be trying to figure out what’s wrong. They will be going to a Lucid showroom with a set of shades to confirm the fit. But obviously, what they sent us is too short and does not even have a cutout four the mirror housing area. Also, I think the suction cup idea “sucks” for the windshield - flipping the mirror down should hold it in place if it were the right size.

Thanks for your quick response. I think I’m just going to ask for a refund. The design isn’t even close to fitting the Lucid windshield and who knows how long we’d have to wait for them to design one properly and send it to us.

Thanks for your quick response. I think I’m just going to ask for a refund. The design isn’t even close to fitting the Lucid windshield and who knows how long we’d have to wait for them to design one properly and send it to us.
After looking at the pictures at the top of this post, I realized that what they sent us, is indeed what was intended for the windshield. Unfortunately, it needs to be paired with top glass part, so it can cover more area. This is obviously not what I wanted. I wanted just a windshield cover that goes up to the sun visors - like all the other windshield covers they make.

I got the roof, windshield, and front doors. Took a little bit to figure it out, and assemble all the hooks, but once I got the hang of it, meets expectations. (Though I'd love LUCID to offer a branded version.)

IMG_1244.jpeg

After looking at the pictures at the top of this post, I realized that what they sent us, is indeed what was intended for the windshield. Unfortunately, it needs to be paired with top glass part, so it can cover more area. This is obviously not what I wanted. I wanted just a windshield cover that goes up to the sun visors - like all the other windshield covers they make.

Yeah, to me the current design is absolutely unacceptable. I expected one where the windshield sun visors hold it in place, not suction cups. Plus, it has to be paired with the top glass panel to work? No way. I’ve already asked for a refund.

it's definitely cumbersome. I'll probably only use it when I know I going to be parking for the day outside in the sun. I agree, I'd prefer the windshield and roofing about the drivier and passenger be one piece.

I have gotten the following response from the HeatShield Store:

We never patterned this vehicle in person. Instead, we purchased a 3D Model from an online platform, which apparently, the designs can sometimes be inaccurate to the windows. I will physically pattern the windows on this new vehicle to get it right this time.

So, with a little patience, we should have an acceptable solution.

So... I got the reflectors from Heatshield today and agree that they do not fit well at all and are very cumbersome. In addition, they were missing several of the suction cups. I also asked for a refund.

I talked customer service at Heatshield this morning (August 22). I was told that they had measured an actual Air this past Friday (August 19), and that they hope to have a new design completed and ready to ship out by the end of this week. With no suction cups! Just the good old-fashioned approach of holding the windshield sunshade in place by folding down the sun visors. So, I put my refund request on hold for awhile to see if this works out.

Good to know. Thanks for the update. I'm holding on them for now, but would definitely prefer something less cumbersome.

Back