Reduced power based on state of charge?

Ricetomeetyou

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AT, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
XXOKDA0I
I visited family today and when we arrived, the Lucid only had 60 miles of remaining range (I always try to keep between 20-80% but it got a little lower today). Anyways, today was the first day my brother saw the car so I took for a drive. I put the car in sprint and upon doing launch mode, the power was significantly reduced compared to how the car normally performs (head snapping back/roller coaster feel). That led me to believe that the vehicle must have a set battery level where it reduces power even if in sprint mode. Can anyone confirm this is normal?

I couldn't find this anywhere in the manual or by searching the forum, but I feel like it was discussed somewhere. Sorry if it has been mentioned plenty of times.

I visited family today and when we arrived, the Lucid only had 60 miles of remaining range (I always try to keep between 20-80% but it got a little lower today). Anyways, today was the first day my brother saw the car so I took for a drive. I put the car in sprint and upon doing launch mode, the power was significantly reduced compared to how the car normally performs (head snapping back/roller coaster feel). That led me to believe that the vehicle must have a set battery level where it reduces power even if in sprint mode. Can anyone confirm this is normal?

I couldn't find this anywhere in the manual or by searching the forum, but I feel like it was discussed somewhere. Sorry if it has been mentioned plenty of times.
If the battery isn't warmed up, it won't give you optimal power. That's why putting the car into sprint mode also preconditions the battery. You should put it in sprint, and drive that way for around 15-20 minutes. Then try launch.

And to answer another question you didn't ask, if you're in low state of charge, like 20%, the power of the car will also be less.

Thanks for the reply. Does it mention this in the manual anywhere that you've seen?

What exactly happens when it "preconditions" the battery? Just makes the battery cells warm and more readily available? I've always understood that heat is bad for electronics so the concept seems weird to me.

Thanks for the reply. Does it mention this in the manual anywhere that you've seen?

What exactly happens when it "preconditions" the battery? Just makes the battery cells warm and more readily available? I've always understood that heat is bad for electronics so the concept seems weird to me.
A cold battery or a super hot battery isn't good for the battery.

But the car knows how to manage it's thermal systems to bring the temperature to optimal levels.

So it's not "warming it up" per se, temperature only. But it just means it is bringing the battery to better operating temperatures, whether that be lower or higher than it currently is.

Preconditioning does exactly that, to prepare it to get ready to take in high voltage current from a DC fast charger.

This isn't mentioned in the manual, but it's discussed on the forums. But this is just a known thing for all EV's

Simple economics. The battery is under warranty longer than the rest of the car. And it’s the most expensive part in the car. Thus, it’s in the manufacturer’s best interest to protect that battery from all external dangers at all costs. Including the driver.

To answer your question, yes, totally normal. Voltage/potential energy drops very quickly at lower states of charge, plus software limitations so that you are less likely to be stranded. Only an issue around 10% and below.

As the SOC decreases the battery voltage also decreases. As voltage goes down the available power to the electric motors decreases. It is not very noticeable at higher states of charge but is noticeable at low states of charge.

As the SOC decreases the battery voltage also decreases. As voltage goes down the available power to the electric motors decreases. It is not very noticeable at higher states of charge but is noticeable at low states of charge.
How does the taycan do it if its about chemistry though?

Back