Review: Heat Shield Store custom sun shades for Lucid Air

I talked customer service at Heatshield this morning (August 22). I was told that they had measured an actual Air this past Friday (August 19), and that they hope to have a new design completed and ready to ship out by the end of this week. With no suction cups! Just the good old-fashioned approach of holding the windshield sunshade in place by folding down the sun visors. So, I put my refund request on hold for awhile to see if this works out.
Nice that you received a response. I sent Heatshield 2 emails since receiving them with no response. I’ll try calling tomorrow.

So, received response from Heatshield that they were remaking new shield based on actual measurements as well. I decided to ask for refund instead and they immediately refunded everything including cost of shipping . Very nice customer service after all. I decided to get a cheaper sun shield on Amazon which seems to work decently to reduce heat . Still considering tinting the car as well.

So, received response from Heatshield that they were remaking new shield based on actual measurements as well. I decided to ask for refund instead and they immediately refunded everything including cost of shipping . Very nice customer service after all. I decided to get a cheaper sun shield on Amazon which seems to work decently to reduce heat . Still considering tinting the car as well.
Which one on Amazon did you get?

Heatshield’s are the best (once they have the right fit). Highly recommended for anyone looking for a solar shade. Though I can’t say I’d mess with side/upper panels.

Quick update: I just received a new replacement set of sunshades that seem to be tweaked/updated based on the feedback posted in this thread.

Biggest change: The front windshield shade doesn't use suction cups and goes up far enough to be held in place by sun visors, front passenger roof shades are correspondingly smaller.

If you buy these today I imagine you'll get the new ones, which won't look like the pictures I posted originally. Will try to post some pics of the new ones sometime this week maybe.

Quick update: I just received a new replacement set of sunshades that seem to be tweaked/updated based on the feedback posted in this thread.

Biggest change: The front windshield shade doesn't use suction cups and goes up far enough to be held in place by sun visors, front passenger roof shades are correspondingly smaller.

If you buy these today I imagine you'll get the new ones, which won't look like the pictures I posted originally. Will try to post some pics of the new ones sometime this week maybe.
Good to know! HeatShield sent me the revised windshield design a few days ago. I hope to have it by midweek. I’m looking forward to a properly fitting windshield sunshade!

Here's some pictures of the new design. A decided improvement.
IMG_5882.jpg
IMG_5883.jpg
IMG_5885.jpg
IMG_5886.jpg
It fits properly, but is pretty big and unwieldy to install. Still, it's nice to have a windshield shade that is a custom fit for the Air.

Thanks for the pics. I ordered one. They fit and work well. I have one for my Ferrari

Here's some pictures of the new design. A decided improvement. View attachment 4633View attachment 4634View attachment 4635View attachment 4636It fits properly, but is pretty big and unwieldy to install. Still, it's nice to have a windshield shade that is a custom fit for the Air.
I got mine too and noticed the same big gap under the camera housing. I think they needed to have some cutouts for the sun visor holders. This would also help in alignment. You also have to shove the sunscreen into the bottom of the window

I suspect this will only be a short-term solution for me. If WeatherTech finally comes out with their version, I’ll almost certainly buy that as a replacement. I prefer the shade designs that are more rigid and fold up, rather than the roll up design of the Heat Shield.

Did anyone consider the new coatings ( "nano" "ceramic" ) that seem to be both hydrophobic and ray-blocking ?

Haven't done a deep dive research yet but these treatments seem to make good sense on a car this expensive. So much so that I wonder why it is not a factory option ??? I found an installer near me, who mostly does super and hyper cars costing many times more than my dirt cheap and higher performing Lucid.

I love and use the foil reflectors when down the shore, but c'mon, this is not a golf cart (aka Tesla).

ps .... never expected to get a VIN after only 7 months wait. Know anyone interested in buying a (hard to find) loaded (carbon brakes; B+O audio ) E63s wagon ? No, I drove the Lucid GT. It is not as good as (my) the AMG, but still good enough to forsake all others. Problem with the AMG is: it is very very hard to not do 150 mph on the Jersey pike when driving an AMG without the wife in the right seat. And ... you can tell AMG spent a lot tuning the exhaust sound...which rings in your balls.

