Pure Test Drive by a GT Owner

Adnillien

Staff Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
The Scottsdale studio was nice enough to set me up with a Pure test drive on March 17. Shout out to Jason for setting it up and Harsha for making it fun! The entire team and the Scottsdale studio is great.

I am not a car expert but I am a Lucid fan and love my GT. I reserved a Pure the day before legacy pricing ended. Jason was assigned as my SA and I asked him to let me know when they had a Pure for test drives which he did the day after the car came in. The test drive car is the Derek Jenkins spec, Fathom Blue, Alcantara headliner and 19” wheels. For comparison, my GT has 21” wheels. Hence, some of the differences in handling are related to the wheels rather any suspension or power differences.

The Fathom blue is spectacular taking on different looks in different lighting like some of the other Lucid colors. The metal roof looks great as does the single color for roof and body. It is a different look, maybe more conventional than the contrast of the glass with platinum rails. I like both looks. The finish between the front and rear windows to the metal roof is done well. The overall aesthetics are well done, the metal roof looks like it belongs on the Lucid Air.

I started in back seats since I have not sat in a Lucid with the smaller battery. The extra foot garage space makes a big difference. My GT back seats are comfortable, but the extra foot room is even better. I did not notice any headroom difference between the metal roof and glass roof. For reference, I am 6’ tall with short legs. I would probably miss the glass roof more from the backseat than driver’s seat since it is hard to look up while driving but easy as a rear seat passenger. Since I rarely sit in the back seat of my own car, this would not be a factor in my buying decision. From the front seat, the windshield comes further back in the Pure than on most other cars giving the front seats a nice open feel. It’s not as open as the glass roof but still very nice.

The interior materials in the Pure are excellent. The Purluxe leather feels and looks great, it may even be softer than real leather. The dash materials feel good and also feel durable. I did miss the thigh extension on the front seats. While there are fewer seat adjustments than the GT, I had no difficulty adjusting the seats to a comfortable position. Maybe not as good as the GT, but definitely more comfortable than most other cars.

Getting into the driver’s seat, I immediately felt at home. It felt like my car in a different color. So much so that I made the rooky mistake of trying to use the soft-close doors. Harsha knew why the car would not go into reverse before I figured it out. My door was still open. As the Pure Owners here have said, the regular close is not difficult and provides a solid feel and sound. The Pure definitely feels like a luxury car.

Since it is spring break, the mall traffic was heavy so getting out to a nice open road (Hayden North bound for locals) took a few minutes. I started in swift mode with high regen since that is how I drive my GT most of the time. The lighter weight from the smaller battery was noticeable and gave the Pure a maneuvering advantage even with less power. I had no difficulty moving ahead of other cars and getting the instant acceleration that I love. As we pulled up to the first position at a red light, I switched to Sprint mode. Harsha said I could launch if I wanted to but I elected to just floor it at the green light. I was impressed, more power and acceleration than I expected and more than needed for normal driving.

Next up, I threw it around a 90 degree corner at a “fun” speed, it felt a bit sloppy with a hint of a slide. Something that I have never felt in my GT. I think that this was due to the 19” all season tires versus my 21” summer tires rather than any suspension difference. Aside from my Air GT, the Pure handled the corner better than any car other car I have owned. I got a second opportunity to punch it from a stop, this time on smooth concrete rather than asphalt, I was able to break traction on the rear wheels for a split second before the traction control engaged. Again, I am thinking my 21” summer tires would have been better. It demonstrates that the Pure has plenty of power for ordinary driving.

Accelerating on the Freeway felt just like my GT until getting past 60 mph. At that point it felt like the GT would still be pulling harder. In the zero to 60 range, there is very little difference between the Pure and GT. The Pure still had plenty of power to quickly hit 95. There are few people that would find the performance of the Pure lacking. Settling in at 85 mph, the Pure was noticeably quieter than my GT. I think mostly due to road noise, the 19” wheels seem quieter. There is also slightly less wind noise from the insulated metal roof versus glass.

Overall I really enjoyed the Pure and highly recommend it. Now I just need to convince my wife to sell her Infiniti so we can become a two Lucid family.

I could hate you. Great review. Makes me want to get the Pure as I originally planned. My only concern is the passing at high speeds on sharp up hills (OP: my example is Carefree Highway from I-17 to Quintero and back). You mention that after 0-60 it doesn't do as well. How would it do on my example (coming back from golf at Quintero if I see a guy pulling a trailer starting up the hill I want to get past him before we get back to one lane in each direction driving). It is at high speed acceleration that many BEVs ultimately crap out.

[sorry to non Arizona members; but the OP is from Scottsdale area so he might be able to deal with my example better than just a general question]

Now that I am in recovery mode from my hip replacement, I love how easy it is to get in and out of the GV60. But in a few months the new hip will feel like a new OEM hip and climbing down and into the Lucid won't be such an issue.

