Potential GT buyer from Bay Area

Hi everybody,

I went and test drove a GT out of Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose yesterday. The car was a black pre-production with Santa Monica Cruz interior and it was on 19s. The test drive route was somewhat uninteresting; just west on 280 to Magdalena Avenue and back to WVF. Most of this route has 280 freshly paved with wonderful asphalt so it was hard to judge the quality of the ride and road noise and such.

Still the car is obviously fun to drive and everything inside looked nice and pretty. Aside from adjusting the mirrors and the steering wheel I didn't get much of a chance to play with the software and I don't know what version of the OS was installed in the car.

The backseat has an enormous amount of space compared to my current car, a BMW M2, where it's almost completely useless. I probably have use for a back seat once or twice a year so this is not a huge concern for me but it's nice to have I guess.

Even though it seems like a lot of you are from the Bay Area this is the first time I've seen a Lucid in real life and not just at the store. It's a great looking car for sure.

Me personally though, I'm not buying a car without CarPlay so until I have definite confirmation of this feature and not just a promise from some guy, I'm going to wait.

Last edited:
I guess it would be hard to drive and enjoy the acceleration without carplay.

What does carplay or Android Auto do that makes it such a requirement for some? I have actually never used either.

What does carplay or Android Auto do that makes it such a requirement for some? I have actually never used either.
Just convenient little things for me. Like the car will resume the music I was listening to in my house. Or if I look up the route to something on my computer the car will be ready to navigate to that destination when I get in it. Necessary? No, but it can be pretty convenient and just nice to tie the car into the network of all your other stuff. I can totally understand how people would not care about it but for me it's quite useful.

Historically car makers have not necessarily been good at making software so it used to be a huge deal not having to deal with their terrible interface for navigation for instance. Nowadays many cars come with excellent software but with age my own mental software is becoming less flexible so I still want CarPlay. :D

Last edited:
Just convenient little things for me. Like the car will resume the music I was listening to in my house. Or if I look up the route to something on my computer the car will be ready to navigate to that destination when I get in it. Necessary? No, but it can be pretty convenient and just nice to tie the car into the network of all your other stuff. I can totally understand how people would not care about it but for me it's quite useful.

Historically car makers have not necessarily been good at making software so it used to be a huge deal not having to deal with their terrible interface for navigation for instance. Nowadays many cars come with excellent software but with age my own mental software is becoming less flexible so I still want CarPlay. :D
I get it, and want the CarPlay as well. But I know it is coming and will be willing to drive my car a while before it is added. Actually, it may very well be on the car by the time I actually get it delivered. I would suggest placing a fully refundable deposit on it if you like the car but wait to confirm the order until CarPlay is available.

Hi everybody,

I went and test drove a GT out of Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose yesterday. The car was a black pre-production with Santa Monica interior and it was on 19s. The test drive route was somewhat uninteresting; just west on 280 to Magdalena Avenue and back to WVF. Most of this route has 280 freshly paved with wonderful asphalt so it was hard to judge the quality of the ride and road noise and such.

Still the car is obviously fun to drive and everything inside looked nice and pretty. Aside from adjusting the mirrors and the steering wheel I didn't get much of a chance to play with the software and I don't know what version of the OS was installed in the car.

The backseat has an enormous amount of space compared to my current car, a BMW M2, where it's almost completely useless. I probably have use for a back seat once or twice a year so this is not a huge concern for me but it's nice to have I guess.

Even though it seems like a lot of you are from the Bay Area this is the first time I've seen a Lucid in real life and not just at the store. It's a great looking car for sure.

Me personally though, I'm not buying a car without CarPlay so until I have definite confirmation of this feature and not just a promise from some guy, I'm going to wait.
Interesting they didn't take you to Foothill and up into Steven's creek. Was your test drive running late? I asked to go Magdalena as it is my regular route and I don't care about winding roads. The 280 is still a nightmare road in San Jose, so you do get some crappy roads, which were so much smoother and quieter than my Model S.

Interesting they didn't take you to Foothill and up into Steven's creek. Was your test drive running late? I asked to go Magdalena as it is my regular route and I don't care about winding roads. The 280 is still a nightmare road in San Jose, so you do get some crappy roads, which were so much smoother and quieter than my Model S.
Yeah, with meeting the guy at the studio, talking a bit and walking out to the valet area the car was just pulling up from the previous test driver. My appointment was at 3pm so potentially I could have accumulated all the potential delays of the entire day. Still that short trip was enough to see that the car is excellent to drive.

And you're right about 280 I just realized. It's not freshly paved until after Wolfe or somewhere around there. So I guess the car is smooth and quiet enough that I didn't even notice I driving on a bad road.

I get it, and want the CarPlay as well. But I know it is coming and will be willing to drive my car a while before it is added. Actually, it may very well be on the car by the time I actually get it delivered. I would suggest placing a fully refundable deposit on it if you like the car but wait to confirm the order until CarPlay is available.
I put down a small deposit a while ago and as I understood the Studio Advisor this is sufficient to stay in line so to speak.

I am of the older generation where driving represented the freedom to get away from home and explore places I had never seen. Kind of man and machine going into the unknown, so I rarely use any of the new electronics and computer driven accessories. For me it is all about the drive. On my SL550’s I drop the top, put the transmission into S+ and hit the road. No do dads for me. Also the reason I rebuild and drive older autos that never had any frills.

Back