real world range: Tahoe (15 deg f) to Bay Area (50 deg f)

My last 2 road trips with Turo Tesla was similar story. But it was in Texas in 2021 and 2020, I’m sure Tesla has been constantly improving its supercharging network. I’ve seen them in Bucci stations.
It was even worse in the recycled old video from the Mainplace Mall because at that time, the occupancy and broken-down status were not implemented on the car's navigation and the cell phone app.

Owners wouldn't want to risk to drive to the next station because of the lack of Supercharger status.

Now, the Supercharger status is real-time. You can see how many stalls are available, how many bays are offline and which stall (like stall labeled with 5A, 13B...) If a driver has enough range, that info is useful to skip the busy stations and go for the vacant ones.

It was even worse in the recycled old video from the Mainplace Mall because at that time, the occupancy and broken-down status were not implemented on the car's navigation and the cell phone app.

Owners wouldn't want to risk to drive to the next station because of the lack of Supercharger status.

Now, the Supercharger status is real-time. You can see how many stalls are available, how many bays are offline and which stall (like stall labeled with 5A, 13B...) If a driver has enough range, that info is useful to skip the busy stations and go for the vacant ones.
Other brands with EA will get there. Or maybe other brands should have joint venture together to start a new network. Rivian is building own 3500 DC fast charging stalls this year, but I don’t see any of them in Texas map.

It would make good story if there is conspiracy theory of Tesla saboteurs working in EA, so people can be swayed to just go buy Tesla instead. Why not? China is putting spins in social media influencers in Taiwan “communism is great”.

Great, just what we needed, let’s hack (and show people how to hack) the already unreliable EA network.

I like that @joec is pushing back against the "but it's not perfect" vibe. It's not any person or point of view in particular...it's just keeping the balance. Thanks to joec and all the fanboys here. Here's my contribution: I have never had a problem with EA. Always open and always starts charging as soon as I press "continue". It seems everywhere I go the EA chargers are open and working perfectly. Sigh.

Bbq9 thanks for that excellent post.
you're welcome

must admit I was super confused to be gone for a couple of weeks and find my "the car made a for a great stressfree cold as hell roadtrip as I could want" had become "Tesla is the only car for road trips"

I find the tone (on the forum) draining. as somebody who joined in 2021, surrounded by excited helpful wannabe (and a few lucky) owners, it was great. I was religous in reading & contributing. I am sorry to say a lot of that energy has left me. it has become a chore.

Regarding EA
I used EA four times in this journey, and while I change station twice, my charging experience was quick and painless.
Was it as efficient as a gas station? nah. I've never charged a tesla so I cant compare. but the EA experience wasn't awful. Maybe I am lucky, but not so lucky as to go rush and buy a lottery ticket.

And in the three long roadtrips I have done including to Scottsdale and Bend from Bay Area I have always managed a charge at an EA station. so to me, EA hasn't let me down. have there been times where it was the 3rd or 4th station? yes, but always got a charge. have I been happy to be throttled? nope. but I have always got a charge. and with enough range I can take >20% in <10mins and move on.

you're welcome

must admit I was super confused to be gone for a couple of weeks and find my "the car made a for a great stressfree cold as hell roadtrip as I could want" had become "Tesla is the only car for road trips"

I find the tone (on the forum) draining. as somebody who joined in 2021, surrounded by excited helpful wannabe (and a few lucky) owners, it was great. I was religous in reading & contributing. I am sorry to say a lot of that energy has left me. it has become a chore.

Regarding EA
I used EA four times in this journey, and while I change station twice, my charging experience was quick and painless.
Was it as efficient as a gas station? nah. I've never charged a tesla so I cant compare. but the EA experience wasn't awful. Maybe I am lucky, but not so lucky as to go rush and buy a lottery ticket.

And in the three long roadtrips I have done including to Scottsdale and Bend from Bay Area I have always managed a charge at an EA station. so to me, EA hasn't let me down. have there been times where it was the 3rd or 4th station? yes, but always got a charge. have I been happy to be throttled? nope. but I have always got a charge. and with enough range I can take >20% in <10mins and move on.
I just got back from a short road trip to Breckenridge, and I too had no trouble with EA. I had to launch the Lucid App and tap the EA button, then choose the correct charger, but then it just worked.

I had not been prompted to do that app thing before, but I got a push notification on my phone letting me know how to do it, so it was no big deal.

My charging speed wasn’t great at 68 kWh on a 150 charger, but I was at 50% when I started, it was about 2 degrees outside, and I failed to precondition, so I wasn’t expecting miracles. Got up to 80% in 20 minutes and went on my way.

With that little top off on my way up the mountain, I ended up getting back home four days later with about 48% charge left. (Downhill driving is the best.) So I didn’t really need to charge, anyway. But it was nice to have the peace of mind.

My Touring continues to impress me with range. On snow tires, in negative temperatures, I’m still averaging about 3.1 mi / kWh. That’s with heat seats, steering wheel, heat on, and music playing. And it was bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way up the mountain for a good portion of the trip.

Also of note: I parked in a non-heated garage while there, and slept in a bedroom that was over the garage. Despite my fob and phone being well within Bluetooth range, the car only lost about 2% charge in three days of sitting there. It woke the car up whenever I went out to the garage, of course, and probably some other random times throughout the night, but it had no impact on my ability to get home without charging. And my fob batteries seem to be doing fine.

Back