Range on Gravity

In south Florida the issue is usually keeping a car interior cool. Our Air has never encountered heat it couldn't handle, even before we installed the canopy shades, but sometimes it meant the A/C was running at a pretty good clip.

The Gravity is on a different plane altogether. Its A/C gets the cabin so cold (and quickly, too) that we sometimes bump the thermostat up to 76º or even 78º just to keep from getting too chilled. I've almost been tempted to take out the canopy shades, but they do help with the glare we can get down here. In similar weather we usually keep our Honda Odyssey thermostat somewhere between 70-74º.
 
I should clarify that Benson tested a generic version of the new Pirelli PZ5 (which he found to be the best non-track summer tire he's ever tested), not the same size as the LM1 version that comes on the Gravity with the 22/23" wheels. Ditto for the Hankooks which Tire Rack and others have reviewed.

However, I imagine the wet performance differences in the generic versions of the two tires will pretty much carry over to the Lucid variants.
For the 20/21 vs 21/22 choice, I can't find a head to head tire comparison. But looking at separate reviews and trying to draw a conclusion, it seems like Hankooks are better in the snow, and the Michelins are better in the rain. But it seems like the Primacy Tour is pretty bad in the snow, while the Ion EVO is only mildly bad in the rain. As much as I'd like to take advantage of Lucid's tire tuning efforts, I'm wonder if those of us desiring a true four season tire will ultimately be better off with something like the Michelin CrossClimate 3 Sport.
 
. . . I'm wonder if those of us desiring a true four season tire will ultimately be better off with something like the Michelin CrossClimate 3 Sport.

Probably. Most all-seasons are suitable only for light snow. When I lived in New England (and even in Chicago, which was boringly flat) I always switched seasonally from summer to true winter tires. All-seasons just wouldn't cut it some days.
 
Probably. Most all-seasons are suitable only for light snow. When I lived in New England (and even in Chicago, which was boringly flat) I always switched seasonally from summer to true winter tires. All-seasons just wouldn't cut it some days.
I guess this just gives me an excuse to have a really heavy foot when I finally get my GGT order: the need to wear down the tire tread so I don't feel bad about buying new tires when there's still a lot of life in the current set.
 
So since the last charge cycle I haven't had any significant charge consumption issues while being parked and idle. I looked at my battery usage today and noticed something...

Since last charging session,
Total 32.6% used.
86.4 miles driven.
22% for Driving.
5.8% for Climate.
Elevation 2.3%.

Is this amount of usage normal for Climate control? Usually have seat warming on 1/3. Front and leg blowers blowing at fan speed 5 to 7 with target tem at 78.
You have a pretty conservative setting for climate, now I am convinced that the car has huge variability with sunshine load on HVAC to range.
 
Even in 50 degree temps I’m getting 3.02 mi/kwh on my DE with 20/21 inch wheels. Climate set to 70. Sometimes I’m idling in the car for 20-30 minutes doing work too which consumes energy so I don’t know why others are having worse efficiency.
 
For the 20/21 vs 21/22 choice, I can't find a head to head tire comparison. But looking at separate reviews and trying to draw a conclusion, it seems like Hankooks are better in the snow, and the Michelins are better in the rain. But it seems like the Primacy Tour is pretty bad in the snow, while the Ion EVO is only mildly bad in the rain. As much as I'd like to take advantage of Lucid's tire tuning efforts, I'm wonder if those of us desiring a true four season tire will ultimately be better off with something like the Michelin CrossClimate 3 Sport.
The Hankooks were great driving through a bad Nor’easter we just had in Rhode Island. No slippage or concerning stopping distance.
 
Even in 50 degree temps I’m getting 3.02 mi/kwh on my DE with 20/21 inch wheels. Climate set to 70. Sometimes I’m idling in the car for 20-30 minutes doing work too which consumes energy so I don’t know why others are having worse efficiency.
Highway, or overall?

Personally it doesn't matter to me what I get around home. Range is only an issue on long road trips (usually interstate speeds). I'm hoping to get at least 250 miles on a 10-80% leg. Be a tad disappointing if I can't get that at 75-80 MPH from a 450 EPA spec.
 
