Range on Gravity

Does the vampire drain occur only on the first few drive cycles? It's probably just the BMS (battery management system) misestimating the state of charge. If you were actually losing 5-6% in a few hours I think you'd hear the cooling fan running, that's a lot of energy.
 
Yeah that phantom drain is not normal, turn off proximity lock/unlock and use fob buttons to unlock vehicle and see if that helps. Turn off WiFi too to make sure it’s not stuck downloading some huge offline map or something. I’d also do the long steering wheel reset to make sure. Hard to guess what else could be causing it but that’s definitely not normal.

Our Gravity Dream Edition was turned over to our PPF installer on September 29 with 68% charge on it. It's being finished up today (October 14), has not been plugged in during its stay, has been parked outside in South Florida heat for some days, and has been moved around good bit. (I keep track of it on the Lucid app.). Right now it's sitting at 60% charge.

Our other Gravity DE was at the Roswell Service Center for over three weeks. I kept track of its charge during the stay and it, too, saw very little battery drain. In fact, I got frustrated that the SC plugged it back in before putting it on the truck to be shipped back to us because they charged it beyond the 80% limit I set before I caught it and stopped the charge from the app.
 
I ve been driving my Gravity GGT for the last two weeks. The range has been very poor. I ve been getting around 2.54 mi/kwh. About 250 miles on a full charge. It’s a 7 seater with 21/22 tires. I don’t speed and I drive mostly on flat surfaces. This is much worse than my model 3 which is 6 yrs old. Any ideas what could be wrong?
I am getting 2.79 to 2.84 on the same build
 
Our Gravity Dream Edition was turned over to our PPF installer on September 29 with 68% charge on it. It's being finished up today (October 14), has not been plugged in during its stay, has been parked outside in South Florida heat for some days, and has been moved around good bit. (I keep track of it on the Lucid app.). Right now it's sitting at 60% charge.

Our other Gravity DE was at the Roswell Service Center for over three weeks. I kept track of its charge during the stay and it, too, saw very little battery drain. In fact, I got frustrated that the SC plugged it back in before putting it on the truck to be shipped back to us because they charged it beyond the 80% limit I set before I caught it and stopped the charge from the app.
Off topic but why is it taking weeks for your PPF installer? If it is just sitting on his lot for the majority of the time, why not just keep it at your house until he is ready?
 
Off topic but why is it taking weeks for your PPF installer? If it is just sitting on his lot for the majority of the time, why not just keep it at your house until he is ready?

Their schedule was pretty full, and I wasn't sure just when the Gravity would be delivered. So I had to guess at a safe date to give them to get an appointment locked in, but the car arrived a week earlier. Since we live near sand quarries and often get caught behind convoys of dump trucks, I didn't want the temptation of having the Gravity in our garage that week, so I had it delivered directly to the PPF installer.
 
That has to be a form of torture - so close and yet so far away for weeks!

The real torture is the anxiety of waiting to find out whether it's going to be as problem-plagued as our first Gravity.

I was able to drive it a bit on the day of delivery, but the Studio's location in downtown Miami meant that was nothing more than driving in circles from stoplight to stoplight one block at a time. In that limited circumstance, I was at least able to determine that the navigation and the GPS system were functioning, that the HUD didn't send large white ghosts dancing across the windshield, and that second-row seat noises didn't drive me nuts.
 
Does the vampire drain occur only on the first few drive cycles? It's probably just the BMS (battery management system) misestimating the state of charge. If you were actually losing 5-6% in a few hours I think you'd hear the cooling fan running, that's a lot of energy.
It doesn't happen consistently all the time. Probably once or twice per charge and drive cycle.
 
The real torture is the anxiety of waiting to find out whether it's going to be as problem-plagued as our first Gravity.

I was able to drive it a bit on the day of delivery, but the Studio's location in downtown Miami meant that was nothing more than driving in circles from stoplight to stoplight one block at a time. In that limited circumstance, I was at least able to determine that the navigation and the GPS system were functioning, that the HUD didn't send large white ghosts dancing across the windshield, and that second-row seat noises didn't drive me nuts.
I think yours was built close to when mine was given my original delivery date was supposed to be 9/29. I’ve only had the usual dumb software glitches aside from keycards not working to drive the car (they unlock fine) which makes me think I’ll need a new center console, but that’s really only one problem. Does your HUD (the replaced one) randomly make the display items brighter and dimmer in sort of a weird cycle sometimes? Mine does and I can’t tell if it’s trying to auto adjust based on exterior lighting conditions of it’s actually a defect.
 
So since the last charge cycle I haven't had any significant charge consumption issues while being parked and idle. I looked at my battery usage today and noticed something...

