Philosophical observation

I just noticed this in the owners manual:

View attachment 20122
I saw other articles also to support this on battery research. Apparently if you need 40% charge per week for example, the battery will last much longer if you charge 2 times 60 to 80 instead of once 40 to 80. The worst thing you can do is 20 to 60 just because it will charge much faster from 20 to 60.

I saw other articles also to support this on battery research. Apparently if you need 40% charge per week for example, the battery will last much longer if you charge 2 times 60 to 80 instead of once 40 to 80. The worst thing you can do is 20 to 60 just because it will charge much faster from 20 to 60.
Interesting ... so in short, better to plug in for daily L2 charging? Rather than wait for 40%? I assume this minimizes battery temp rise during charging?

Interesting ... so in short, better to plug in for daily L2 charging? Rather than wait for 40%? I assume this minimizes battery temp rise during charging?
I guess so. For now I am using the EA charging between 50 and 80 because when I am in town, 30% is all I need. Once the EA charging ends in Dec 2025, I plan to charge at home 65 to 80 2 times a week. Here is the very scientific article on this subject. https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/8/10/1825 "The impact of ageing when using various State of Charge (SOC) levels for an electrified vehicle is investigated in this article. An extensive test series is conducted on Li-ion cells, based on graphite and NMC/LMO electrode materials. Lifetime cycling tests are conducted during a period of three years in various 10% SOC intervals, during which the degradation as function of number of cycles is established. An empirical battery model is designed from the degradation trajectories of the test result. An electric vehicle model is used to derive the load profiles for the ageing model. The result showed that, when only considering ageing from different types of driving in small Depth of Discharges (DODs), using a reduced charge level of 50% SOC increased the lifetime expectancy of the vehicle battery by 44–130%. When accounting for the calendar ageing as well, this proved to be a large part of the total ageing. By keeping the battery at 15% SOC during parking and limiting the time at high SOC, the contribution from the calendar ageing could be substantially reduced.

The takeaway is to charge just in time and when not in use, leave it at low SoC.

I guess so. For now I am using the EA charging between 50 and 80 because when I am in town, 30% is all I need. Once the EA charging ends in Dec 2025, I plan to charge at home 65 to 80 2 times a week. Here is the very scientific article on this subject. https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/8/10/1825 "The impact of ageing when using various State of Charge (SOC) levels for an electrified vehicle is investigated in this article. An extensive test series is conducted on Li-ion cells, based on graphite and NMC/LMO electrode materials. Lifetime cycling tests are conducted during a period of three years in various 10% SOC intervals, during which the degradation as function of number of cycles is established. An empirical battery model is designed from the degradation trajectories of the test result. An electric vehicle model is used to derive the load profiles for the ageing model. The result showed that, when only considering ageing from different types of driving in small Depth of Discharges (DODs), using a reduced charge level of 50% SOC increased the lifetime expectancy of the vehicle battery by 44–130%. When accounting for the calendar ageing as well, this proved to be a large part of the total ageing. By keeping the battery at 15% SOC during parking and limiting the time at high SOC, the contribution from the calendar ageing could be substantially reduced.

The takeaway is to charge just in time and when not in use, leave it at low SoC.
This article is much less techy. https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/depth-of-discharge-ev
1713900846125.png

1713900992194.png

Back