That was overall, Highway it was actually better at 70F, I haven’t put a ton of miles but an hour highway drive from Lucid studio to home the dynamic range was 3.38 miles/kwh. Now 65-70mph is gonna do a LOT better than 80-85mph, range loss at higher speeds is more logarithmic than linear.
 
That was overall, Highway it was actually better at 70F, I haven’t put a ton of miles but an hour highway drive from Lucid studio to home the dynamic range was 3.38 miles/kwh. Now 65-70mph is gonna do a LOT better than 80-85mph, range loss at higher speeds is more logarithmic than linear.
For sure. I'm just hoping Lucid's class-leading aerodynamics produce less range loss at high speed than other EVs. Super range is one of the main reasons I ordered a 450 mile Gravity. (Knowing of course it's a bigger vehicle and there's no realistic way to avoid at least *some* significant loss at 75 MPH.) Hoped it would be more like 10-15% loss (vs EPA) at high speed though, not 20-25% like some early reports are pointing towards. 😕
 
Probably. Most all-seasons are suitable only for light snow. When I lived in New England (and even in Chicago, which was boringly flat) I always switched seasonally from summer to true winter tires. All-seasons just wouldn't cut it some days.
In 2025 and beyond, it doesn’t really snow like it used to - at least not in the mid Atlantic or northeast. We might get one legit storm a year that requires winter tires, but then it gets warm again quickly.

This is one reason I went with A/S versus in 2016 on my P90D X I switched to winters regularly - then realized it didn’t really snow anymore. 😭
 
For sure. I'm just hoping Lucid's class-leading aerodynamics produce less range loss at high speed than other EVs. Super range is one of the main reasons I ordered a 450 mile Gravity. (Knowing of course it's a bigger vehicle and there's no realistic way to avoid at least *some* significant loss at 75 MPH.) Hoped it would be more like 10-15% loss (vs EPA) at high speed though, not 20-25% like some early reports are pointing towards. 😕
FWIW, I am finding mine performs in the 10-15% “loss” range and not close to 20% loss. In other words, better than I actually would have expected and than what I experience in our X and R1S. And that includes some enthusiastic driving.
 
Tom from State of charge published a new video. He got 345 on a 5-seater. However Lucid made him aware of few issues and picked up the vehicle next day.

1. RDU issue even though nothing was visible to Tom
2. Rear climate was on
3. Lucid said 6kw juice left even through th vehicle was reporting 0%.

 
FWIW, I am finding mine performs in the 10-15% “loss” range and not close to 20% loss. In other words, better than I actually would have expected and than what I experience in our X and R1S. And that includes some enthusiastic driving.
At 70+ MPH? That's good news. So far the highway tests I've seen have been worse.
 
Read some reviews of how the Hankooks on the 20/21" wheels handle rain and then watch Jonathan Benson's (of Tyre Reviews) in-depth testing of the the Pirelli tires on the 22/23" wheels. Then you'll understand why some of us might want the Pirellis on the Gravity over the Hankooks, even at the cost of some range loss.

Benson makes the point in many of his excellent reviews that wet performance is one of the most important safety factors in tire choices -- far more than dry performance -- but also one to which many buyers assign little weight.
Can't you simply replace the Hankooks on the small wheeks with Pirellis?
 
Can't you simply replace the Hankooks on the small wheeks with Pirellis?
Not in that size. The combination of staggered widths and staggered diameters and large wheel sizes means a lot of tire swaps are off limits.
 
On all these range figures, note that the manual says you will not get optimal range until you have 2,000 miles on your vehicle.
 
- buys huge wheels
- wonders why range is affected

Increasing tire size massively impacts range in a negative way on any EV. I do not understand why everyone is so horny for bigger tires, especially if they’re going to then complain about range.

Big wheels look better. You may not care about the appearance of your car, but the rest of us do.

He isn't complaining about the range reduction due to his wheel choice. There is something else happening. Maybe it is the way he is driving, or maybe there is something wrong with his Gravity.

I can say that I have 22 inch rims with big ass tires on my Rivian R1T, and my efficiency is almost as good as his. That isn't right. His Gravity should be much more efficient than my Rivian, especially with those puny wheels.
 
Back
Top