Per the New York Times, Lucid owners are “tedious rich people”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
And I strongly object to being labeled “rich.”

Sure, some versions of the Lucid Air and Tesla Model S can hit 150 m.p.h. in less than 10 seconds, but that’s important the same way it’s important for watches to be waterproof to a depth of 1,000 feet — as a brag for tedious rich people.

From an editorial on how EVs are boring and how a Hans Zimmer soundtrack for your car sounds is a step in the right direction.

The Atlantic also had a recent article with the author yearning for the days before screens and computers in cars. To be fair, the interior of the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class was likened to a "hookah lounge", and he disturbingly described the Cybertruck as an "extraordinary example of forward-looking design". His distaste was not limited to EVs, but to all new cars. He did single out Lucids and Rivians: "Could a child ever dream about a Lucid or Rivian? These are generically good-looking, low-emissions vehicles that only a cyborg could lust over." He had no wish to ever drive an EV (or buy any new car), because he wanted a car he could drive and it would not drive him. It's too bad he never took a test drive.

The Atlantic also had a recent article with the author yearning for the days before screens and computers in cars. To be fair, the interior of the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class was likened to a "hookah lounge", and he disturbingly described the Cybertruck as an "extraordinary example of forward-looking design". His distaste was not limited to EVs, but to all new cars. He did single out Lucids and Rivians: "Could a child ever dream about a Lucid or Rivian? These are generically good-looking, low-emissions vehicles that only a cyborg could lust over." He had no wish to ever drive an EV (or buy any new car), because he wanted a car he could drive and it would not drive him. It's too bad he never took a test drive.
Wow, talk about clueless. Some of these writers are unreal.

Why limit himself to cars.. I know JUST the right model for him. It is the most analog and organically looking mode of transportation, perfect for him!

1714995726353.png

both the NY Times and the Atlantic are the mouthpieces of the NY/East Coast elitists, the mouthpiece of liberalism. IMHO their credibility is in the toilet.
Ha! Agree. Did you read this one?

NYT: EVs are boring

I was about to say (subscriber to NYT and Atlantic, among others) that in my experience the NYT promotes a right-wing / establishment agenda, ( anyone remember when Dick Cheney "leaked" lies to the NYT and then when asked about them claimed," Who me? I read it in the NYT!" ?

Of course it's an extablishment paper = which explains it's anti- EV stance. As a "failing" business, the Times' economic model is to sell to people who can read, but not necessary have learned critical thinking: " It must be factual; I read it in the Times." If the consumer can't see that it's nearly all BS engineered to attract eyeballs, woe be to them. Besides, their crossword puzzles are insane. I mostly read the Wirecutter & Science section in the Times, and their recipies are pretty darned consistently wonderful.
As for the Atlantic, the writing is so good who cares if they have an agenda?
Then there's the New Yorker, which has great writing AND cartoons, and good variety. To paraphrase Preet Bahara " ...does anyone ever finish a New Yorker article?" (guilty as charged) Yet I love the New Yorker for it's timelyness. Even the cartoons go stale quickly. So you have the Times for "current bullship", the New Yorker for a little more background and context, the the Atlantic for deep dives.

I also subscribe to Mother Jones and the Guardian, but again, they just make me upset and wish to withdraw from the human race.

Some day I hope to see/read the news an see no mention or photos of Herr Von Shitsinpants. I know what he looks like; I've heard all I need to know. But all these supposed "liberal" periodicals make money trying to addict us to that emotional juice ... thinking is hard. The brain needs lots and lots of glucose to "think". Much easier ( energy-efficient) to believe what you are told and enjoy the hate endorphins buzz. Doesn't matter if you are pro or con. What sells newspapers is that emotional kick one gets when you read/see something = heroin is probably safer.

As much as I support EVs, they are just a transition. EVs should be trains and busses...and maybe someday aircraft. We should live high-density along public transit routes, and leave the land to farmers and recreation.

