Planning trip from Chicago to Aldie Virginia

...Whenever possible, try to avoid having to charge past an 80% SOC. EA slows down SO much by then that you don't want to do it unless you have to....
It's the car's charging curve that limits charging speed at high state of charge, not EA. Any charging station will do this (and any EV), because that's what the car is asking for.

I did fairly well in Ohio, though I went through Columbus. Along the way there were several EA and EVGo stations that I could have stopped it. They were for the most part at Walmarts. In Pennsylvania, they tended to be at a lot of Sheetz gas stations. Sheetz usually have a convenience store with cooked to order foods like pizza, burgers et al, so they are nice to stop at for a semi-long charge.
Thank you! I will keep in mind.

Will you be traveling alone? One thing to watch out for... Lucid navigation lets you do all kinds of things while the car is moving, so it's easy to get distracted. Playing with the app on the fly is a lot safer when you have someone with you to enter changes. Otherwise, try to do it when stopped.

With regard to possibly adding a proposed third EA stop along the route... I like to put that proposed third EA stop on a phone app, so I have a reminder of where it is. As I am around 20 miles from it, I take note of what Lucid Navigation says is the distance to its next planned stop, and the remaining range estimate at that stop. Say for the sake of argument that the next stop is 125 miles away, with an estimated 40 miles remaining. That would be too tight for me, so I would follow my phone app to the EA stop just down the road. Remember that, in such a case, you will have to manually start preconditioning the battery. When you do make that stop, the Lucid app will likely change your remaining EA stops, so bear that in mind.

My hints for a happier trip with less range anxiety. Whenever possible, try to avoid having to charge past an 80% SOC. EA slows down SO much by then that you don't want to do it unless you have to. Similarly, try to arrive at a charger with no less than a 20% SOC. Also, try to plan EA stops along the more rural parts of the route. Stops in metro areas are far more likely to be crowded, while the ones just off the highway in a rural area almost always have multiple empty spots. Bear in mind that, overall, you'll likely find that three stops adding 50% at each will take less total time than two stops adding 75% at each.

Hope this helps...
For sure it helps, I will keep in mind. Thanks :)

My hints for a happier trip with less range anxiety. Whenever possible, try to avoid having to charge past an 80% SOC. EA slows down SO much by then that you don't want to do it unless you have to. Similarly, try to arrive at a charger with no less than a 20% SOC. Also, try to plan EA stops along the more rural parts of the route. Stops in metro areas are far more likely to be crowded, while the ones just off the highway in a rural area almost always have multiple empty spots. Bear in mind that, overall, you'll likely find that three stops adding 50% at each will take less total time than two stops adding 75% at each.

Hope this helps...
all EVs will taper the charge speed once hitting 80% soc or so.
your assertion to not be below 20% SOC is off base, the lower the SOC the fast the charging can be. as long as you are confident that the place you will be charging at is reliable there is nothing bad about going way below 20%.
letting the car sit for a while below 20% is what should be avoided.

Last edited:
all EVs will taper the charge speed once hitting 80% soc or so.
your assertion to not be below 20% SOC is off base, the lower the SOC the fast the charging can be. as long as you are confident that the place you will be charging at is reliable there is nothing bad about going way below 20%.
letting the car sit for a while below 20% is what should be avoided.

No disagreements there. DeaneG also pointed out my poor wording, which suggested that the charging slow-down was an EA problem, when it's just the nature of EV charging curves. As for the minimum 20% SOC, I again should have made my wording clear that I was speaking to a first time road-tripper. It takes a while to get comfortable with range projections, as even the inbuilt navigation can sometimes throw one heck of a surprise on its 'remaining range at the next stop' calculation. I also go down well below 20% on familiar routes in familiar conditions, but until I got comfortable with road-tripping, I had a lot less anxiety just targeting 20%.

No disagreements there. DeaneG also pointed out my poor wording, which suggested that the charging slow-down was an EA problem, when it's just the nature of EV charging curves. As for the minimum 20% SOC, I again should have made my wording clear that I was speaking to a first time road-tripper. It takes a while to get comfortable with range projections, as even the inbuilt navigation can sometimes throw one heck of a surprise on its 'remaining range at the next stop' calculation. I also go down well below 20% on familiar routes in familiar conditions, but until I got comfortable with road-tripping, I had a lot less anxiety just targeting 20%.

I did the exact same thing when I first started and will with any new EV. I need to gain that confidence that the percentage is accurate for the distance given and it won't suddenly drop 10% for no reason when I'm too far from the charger I left to get back to it and not far enough to get to the next one. With my Rivian now, I put the car in all-purpose mode when at a charging stop. The nav will calculate based on all purpose to get the required charge rate to the next charger. Then I switch to conserve mode, which disconnects two of the four motors while actually driving the route. This always results in an increased margin of error.

I did the exact same thing when I first started and will with any new EV. I need to gain that confidence that the percentage is accurate for the distance given and it won't suddenly drop 10% for no reason when I'm too far from the charger I left to get back to it and not far enough to get to the next one. With my Rivian now, I put the car in all-purpose mode when at a charging stop. The nav will calculate based on all purpose to get the required charge rate to the next charger. Then I switch to conserve mode, which disconnects two of the four motors while actually driving the route. This always results in an increased margin of error.
I got a heck of a surprise on a recent drive from Omaha to Denver. After getting pretty comfortable with the inbuilt navigation's 'remaining range at stop' calculations, I discovered that a big-ass headwind and a long uphill slog would melt that estimate away very quickly. Fortunately, there were plenty of alternates along the way. Had that happened on a recent trip through the remote areas of Arizona and Utah, I could have been in big trouble!

I'm curious to know what Rivian's all-purpose mode factors into its calculations. Rivian sure does seem to have an enviable software suite!

Last edited:
Surprisingly uncommon to see a fellow chicagoan here! When is the trip @First_EV?
I'm not taking any road trips until september, so you'd be welcome to borrow my OEM Tire Repair Kit and one of my TeslaTap adapters :)

I am thinking of taking northern route since it is faster time wise and meeting in friend in Ohio. There seems to be quite a bit of charging options along the route. Car is telling me to stop twice but I might do an extra charge in between. Thanks!

for the avoidance of doubt, one of these stops needs to be several hours long (or overnight) so you can sleep. Chicago to VA is going to 11-15 hours depending on your destination. Even professional drivers are capped at 10 hours max before a mandated 8-hour break.

Plus, I think that negligent manslaughter is generally considered a faux pas

Hello,

I am planning a trip from Chicago -> Virginia. When the car selects charging stations for some reason it does not select any EA chargers.
I see Evgo and some other company's chargers. Does anyone by chance know how to select EA chargers during router planning?
Also, if other companies' chargers are selected, do I have to do anything before I start a trip, like register/create an account etc?

I would prefer to use EA chargers if possible but somehow not showing up on route.

Thanks!
Download EA app on your iPhone. That gives the best and most reliable info. Lucid info not RELIABLE

Back