Wonder if Lucid is working on an exhaust sound app? Wouldn't it be a blast these next few months when nobody knows Lucid, to sit at a redlight reving your audio system ?

Also.... first thing I do with my cars is take all the non-sponsored badges off. I'm trying to decide what badge to put on the rear so people won't bother me. YUGO ? LADA ? 2CV ?

You know, now you have me thinking about ten years ago when I considered a Tesla. I wondered, do I want a black car to save battery in the winter for heating, or do I want a white car to save battery for cooling? I ordered silver.

One interesting thing about the new design is that the roof shades for the front are much smaller since the windshield cover blocks a lot more area. Could possibly leave these up while driving as a possible solution if you find the top of your head getting warm. I think the roof glass is so opaque it isn't visibly any more reflective from outside the car as far as I can tell.

IMG_1985.jpg

In the end I did decide to still get tints on the side/rear windows (70% XPEL PRIME XR PLUS), but I still use the shades if it's hot and the car is going to be sitting outside for a long while. At 75F+ with the car outside for more than ~ 4 hours or so, seems to be around 20F cooler than with shades compared to not using them.

Was looking for sunshades for my Air Grand Touring to keep it cool while it's parked, and some quick googling turned these up:
https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-lucid-lucid-air-sedan

Overall impression is pretty positive. Shades seem to be cut to the right shape, and are easy to stick/unstick with the suction cups. You can get these in gold or silver, I ended up getting gold.
Biggest downside of something like this is there are a lot of pieces to put up and take down if you want to cover all the glass in the car while it's parked.

Here is the rear roof shade. A single sunshade covers the whole glass. Little awkward to put up take/down since you are holding this above your head but manageable.
View attachment 3987

The front roof shade has two pieces, one for each side. Here is the driver's side piece installed.
View attachment 3988

Front roof shade on other side, with both installed:
View attachment 3990
I suppose this might give you a rough idea of what the interior would look like with the aluminum roof, definitely a less open feel.

The front windshield shade
View attachment 3991

The front side shade
View attachment 3993

Finally here is what everything looks like rolled up and stored away. The roof shades all roll up into one bundle, and the two front side shades roll up into one bundle as well.
Rolling up the three roof shades together is maybe a bit tricky.
View attachment 3995

I've been raising the built in mesh shades when I park the car for the rear and rear side windows, so I held off on getting those pieces for now, but they are available.
This whole set cost $150. Car has been parked outside in the sun for most of the morning, and the sunshades seem to be doing their job, as the interior seems to be heating up much less slowly than normal, but would be interesting to get some measurements to try and quantify the difference.
Can the top roof ones be left on permanently? Do the hanging round pull things hit your face or any part of it? Thanks

Bought a set from Costco for $12 (Jumbo, not Standard). They are very light, metallic silver on one side and blue on the other. I'd swear they were made for the Lucid. The set includes 2 shades for the side windows but the windows are way too short for them to work. But guess what? Those are almost perfect for the glass about the driver and passenger. I wish I could find a way to get another set of those small ones. For the price, I might just set the whole thing. They are available online thru Costco as well, but you have to buy 2 sets. https://www.costco.com/type-s-interior-auto-sunshade.product.100645460.html. Free return so you have nothing to lose. You fold them up by twisting in a figure-8; there is an elastic band that keeps it folded. My wife can fold it in a couple of nanoseconds but I've never been able to so :-( I just toss them in the back seat.