Since last charging session,
Total 32.6% used.
86.4 miles driven.
22% for Driving.
5.8% for Climate.
Elevation 2.3%.

Is this amount of usage normal for Climate control? Usually have seat warming on 1/3. Front and leg blowers blowing at fan speed 5 to 7 with target tem at 78.
 
I think yours was built close to when mine was given my original delivery date was supposed to be 9/29.

Well, maybe there's some hope then . . . .

Does your HUD (the replaced one) randomly make the display items brighter and dimmer in sort of a weird cycle sometimes? Mine does and I can’t tell if it’s trying to auto adjust based on exterior lighting conditions of it’s actually a defect.

It does, but the HUD has slipped so far down my list of continuing concerns that I haven't thought much about it. If it does anything that really bothers me, I'll just turn it off and try to forget it's there. I find that the projected image can't be lowered enough for my liking, anyway. There are a couple of bridges that arch over canals on our street, and when going up over them the image moves dead center into my field of view, which is momentarily disconcerting. (I've also had this happen going up a shadowy ramp in a parking garage, and the HUD projection is bright enough to wash out the view of the ramp walls.) And I still haven't heard back from Lucid about how they want to handle the recurrence of the GPS malfunction or what they're going to do about the partially burned-out accent light strip.
 
What temperature is it outside?
78 sounds very warm!
Agreed. 78 is quite high. Even if it’s 30 degrees out. Unless it’s 95 and you’re cooling it to 78…climate will eat up range when it’s out of whack (that is, super high in cold and vice versa).
 
- buys huge wheels
- wonders why range is affected

Increasing tire size massively impacts range in a negative way on any EV. I do not understand why everyone is so horny for bigger tires, especially if they’re going to then complain about range.
Yeah, we ran into that with the Porsche Macan we bought in June. Found one in stock that checked nearly every box, except it had the 22" wheels instead of the 20" we wanted. To add insult to injury, they cost an extra $4300.
 
I do not understand why everyone is so horny for bigger tires . . . .

Read some reviews of how the Hankooks on the 20/21" wheels handle rain and then watch Jonathan Benson's (of Tyre Reviews) in-depth testing of the the Pirelli tires on the 22/23" wheels. Then you'll understand why some of us might want the Pirellis on the Gravity over the Hankooks, even at the cost of some range loss.

Benson makes the point in many of his excellent reviews that wet performance is one of the most important safety factors in tire choices -- far more than dry performance -- but also one to which many buyers assign little weight.
 
Yeah, we ran into that with the Porsche Macan we bought in June. Found one in stock that checked nearly every box, except it had the 22" wheels instead of the 20" we wanted. To add insult to injury, they cost an extra $4300.
Lol same here, took an inventory Gravity that cost me $10k more which $3,500 was for the larger wheels.
Although don't regret taking an earlier delivery 🤣
 
Read some reviews of how the Hankooks on the 20/21" wheels handle rain and then watch Jonathan Benson's (of Tyre Reviews) in-depth testing of the the Pirelli tires on the 22/23" wheels. Then you'll understand why some of us might want the Pirellis on the Gravity over the Hankooks, even at the cost of some range loss.

Benson makes the point in many of his excellent reviews that wet performance is one of the most important safety factors in tire choices -- far more than dry performance -- but also one to which many buyers assign little weight.

I should clarify that Benson tested a generic version of the new Pirelli PZ5 (which he found to be the best non-track summer tire he's ever tested), not the same size as the LM1 version that comes on the Gravity with the 22/23" wheels. Ditto for the Hankooks which Tire Rack and others have reviewed.

However, I imagine the wet performance differences in the generic versions of the two tires will pretty much carry over to the Lucid variants.
 
I think yours was built close to when mine was given my original delivery date was supposed to be 9/29. I’ve only had the usual dumb software glitches aside from keycards not working to drive the car (they unlock fine) which makes me think I’ll need a new center console, but that’s really only one problem. Does your HUD (the replaced one) randomly make the display items brighter and dimmer in sort of a weird cycle sometimes? Mine does and I can’t tell if it’s trying to auto adjust based on exterior lighting conditions of it’s actually a defect.
My HUD also does this around dusk. (AZ, delivered 9/27). It seems stable at both days and night. Also in that dusk time frame I often need to dim it a bit manually or I get too much "backlight" where the whole HUD screen rectangle is slightly illuminated.
 
What temperature is it outside?
78 sounds very warm!
So usually I am used to doing 72. In my Subaru, 74 makes me sweat. But in the gravity, even 78 with fan speed at 7 takes a long time to warm up. Even then it's barely even warm.f eels more like 70 on a regular car during winter. Sometimes it randomly blows cold air for a few seconds in between and then goes back to warm air. I actually get more warmth from the seat heating.
 
Back
Top