Quality Issues

Yeah I curbed the wheel once and my wife curbed it twice in the Tesla. I felt awful but Hertz didn’t notice and I wasn’t about to inform them. The side camera system in the Y was awful.
Yep, I trashed a brand new rim on the Model 3, it had 23 miles on it, was parking at a Starbucks and the fancy ADAS system had no idea there was a curb there and the camera made it look like I had lots of room. Nope. I don’t think Hertz cares, they didn’t even wash the car and it still had glass tape on on the windshield and glass roof, white vinyl covers on the door handles and white grease pencil on the left passenger window. I actually thought the car had been in an accident as it looked like something you’d see from a body shop after repair before they’d cleaned it, but it was a brand new never driven Tesla, so Tesla delivered it that way! Funny enough it was cheaper than many other cars to rent, $62 a day.

Yeah you definitely had some early headaches, were very patient, glad it’s sorted out enough now to not be frustrating.

Yeah . . . now it's the deteriorating CCS charging network -- especially Electrify America -- that is the source of frustration.

Yeah . . . now it's the deteriorating CCS charging network -- especially Electrify America -- that is the source of frustration.
I’m very much hoping all these new model chargers they are installing will help.

Bobby I read your post and immediately asked my home-for-solstice son " do I want Car Play? ".

"Yes." he says, " You want that."

So... I want that.
Before I retired, my solution to a computer issue was to find the youngest person in the office and ask that person for help. Worked almost every time.

I personally appreciate your feedback. I have not visited this community for a while since I decided to pass on my reservation after seeing too many complaints. I came back after receiving an email from Lucid to finalize my order😌.
Appreciate your comments.
I now had my Lucid AGT for 3 months. Over the past 3 months, I only logged ~1,600 miles. As I noted in my prior posting, Lucid had to drop the battery and replace the Wunderbox to rectify a charging problem. After the Wunderbox replacement, I haven't experienced any further issues with charging.
EA charging continues to be a problem. Most of the EA charger in my area (Arizona) are broken or they simply don't recognize the Lucid. I registered several complaints and had my PnC certificate re-registered. A Lucid "Customer Voice Advocate" DM'ed me after seeing my postings on this forum and promised to connect me to the appropriate people at Lucid to address the issue. That was 7 weeks ago. No contact with Lucid yet.

Like many other users, there are many "SW issues". I personally experienced many of the same problems posted by other owners. I won’t repeat. What we need to focus on is not a specific problem (e.g., backup camera and garage door, slow navigation, etc.) but the root cause. If you want to read my opinion on this subject, you can read my posting RE: “Bugs and System Validation” (BS8899).

After 3 months of ownership, I've only pout 1,600 miles on the car. I took it on one road trip (Phoenix to Sedona, ~270 miles round-trip). The Pilot Panel went out twice on this road trip and the car had to be rebooted remotely by Lucid. It was frustrating and dampened my desire to take the car on a long road trip.

So, what’s my opinion of the Lucid overall?

• I think the electro-mechanical design is good. It is fun to drive when things work.
  • The computer system and software still need a lot of work to get healthy.

There are a lot of “Lucid Enthusiast” in this forum. They are eternal optimists. The perpetual arguments seem to be:

• “Lucid has improved a lot since UX 1.0.” Maybe that’s true, but it still sucks!
  • “It is better than Tesla in its early days”. So what?! Frankly, that is a non-sense excuse…Tesla’s clunky SW was 10 years ago (and some argue, still is)! Do we want Lucid to be like Tesla?!
  • “Most/all of the SW bugs will be fixed with OTA”. Many minor bugs are likely to be fixed with OTA. However, as others observed, as old bugs are fixed, new (previously not present) bugs are emerging. This is a tell-tale sign of the lack of a holistic approach to system design and system validation. I am not familiar with the Lucid computing architecture to offer an opinion. My experience tells me that there are going to be some performance/critical-path bugs that might not be fixable without some performance impact or needing both HW and SW fixes. Lucid better get with it and deal with the mechanical-computer as a system.

For Lucid to succeed in the long term, they must bear down to address the total SYSTEM issue. Just having a great mechanical design (which Lucid does) paired with a sub-par computer/SW system is not the recipe to success.

Can Lucid get there? I hope so….many companies have learned this same lesson…. but it will require a major mindset change at Lucid. The culture change needs to come from the top.

Back