I could hate you. Great review. Makes me want to get the Pure as I originally planned. My only concern is the passing at high speeds on sharp up hills (OP: my example is Carefree Highway from I-17 to Quintero and back). You mention that after 0-60 it doesn't do as well. How would it do on my example (coming back from golf at Quintero if I see a guy pulling a trailer starting up the hill I want to get past him before we get back to one lane in each direction driving). It is at high speed acceleration that many BEVs ultimately crap out.

[sorry to non Arizona members; but the OP is from Scottsdale area so he might be able to deal with my example better than just a general question]

Now that I am in recovery mode from my hip replacement, I love how easy it is to get in and out of the GV60. But in a few months the new hip will feel like a new OEM hip and climbing down and into the Lucid won't be such an issue.
I hate to recommend selling the GV60 but I did pass one on Scottsdale road the other day and immediately thought of you.

The Pure does not do as well as the GT past 60 bit it is no wimp either. You could pass that hypothetical trailer going uphill on Carefree Highway in a few hundred feet in the Pure, no problem just "Pure" fun.

Take a test drive when you hip is feeling better, you will enjoy.

I hate to recommend selling the GV60 but I did pass one on Scottsdale road the other day and immediately thought of you.

The Pure does not do as well as the GT past 60 bit it is no wimp either. You could pass that hypothetical trailer going uphill on Carefree Highway in a few hundred feet in the Pure, no problem just "Pure" fun.

You probably passed me. Black. I also crossed paths with a Lucid Air just east of Butterfields on the circumferential road from Shea to Scottsdale Rd heading North yesterday (I was going home).

By the way...while I do love the GV60 Performance, the Genesis GV60 forum is filled with complaints about service (theoretically white glove treatment where they come to you an trade a loaner for your car so they can work in your car). My Genesis dealer does look pretty good from reviews but bad customer service would definitely generate a switch. By then, not only would my hip be feeling better (it felt good two days after the operation but my surgeon wants me to take it easy for the first 8 weeks to let the bones grow) but Lucid will have had time to further improve its software. Living in North Scottsdale I am fortunate that the Scottsdale service center is excellent and not that far from my house.

Thanks for a great and well-written review. It warms my heart as I wait for my white RWD Pure. I have been tempted to upgrade to GT, but I will be patient. I think the RWD Pure will prove to be a better driver's car than expected. At least, I am hoping so. Thanks

Thanks for a great and well-written review. It warms my heart as I wait for my white RWD Pure. I have been tempted to upgrade to GT, but I will be patient. I think the RWD Pure will prove to be a better driver's car than expected. At least, I am hoping so. Thanks
That's the way it turned out with some other EVs, like the BMW i4.

The Scottsdale studio was nice enough to set me up with a Pure test drive ...
This is all great to hear coming from a GT owner. I expect the RWD Pure on the larger wheels to be a lot of fun on twisty roads. I love my GT's power but that "AWD feeling" is not my favorite when pushing through bends.

This is all great to hear coming from a GT owner. I expect the RWD Pure on the larger wheels to be a lot of fun on twisty roads. I love my GT's power but that "AWD feeling" is not my favorite when pushing through bends.
I agree on the larger wheels. Living in AZ, I would put the 20" wheels on either the Pure or the Touring.

Great to hear all of this, did you find anything lacking with the seats? That's another of my hangups, since there are much fewer adjustments there for them.

Tires/wheels make a huge difference, many years ago, I had a BMW 3 series for which I had swapped out the stock 17" all seasons for 19" w/ michelin cups. The difference was staggering. Before I sold the car I swapped the wheels back and I actually had to pull over and check nothing was loose, it felt that bad. Also, looking back at 18s and 19s being big makes me chuckle with where we are now, lol!

Next up, I threw it around a 90 degree corner at a “fun” speed, it felt a bit sloppy with a hint of a slide. Something that I have never felt in my GT. I think that this was due to the 19” all season tires versus my 21” summer tires rather than any suspension difference.
I have both the 19” and 21” on my DE, and I agree with this; we are spoiled by our 21” summer tires, and the 19” feels just ever so sloppier. Still fantastic, but definitely not quite as sticky as the 21”.

I have both the 19” and 21” on my DE, and I agree with this; we are spoiled by our 21” summer tires, and the 19” feels just ever so sloppier. Still fantastic, but definitely not quite as sticky as the 21”.
I'm still tempted to swap my 19's for 20's for that reason, and also to have Michelin tires.

I'm still tempted to swap my 19's for 20's for that reason, and also to have Michelin tires.
I have the 20's on my AT. I think the 20' looks good on the Air. It rides well and handle well. When I was finalizing the specification of my AT, I was on the fence whether I wanted to go with the 19' or 20'. Spoken to the DA on prior to my car going into production, he said he would get the 20' Now that I have my AT with 20', I made a right choice going with the 20'.

I have the 20's on my AT. I think the 20' looks good on the Air. It rides well and handle well. When I was finalizing the specification of my AT, I was on the fence whether I wanted to go with the 19' or 20'. Spoken to the DA on prior to my car going into production, he said he would get the 20' Now that I have my AT with 20', I made a right choice going with the 20'.
I may have to get the 20'. smh, so many choices. white or fathom blue

I may have to get the 20'. smh, so many choices. white or fathom blue
While waiting for my car to finish up detailing at Millbrae, my SA asked my wife and I if we want to see the Pure in Fathom Blue. They have one waiting for delivery. So my SA took us to see the Pure in Fathom Blue. In low light condition such as in door, Fathom Blue looks almost like the Cosmic Silver. If the car is outside in bright sun light, it will look blue.

@Adnillien, thank you for a terrific review. You made me want to test drive Pure as GT owner. (if Dallas Studio has one to test drive) We still have a Pure RWD order, it got temporary replaced by PS2. I have no doubt Lucid will have commitment to continue to add content to its UI and UX down the road.

The Scottsdale studio was nice enough to set me up with a Pure test drive on March 17. Shout out to Jason for setting it up and Harsha for making it fun! The entire team and the Scottsdale studio is great.

I am not a car expert but I am a Lucid fan and love my GT. I reserved a Pure the day before legacy pricing ended. Jason was assigned as my SA and I asked him to let me know when they had a Pure for test drives which he did the day after the car came in. The test drive car is the Derek Jenkins spec, Fathom Blue, Alcantara headliner and 19” wheels. For comparison, my GT has 21” wheels. Hence, some of the differences in handling are related to the wheels rather any suspension or power differences.

The Fathom blue is spectacular taking on different looks in different lighting like some of the other Lucid colors. The metal roof looks great as does the single color for roof and body. It is a different look, maybe more conventional than the contrast of the glass with platinum rails. I like both looks. The finish between the front and rear windows to the metal roof is done well. The overall aesthetics are well done, the metal roof looks like it belongs on the Lucid Air.

I started in back seats since I have not sat in a Lucid with the smaller battery. The extra foot garage space makes a big difference. My GT back seats are comfortable, but the extra foot room is even better. I did not notice any headroom difference between the metal roof and glass roof. For reference, I am 6’ tall with short legs. I would probably miss the glass roof more from the backseat than driver’s seat since it is hard to look up while driving but easy as a rear seat passenger. Since I rarely sit in the back seat of my own car, this would not be a factor in my buying decision. From the front seat, the windshield comes further back in the Pure than on most other cars giving the front seats a nice open feel. It’s not as open as the glass roof but still very nice.

The interior materials in the Pure are excellent. The Purluxe leather feels and looks great, it may even be softer than real leather. The dash materials feel good and also feel durable. I did miss the thigh extension on the front seats. While there are fewer seat adjustments than the GT, I had no difficulty adjusting the seats to a comfortable position. Maybe not as good as the GT, but definitely more comfortable than most other cars.

Getting into the driver’s seat, I immediately felt at home. It felt like my car in a different color. So much so that I made the rooky mistake of trying to use the soft-close doors. Harsha knew why the car would not go into reverse before I figured it out. My door was still open. As the Pure Owners here have said, the regular close is not difficult and provides a solid feel and sound. The Pure definitely feels like a luxury car.

Since it is spring break, the mall traffic was heavy so getting out to a nice open road (Hayden North bound for locals) took a few minutes. I started in swift mode with high regen since that is how I drive my GT most of the time. The lighter weight from the smaller battery was noticeable and gave the Pure a maneuvering advantage even with less power. I had no difficulty moving ahead of other cars and getting the instant acceleration that I love. As we pulled up to the first position at a red light, I switched to Sprint mode. Harsha said I could launch if I wanted to but I elected to just floor it at the green light. I was impressed, more power and acceleration than I expected and more than needed for normal driving.

Next up, I threw it around a 90 degree corner at a “fun” speed, it felt a bit sloppy with a hint of a slide. Something that I have never felt in my GT. I think that this was due to the 19” all season tires versus my 21” summer tires rather than any suspension difference. Aside from my Air GT, the Pure handled the corner better than any car other car I have owned. I got a second opportunity to punch it from a stop, this time on smooth concrete rather than asphalt, I was able to break traction on the rear wheels for a split second before the traction control engaged. Again, I am thinking my 21” summer tires would have been better. It demonstrates that the Pure has plenty of power for ordinary driving.

Accelerating on the Freeway felt just like my GT until getting past 60 mph. At that point it felt like the GT would still be pulling harder. In the zero to 60 range, there is very little difference between the Pure and GT. The Pure still had plenty of power to quickly hit 95. There are few people that would find the performance of the Pure lacking. Settling in at 85 mph, the Pure was noticeably quieter than my GT. I think mostly due to road noise, the 19” wheels seem quieter. There is also slightly less wind noise from the insulated metal roof versus glass.

Overall I really enjoyed the Pure and highly recommend it. Now I just need to convince my wife to sell her Infiniti so we can become a two Lucid family.
Great review! I feel my Touring has more power than I ever need. I never use Swift or Sprint mode. The power of the Pure will be enough for 99% of the population.

Back