Rear Deck Creaking Noise

Really? You “completely disagree” with me? The approach proposed to fix a brand new $150,000 car is a do-it-yourself solution using “foam tape,” ”butter knife,” and/or “creating bumps” to validate the poor fit and finish for the Service Center. I haven’t had any need for foam tape, a butter knife and/or creating bumps for the EQS. I think my point about poor “fit and finish” of the Lucid at least somewhat valid
Fair point. Perhaps completely was a bit of a strong word. But we’re talking about one creak in one spot in a handful of cars in cold weather only. Hardly a Tesla panel-gaps-and-crap-paint catastrophe.

I think some of us have different levels of tolerance for the small things. Personally, creaking is one of the few things that drives me nuts, so I hope I don’t run into this with my car. But others get a piece of foam and go on with their lives stress free.

Can’t say my way is better for my health.

Now where did I put that butter knife…

LOL. Jeff Bezos is sending me felt AND foam tape on Saturday. I have the butter knife on the counter waiting! I will let you know how it goes.
Take a trip to Wendy's and pick up a plastic butter knife...less likely to scratch anything. ;)

Really? You “completely disagree” with me? The approach proposed to fix a brand new $150,000 car is a do-it-yourself solution using “foam tape,” ”butter knife,” and/or “creating bumps” to validate the poor fit and finish for the Service Center. I haven’t had any need for foam tape, a butter knife and/or creating bumps for the EQS. I think my point about poor “fit and finish” of the Lucid at least somewhat valid
No, what I proposed was to take a small piece of black foam tape and placing it a spacer between two surfaces that are rubbing together. This has nothing to do with the price of the car. It is a elegant solution that is invisible from the inside and outside and definitively solves an extremely minor problem. In fact, I originally bought that very foam tape to solve a rattle where two pieces of material meet behind the steering wheel of my Aston Martin, a car which is far more expensive. The car is now whisper quiet, except for the roar of that lovely V12.

Have you had any other issues with fit and finish other than this one? If not, how can you make a general comment about fit and finish of the entire vehicle based on one minor, easily solvable problem?

Some people are fixers, and some people are blamers. I guess I am a fixer. What are you?

This constantly reiterating the cost of the car and how this car completely sucks compared to your EQS is getting tiresome. I took a quick look at the EQS forum. There are people complaining of an annoyingly loud air-conditioning compressor. Therefore, I have concluded that the entire EQS is a low quality car. This is in addition to it being ugly.

It sounds like you are dissatisfied with your Lucid. I’m sorry to hear that, because I am really enjoying it. I have had many cars, some very high-end exotics. This Lucid is the best combination of luxury and sport that I’ve ever owned. I’m certainly not going to let one minor creak for the rear deck taint that experience!

Last edited:
Fair point. Perhaps completely was a bit of a strong word. But we’re talking about one creak in one spot in a handful of cars in cold weather only. Hardly a Tesla panel-gaps-and-crap-paint catastrophe.

I think some of us have different levels of tolerance for the small things. Personally, creaking is one of the few things that drives me nuts, so I hope I don’t run into this with my car. But others get a piece of foam and go on with their lives stress free.

Same here, when music is playing I don’t notice it. When silent , it’s like nails on a chalkboard!! I would be happy with a simple do it yourself fix but will give the service team a shot to remedy it first. That’s my only real fit and finish issue of any significance.

No, what I proposed was to take a small piece of black foam tape and placing it a spacer between two surfaces that are rubbing together. This has nothing to do with the price of the car. It is a elegant solution that is invisible from the inside and outside and definitively solves an extremely minor problem. In fact, I originally bought that very foam tape to solve a rattle where two pieces of material meet behind the steering wheel of my Aston Martin, a car which is far more expensive. The car is now whisper quiet, except for the roar of that lovely V12.

Have you had any other issues with fit and finish other than this one? If not, how can you make a general comment about fit and finish of the entire vehicle based on one minor, easily solvable problem?

Some people are fixers, and some people are blamers. I guess I am a fixer. What are you?