Bought a set from Costco for $12 (Jumbo, not Standard). They are very light, metallic silver on one side and blue on the other. I'd swear they were made for the Lucid. The set includes 2 shades for the side windows but the windows are way too short for them to work. But guess what? Those are almost perfect for the glass about the driver and passenger. I wish I could find a way to get another set of those small ones. For the price, I might just set the whole thing. They are available online thru Costco as well, but you have to buy 2 sets. https://www.costco.com/type-s-interior-auto-sunshade.product.100645460.html. Free return so you have nothing to lose. You fold them up by twisting in a figure-8; there is an elastic band that keeps it folded. My wife can fold it in a couple of nanoseconds but I've never been able to so :-( I just toss them in the back seat.
I am using these from my previous car. The sun visors hold the windshield shade in place. The window shades are great for the front glass roof. I've had mine on the roof for months.

Went to Costco yesterday, and the price dropped to $8.99. Dammit! I coulda saved $3 lol!

Posting this in case it’s helpful to anyone. I was looking for electrostatic film to put on the inside of the car to help deflect some of heat in the summer but to be able to pull them off the rest of the year. I also wanted to be able to use them while driving.

I found these on Amazon. There were meant for eh side windows but are working pretty well overall.

They fit almost perfectly in the front. They just cover the passengers in the back. I’m thinking about buying a smaller set to cover the gap. The ones I ordered are 16x25.

They work pretty well. No suction cups just electrostatic adhesion. For $12 now $15 they were worth a shot.

Enovoe Car Window Shade - (4 Pack) - XL - 25" x 16" - Cling Car Sun Shade for Windows - Sun, Glare and UV Rays Protection for Your Child - Baby Car Shades for Side Window https://a.co/d/hvOugko

IMG_6229.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
Posting this in case it’s helpful to anyone. I was looking for electrostatic film to put on the inside of the car to help deflect some of heat in the summer but to be able to pull them off the rest of the year. I also wanted to be able to use them while driving.

I found these on Amazon. There were meant for eh side windows but are working pretty well overall.

They fit almost perfectly in the front. They just cover the passengers in the back. I’m thinking about buying a smaller set to cover the gap. The ones I ordered are 16x25.

They work pretty well. No suction cups just electrostatic adhesion. For $12 now $15 they were worth a shot.

Enovoe Car Window Shade - (4 Pack) - XL - 25" x 16" - Cling Car Sun Shade for Windows - Sun, Glare and UV Rays Protection for Your Child - Baby Car Shades for Side Window https://a.co/d/hvOugko

View attachment 12538
Update on these. They have made a big difference while driving on 95° day. I need to get more to have fuller coverage.

Was looking for sunshades for my Air Grand Touring to keep it cool while it's parked, and some quick googling turned these up:
https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-lucid-lucid-air-sedan

Overall impression is pretty positive. Shades seem to be cut to the right shape, and are easy to stick/unstick with the suction cups. You can get these in gold or silver, I ended up getting gold.
Biggest downside of something like this is there are a lot of pieces to put up and take down if you want to cover all the glass in the car while it's parked.

Here is the rear roof shade. A single sunshade covers the whole glass. Little awkward to put up take/down since you are holding this above your head but manageable.
View attachment 3987

The front roof shade has two pieces, one for each side. Here is the driver's side piece installed.
View attachment 3988

Front roof shade on other side, with both installed:
View attachment 3990
I suppose this might give you a rough idea of what the interior would look like with the aluminum roof, definitely a less open feel.

The front windshield shade
View attachment 3991

The front side shade
View attachment 3993

Finally here is what everything looks like rolled up and stored away. The roof shades all roll up into one bundle, and the two front side shades roll up into one bundle as well.
Rolling up the three roof shades together is maybe a bit tricky.
View attachment 3995

I've been raising the built in mesh shades when I park the car for the rear and rear side windows, so I held off on getting those pieces for now, but they are available.
This whole set cost $150. Car has been parked outside in the sun for most of the morning, and the sunshades seem to be doing their job, as the interior seems to be heating up much less slowly than normal, but would be interesting to get some measurements to try and quantify the difference.
I just ordered the liners for the roof, not sure why Lucid or weathertech is too slow to get in the game. But living out here in Palm Springs got me so desperate for cover that I was ready to cut up my own cardboard and stick it up there with tape. This would at least be aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for the info!

Back