Really bad efficiency in my Pure (during PPF)

MichaelW

Cars
LUCID Air Pure AWD
No bad weather. No hard driving.
Why do I avg 2.9-3.0 miles per KWH??

I was at 85% charge when I started and 126 miles in I am down to 41%. Based on my last month, I’m lucky to get 200mi before down to about 10-15%.

Should I address with lucid?

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpeg
    IMG_3993.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Is this mostly city driving?

Weather please, are you using AC or heat?, what regen? And how much time sitting around using up energy while not driving?

“Since last charge” tracks all usage including battery drain while parked.

No bad weather. No hard driving.
Why do I avg 2.9-3.0 miles per KWH??

I was at 85% charge when I started and 126 miles in I am down to 41%. Based on my last month, I’m lucky to get 200mi before down to about 10-15%.

Should I address with lucid?
What does your trip reading say? The reading since last charge includes phantom drain for locking, unlocking starting up and shutting down. It is not good a good number if the car has been sitting or running errands. It is only good for a drive immediately after charging.

Wheel size? Pressure on go pedal? Speeding?

Is this mostly city driving?

Weather please, are you using AC or heat?, what regen? And how much time sitting around using up energy while not driving?

“Since last charge” tracks all usage including battery drain while parked.

What does your trip reading say? The reading since last charge includes phantom drain for locking, unlocking starting up and shutting down. It is not good a good number if the car has been sitting or running errands. It is only good for a drive immediately after charging.

Now *THAT* is awesome support from the community here! OP was 16 minutes ago and already 4 members are trying to help with the concern! Nice work!

IMG_6498.jpeg

This is a recent pic of my Touring. I usually reset A when I want to track efficiency. My Trip B is all time driving. See how trip A is slightly better than “since last charge” due to Phantom energy use.

Our Pure with 19s gets 3.4. GT on 21s is averaging 3.0 and my acceleration has been known to make kids nauseous in the back 😎.

This is a recent pic of my Touring. I usually reset A when I want to track efficiency. My Trip B is all time driving. See how trip A is slightly better than “since last charge” due to Phantom energy use.

But I mean since last charge is the real accurate image right? Phantom drain still costs you money at the end of the day

But I mean since last charge is the real accurate image right? Phantom drain still costs you money at the end of the day
Yes, it does. But on the 126 miles that Michael used as the example, phantom energy use could be a significant drag on efficiency.

I looked at it this way. My old BMW would be filled with gas once a week for about $80. My Lucid is plugged in twice a week for about $22 of electricity cost. And the Lucid is faster and more fun to drive. Win win.

It is energy that you pay for but it is not energy that decreases road trip range, nor is it a good metric when comparing efficiency with other Lucid owners.

Wow. this is great info.

I run the heat/air as normal but only have it set at 69 degrees. Tires are the larger aero wheels with inserts in. Not a lot of sitting around with car on.
It's a 14 mile commute to work (each way) so that's the majority of it. Weather has been 55-69 degrees as a norm. Speeds on the freeway range from 10mph to 65mph, but nothing too fast.

They say with my wheels I should expect 380mi on a full charge so I would expect that 300mi on 85% would be reasonable with normal driving. Looks like it's more like 200-220 the way it's going.

I would do a controlled road test. Reset one of the trip meters. Turn off HVAC. Go to a highway or some road that is flat and you can drive steady 50-55. Use ACC and do not touch the pedals. Run for 5-10 miles and see what efficiency is. If temps are over 40F you should easily get over 4.5 mi/kWh.

well, I figured it out
Driving around with the A/C on uses about 30% more juice. I normally don’t turn it off here in LA, so it’s just running in the background. This trip was a mixture of highway and traffic, and I averaged 4.5mi/kwh. Big jump!! Who would have thought.

You guys are all great with your suggestions , so thank you.

IMG_3994.jpeg

I think temperature is something that doesn't get brought up enough. It does drop the range quite a bit. I never noticed it driving My Model S before since I always leave it on, but my work car is a Chevy Bolt, which I mess with a lot trying to see the efficiency. The on and off of air conditioning drops the range of 15 to 20% (in this case, closer to 30%), and Heat is closer to 30 to 40%. The great thing about the Bolt is, that once the HVAC is on, it tells you immediately how much range was lost. I wish that's something in other EVs too.

well, I figured it out
Driving around with the A/C on uses about 30% more juice. I normally don’t turn it off here in LA, so it’s just running in the background. This trip was a mixture of highway and traffic, and I averaged 4.5mi/kwh. Big jump!! Who would have thought.

You guys are all great with your suggestions , so thank you.

View attachment 17493
holy smokes! thats a lot of energy usage.

Wow. this is great info.

I run the heat/air as normal but only have it set at 69 degrees. Tires are the larger aero wheels with inserts in. Not a lot of sitting around with car on.
It's a 14 mile commute to work (each way) so that's the majority of it. Weather has been 55-69 degrees as a norm. Speeds on the freeway range from 10mph to 65mph, but nothing too fast.

They say with my wheels I should expect 380mi on a full charge so I would expect that 300mi on 85% would be reasonable with normal driving. Looks like it's more like 200-220 the way it's going.
Also, how heavy your foot is off the line matters to move a car that heavy! On my GT 21", I get 2.8-2.9 if I drive in Swift and accelerate off the line at stops like I'm a race car driver around the Valley. If I drive conservatively on Comfort with mixed highway and city like on a roundtrip LA-SD with my creature comforts (A/C, music, massage seats, phone charging) I average 3.2-3.5 as long as I keep my speed under 80 with HA. So, you can drive the car for fun or efficiency.

Also, how heavy your foot is off the line matters to move a car that heavy! On my GT 21", I get 2.8-2.9 if I drive in Swift and accelerate off the line at stops like I'm a race car driver around the Valley. If I drive conservatively on Comfort with mixed highway and city like on a roundtrip LA-SD with my creature comforts (A/C, music, massage seats, phone charging) I average 3.2-3.5 as long as I keep my speed under 80 with HA. So, you can drive the car for fun or efficiency.
Are finding the A/C saps 20-30% more??

Are finding the A/C saps 20-30% more??
On my commute to and from work I average 3.5 m/kWhr in the winter and 3.2 m/kWhr in the summer. This is Phoenix with two thirds of the drive on freeway at 70-75 mph (speed of traffic). So that works out to about 10% for AC.

Back