This constantly reiterating the cost of the car and how this car completely sucks compared to your EQS is getting tiresome. I took a quick look at the EQS forum. There are people complaining of an annoyingly loud air-conditioning compressor. Therefore, I have concluded that the entire EQS is a low quality car. This is in addition to it being ugly.

It sounds like you are dissatisfied with your Lucid. I’m sorry to hear that, because I am really enjoying it. I have had many cars, some very high-end exotics. This Lucid is the best combination of luxury and sport that I’ve ever owned. I’m certainly not going to let one minor creak for the rear deck taint that experience!

You’ve got both the Bobby reset and the foam fix now! We can’t wait to see what’s next.😉

I had a lot of buzzing noise from the rear deck from the music. I just got my car back after two weeks in the shop and whatever they did, the noise is eliminated. It would buzz a moderate volume at lower bass frequencies.

I have to completely disagree with you here. Now that the rear deck creaking noise has been solved with a small foam spacer, my car is 100% silent. I do hear the front motor whine, which I like, but there is not a single rattle or squeak anywhere.

“It’s no longer happening to me so therefore it’s fixed”. This is unhelpful to many of us who still experience annoying noises from a poorly assembled/fitting interior. Solved? You consider fitting an unsightly foam spacer an engineering fix for a problem that was not thought through properly by the manufacturer? How many people are willing to fix their own $140,000 vehicle with foam strips? I’m not. Please don’t fault us for not willing to accept a DIY solution to a poorly designed (in practice) interior.

Is it shocking that a leather lined surface rubbing against glass is going to squeak? No. Should that be the customer’s problem. Absolutely not!

I understand many people who purchased this vehicle are willing to put up with imperfections because it’s a new manufacturer. I am not. I suspect others are in this camp.

Badger,

I think your point, and mine, are completely missed by many (most?) in this forum.

I will share whatever attempted solution Lucid proposes with you. Rest assured, I will not back down until this vehicle behaves like a new vehicle ought to (inside and out).

Let’s agree that Bobby’s “solution” is not for everyone. I’m glad it worked for him.

The rear deck creaking noise is my biggest gripe about the car ( besides the lack of appropriate all weather mats 😁).
I am having a service visit next week and will see what they say.
It’s really hard to reproduce the noise . Sometimes it’s very prominent, sometimes it’s barely audible. When I push down it does creak somewhat but I really cannot determine where the noise originates from when I go over bumps. Anyway, perhaps I’ll find a solution . If so, I will be sure to follow up.
Much appreciated. If the service center manages to fix my issue I will ask what was done and post here.

The all weather mats seem to be a bit more available. I ordered mine and am waiting for delivery.

Much appreciated. If the service center manages to fix my issue I will ask what was done and post here.

The all weather mats seem to be a bit more available. I ordered mine and am waiting for delivery.

As far as mats, I need greater coverage for the footwells, so I am hoping that 3D mats will be ready

It’s not a cold weather phenomenon. For me it became worse with the cold, but it was very much there from day 1 of delivery.

It is very much dependent on individual tolerance for creaking etc. I used to own a base trim Prius that had creaks and rattles…but then I paid under $30K for that vehicle. I have a now 4 year old Audi Q5 with 50K miles. I hear zero creaks from that vehicle (rain or shine, -20 or 110 degrees - all of which it’s lived through). It’s an unfair comparison as that vehicle costs less than half of the Lucid yet it’s interior is far above in quality. Wrapping some surfaces in Alcantara may look pretty, but when you realize the plastic trim that lines the car is held together by Velcro that falls apart in anything outside of 40-80 degree southern CA weather then you have a recipe for unhappy customers.

“It’s no longer happening to me so therefore it’s fixed”. This is unhelpful to many of us who still experience annoying noises from a poorly assembled/fitting interior. Solved? You consider fitting an unsightly foam spacer an engineering fix for a problem that was not thought through properly by the manufacturer? How many people are willing to fix their own $140,000 vehicle with foam strips? I’m not. Please don’t fault us for not willing to accept a DIY solution to a poorly designed (in practice) interior.

