Profile location?

Just curious, what would be the potential risk of stating your general area or city?

Just curious, what would be the potential risk of stating your general area or city?
Some people are just extra careful or maybe they live in a town with a population of 5!

If somebody got your name, they could narrow it to people in your town instead of the whole US for example.

Easier to home in on someone using clustrmaps.com or similar.

None that I can think of.
I think it's ok, too.
Our digital footprint is much larger than we're aware, and if someone wants to learn more about us, no way to stop them.
Fun fact: Once upon a time, I was one the earliest victims of identity theft. As a result, I testified in the Senate and Joe Biden happened to be the Chair of that subcommittee at the time. He subsequently sent me a thank-you note.
This was many, many moons ago, and I occasionally would stumble onto his letter when searching for other stuff in my file cabinet.
Yet when he was elected Pres, I could never locate his letter again.
Weird.

I think it's ok, too.
Our digital footprint is much larger than we're aware, and if someone wants to learn more about us, no way to stop them.
Fun fact: Once upon a time, I was one the earliest victims of identity theft. As a result, I testified in the Senate and Joe Biden happened to be the Chair of that subcommittee at the time. He subsequently sent me a thank-you note.
This was many, many moons ago, and I occasionally would stumble onto his letter when searching for other stuff in my file cabinet.
Yet when he was elected Pres, I could never locate his letter again.
Weird.
“This letter will self-destruct in…”

Somebody could open up a Los Gatos phone book, look up Mr Airplur, and try to steal your Lucid. Fortunately, there are probably far too many Mr Airplurs in the Los Gatos phone book for you to be at risk, but you can see how it might be a problem for some.

If everyone here ACTUALLY knew the amount of information about themselves ALREADY on the dark web, you would have a panic attack. @borski can tell ya. Shit, i did a search and found information on every home address I have had since college. I am more worried about my 23&Me account being hacked and people learn that I an alien.

Kidding aside, there are certain circumstances where privacy is essential. I have worked with prosecutors that helped abuse victims and people with immunity disappear: new name, new SS#, new everything. We have had rescue collies from such an abuse victim: even her dogs names and papers were changed to prevent any paper trail to her ex.

And I am not worried at all about someone stealing my Lucid. Damn, sometimes I have a hell of a time just figuring out how to open it!

Back