Oh, and here's a step in the wrong direction:
Flying cars

“Media Outlet Sensationalizes to Drive Readership” - news at 11.

Happens as much with publications whose views I agree with as ones I don’t IMHO.

Sure, some versions of the Lucid Air and Tesla Model S can hit 150 m.p.h. in less than 10 seconds, but that’s important the same way it’s important for watches to be waterproof to a depth of 1,000 feet — as a brag for tedious rich people.

From an editorial on how EVs are boring and how a Hans Zimmer soundtrack for your car sounds is a step in the right direction.
Also, is this guy stupid? That was the worst metaphor I've seen about cars. There are MANY uses for water-resistant watches.. 1000 ft wouldn't even be too out of the ordinary as far as diving goes.

Lastly.. WTF is a "tedious rich person?" That makes literally no sense to me..

Last edited:
“Media Outlet Sensationalizes to Drive Readership” - news at 11.

Happens as much with publications whose views I agree with as ones I don’t IMHO.
every media outlet is going to have biases. this is not a new phenomena, those who have critical thinking skills, know how the read between the lines, obtain their info/data from varied sources are usually able to suss out the BS propaganda.

1000 ft wouldn't even be too out of the ordinary as far as diving goes.
There’s only been one person to ever dive 1000 feet… and may never be achieved again. Normal divers rarely exceed 100 feet. Below 200, special hypoxic breathing gas is necessary to avoid oxygen toxicity.

While criticizing others, make sure you have your facts straight. There’s only been one person to ever dive 1000 feet… and may never be achieved again. Normal divers rarely exceed 100 feet. Below 200, special hypoxic breathing gas is necessary to avoid oxygen toxicity.
I was joking, although I see where that could be misinterpreted. :) I actually didnt know that anybody went 1000 feet before.. I've got to look that up!

The point is, some people just want extra stuff in numerous categories.. but that doesn't make them "rich people looking to brag" as is insinuated in the article. If we all just wanted basic, slow, boring transportation, then we'd all be in Nissan Versas. Some of you guys want fun though, which is why they bought a Sapphire, etc! Or maybe they just want to feel special in their car. Or maybe they wanted a good sound system, or a comfortable ride.. it goes on and on. Wonder what car the editor has?

both the NY Times and the Atlantic are the mouthpieces of the NY/East Coast elitists, the mouthpiece of liberalism. IMHO their credibility is in the toilet.

It is a guest essay from a Car & Driver editor. But we all know that Car & Driver is a mouthpiece for East Coast liberalism! By the way, until Florida sinks into the Atlantic, last time I looked at a map it was east coast.

This is how Car & Track describes him:

EZRA DYER

SENIOR EDITOR
Ezra Dyer is a Car and Driver senior editor and columnist. He's now based in North Carolina but still remembers how to turn right. He owns a 2009 GEM e4 and once drove 206 mph. Those facts are mutually exclusive.

He wasn’t talking about lucid owners. He was talking about watch owners.

Lucids are cheap now. Far from a rich person car. lol.

This isn't entirely false...

It's a bit harsher than where I'd place it but ultimately there isn't a laundry list of good things I can say about NYC in general.

I will say that NYT is the only group in recent memory that has a union for their software engineers on this coast and have been fighting for proper remote working rights. I have to at least give them kudos for that.

It is a guest essay from a Car & Driver editor. But we all know that Car & Driver is a mouthpiece for East Coast liberalism! By the way, until Florida sinks into the Atlantic, last time I looked at a map it was east coast.

This is how Car & Track describes him:

EZRA DYER
SENIOR EDITOR
Ezra Dyer is a Car and Driver senior editor and columnist. He's now based in North Carolina but still remembers how to turn right. He owns a 2009 GEM e4 and once drove 206 mph. Those facts are mutually exclusive.
arizona will run out of potable water long before florida sinks into the ocean.

Lucids are cheap now. Far from a rich person car. lol.
What are you talking about? