Proximity lock not working if you have a slow wife

Bdr100

Active Member

Joined
Apr 15, 2025
Messages
910
Reaction score
1,631
Cars
GGT, Merc E450 Conv
I know some owners here have mentioned some occasions where their Gravity did not auto-lock upon walking away when they had proximity lock/unlock set in their vehicle. This morning it was raining and so when we got to gym, I jumped out and ran to gym door. My wife, who is known to take her sweet time exiting the car, had an umbrella and so was slow to grab and open the umbrella and did not close the door until I was already at gym door about 40 ft. from car. Usually the car will auto shut down and lock when I (with the fob) am about 10-15 away from car. I waited to see if it would lock, and it did not, so I manually hit lock button on fob.

After getting home, I did a test by leaving car door open and going into house and leaving fob well away from car. I then went back and closed the door. The Gravity then stayed on, playing music with lights on and unlocked for about 15 minutes before it finally shut down and locked.

On my ICE Mercedes, as long as my wife has opened her door, I can close my door and hit lock button on handle to lock the car and walk away. Once wife finally closes her door, car will be locked.

I am sure that with Gravity, when fob is detected beyond 10-15 range, it triggers car to shut down/lock, but if door is still open, than can’t happen. I guess a pro case for this functionality would be where you arrive home or somewhere and driver walks away with fob but other passengers need to do some unloading/loading etc., so they have a 15 minute window to open close doors, trunk and frunk.

So if you park in a somewhat sketchy area and have a slow spouse, partner, child, be sure to double check that your car has auto-locked before walking away.
 
What is it with women and destinations? My wife always seems surprised and unready when we arrive at our planned destination--regardless of whether we've been driving for five minutes or five hours. I stand there waiting patiently (or not) while she does whatever elaborate pre-exit ritual she deems necessary.
 
What is it with women and destinations? My wife always seems surprised and unready when we arrive at our planned destination--regardless of whether we've been driving for five minutes or five hours. I stand there waiting patiently (or not) while she does whatever elaborate pre-exit ritual she deems necessary.
My wife has been taking her own sweet time for over 40 years. Started when she was two hours late for our wedding. 😀

She likes to make an entrance and an exit. I just hold the door and stand back. She's still worth the wait.
 
I locked the door…but wife didn’t shut it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2512.webp
    IMG_2512.webp
    329.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2506.webp
    IMG_2506.webp
    64.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2505.webp
    IMG_2505.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 155
I know some owners here have mentioned some occasions where their Gravity did not auto-lock upon walking away when they had proximity lock/unlock set in their vehicle. This morning it was raining and so when we got to gym, I jumped out and ran to gym door. My wife, who is known to take her sweet time exiting the car, had an umbrella and so was slow to grab and open the umbrella and did not close the door until I was already at gym door about 40 ft. from car. Usually the car will auto shut down and lock when I (with the fob) am about 10-15 away from car. I waited to see if it would lock, and it did not, so I manually hit lock button on fob.

After getting home, I did a test by leaving car door open and going into house and leaving fob well away from car. I then went back and closed the door. The Gravity then stayed on, playing music with lights on and unlocked for about 15 minutes before it finally shut down and locked.

On my ICE Mercedes, as long as my wife has opened her door, I can close my door and hit lock button on handle to lock the car and walk away. Once wife finally closes her door, car will be locked.

I am sure that with Gravity, when fob is detected beyond 10-15 range, it triggers car to shut down/lock, but if door is still open, than can’t happen. I guess a pro case for this functionality would be where you arrive home or somewhere and driver walks away with fob but other passengers need to do some unloading/loading etc., so they have a 15 minute window to open close doors, trunk and frunk.

So if you park in a somewhat sketchy area and have a slow spouse, partner, child, be sure to double check that your car has auto-locked before walking away.
Followup on the test of leaving door open, taking fob inside and then returning to close door. When I noticed car powered down and door handles retracted, I assumed that it had re-locked. But a couple hours later I went back out to get something out of the trunk and hit the trunk release button and when it opened, I realized that I did not have the fob with me. Went around side to driver door and pushed retracted handle and all the handles popped out and car powered up.

So in another thread, there had been some discussions about leaving car unlocked at home in garage and if that would require keeping it powered up. This was particularly in line with hopes for upcoming geofenced locking to keep it from auto-locking at your house. It appears that is not an issue and after a 15 minute power up state, car will power down, retract handles but not lock and it will still be able to access at home without fob.
 
It's not that wives are slow, it's that Gravity's rear trunk closing is slow AND that the car won't lock when the last door is closed. All doors have to be closed when you lock the car either manaully or by walking away with the fob.

And today, I could not unlock nor open the trunk of my locked Gravity with my cell phone, even when I pushed on the driver's door handle or trunk release button to wake the car up first.

Annoying, simply annoying.
 
It's not that wives are slow, it's that Gravity's rear trunk closing is slow AND that the car won't lock when the last door is closed. All doors have to be closed when you lock the car either manaully or by walking away with the fob.

And today, I could not unlock nor open the trunk of my locked Gravity with my cell phone, even when I pushed on the driver's door handle or trunk release button to wake the car up first.

Annoying, simply annoying.
Gravity does not have phone as a key yet. Your cell phone cannot work as a key.

If you mean the app, make sure you have the latest; they just updated it today or yesterday. And keep in mind that actions you take through the app require both your phone and the car to have cellular service.

Once PAAK is out, that won’t be necessary.
 
So if you park in a somewhat sketchy area and have a slow spouse, partner, child, be sure to double check that your car has auto-locked before walking away.

That way the muggers will only get your slow spouse and not the car too.....
 
I miss PAAK just a tiny bit. But have just been using the fob the old timey way with the buttons on the fob; i.e. have proximity off. Works fine, no issues.

With all the issues folks brought up about the fob and proximity, that just seemed like a great way to avoid a lot of hassle. PAAK and proximity with the fob is great if it works, but kind of crummy if it doesn't. I'm just grateful my thumbs are still strong enough to manhandle those fob buttons. Well, for that and many other things--including the Gravity's acceleration!
 
Gravity does not have phone as a key yet. Your cell phone cannot work as a key.

If you mean the app, make sure you have the latest; they just updated it today or yesterday. And keep in mind that actions you take through the app require both your phone and the car to have cellular service.

Once PAAK is out, that won’t be necessary.
App, both car & phone had both WiFi and cellular. App did not give any errors, car just refused to respond.

I’ll try new app tomorrow, but that shouldn’t be the problem
 
I think it’s camera based actually.

I can leave my phone on the shelf in my garage and if I walk by the car, it will lock and unlock every time. This tells me it’s only checking phone proximity to a point and then relies on camera.
 
I think it’s camera based actually.

I can leave my phone on the shelf in my garage and if I walk by the car, it will lock and unlock every time. This tells me it’s only checking phone proximity to a point and then relies on camera.
Actually, I'd suspect the car doesn't fully go to sleep in that case.
 
App, both car & phone had both WiFi and cellular. App did not give any errors, car just refused to respond.

I’ll try new app tomorrow, but that shouldn’t be the problem
Ok, I tried it this morning, and both unlock and then trunk open worked in reasonable time. Maybe it was the app, maybe the car had gotten into a deeper sleep. But, for now it looks to be good.
 
Back
Top