Is it shocking that a leather lined surface rubbing against glass is going to squeak? No. Should that be the customer’s problem. Absolutely not!

I understand many people who purchased this vehicle are willing to put up with imperfections because it’s a new manufacturer. I am not. I suspect others are in this camp.
How can something that can’t be seen from the inside or outside be unsightly? I don’t agree that it’s a poor design versus not a good fit on some vehicles. Many of us don’t have the creak so it seems more like variability in manufacturing tolerances between the rear deck and glass. Would you be upset if the fix Lucid applies is similar to what @Bobby did if it silences the creak and is invisible?

I don’t think many of us are willing to put up with imperfections- we want them fixed. Some are just willing to be the fixer and some want the manufacturer to fix it.

It’s not a cold weather phenomenon. For me it became worse with the cold, but it was very much there from day 1 of delivery.

It is very much dependent on individual tolerance for creaking etc. I used to own a base trim Prius that had creaks and rattles…but then I paid under $30K for that vehicle. I have a now 4 year old Audi Q5 with 50K miles. I hear zero creaks from that vehicle (rain or shine, -20 or 110 degrees - all of which it’s lived through). It’s an unfair comparison as that vehicle costs less than half of the Lucid yet it’s interior is far above in quality. Wrapping some surfaces in Alcantara may look pretty, but when you realize the plastic trim that lines the car is held together by Velcro that falls apart in anything outside of 40-80 degree southern CA weather then you have a recipe for unhappy customers.

Understandable that individuals have different tolerances for imperfections.
My creaking issue has been present since early in ownership, during warm and cold weather. In all honesty, it’s really the only fit and finish issue of any significance in my car.

If I can get resolution from my service visit that is great. If I can’t then I will resort to the Bobby fix, if it is applicable to my situation.
Being so far from a service center may require some compromise, we shall see.

When I play music ( almost always ), I cannot notice it, so that’s awesome. 😉😉

How can something that can’t be seen from the inside or outside be unsightly? I don’t agree that it’s a poor design versus not a good fit on some vehicles. Many of us don’t have the creak so it seems more like variability in manufacturing tolerances between the rear deck and glass. Would you be upset if the fix Lucid applies is similar to what @Bobby did if it silences the creak and is invisible?

I don’t think many of us are willing to put up with imperfections- we want them fixed. Some are just willing to be the fixer and some want the manufacturer to fix it.
I would not be upset if the fix Lucid implemented was similar to what Bobby suggested. If that creak were to reappear in a year however, I would go back to Lucid and mention that their prior fix was not a fix. A DIY solution has no warranty…if anything you’re voiding it by modifying the original design of the vehicle. That’s a big difference in my book.

I would not be upset if the fix Lucid implemented was similar to what Bobby suggested. If that creak were to reappear in a year however, I would go back to Lucid and mention that their prior fix was not a fix. A DIY solution has no warranty…if anything you’re voiding it by modifying the original design of the vehicle. That’s a big difference in my book.
Ive investigated this. Ive also had it at the seattle service center. They said they fixed it and its stated so in their job report. And they say they cant hear any rattling. However, its about as noisy as before. Im not sure they even test drove it through bumps because you cant really miss it. They used strips of sticky felt and you see individual strips placed irregularily through the window -- looks quite unprofessional and tacky. Looking for what type of bump causes the best rattling, i drove around town testing bumps. I found that the speed bumps at Costco gave the best results. Driving 5 mi/hr gives very good rattling. Ive ordered the same, see link below. Ill first set them up on my street just to double check and then take them to the service center asking if theyre willing and capable fixing it. And not by makeshift felt. If theyre not capable, ill bring it to someone that can. I know, complete nonsens. I just got my car back from the service center repairing 21 delivery descrepencies. It was in their shop for 34 contineous days! It was in my garage for 21 days from delivery until they picked it up for the repairs.

Back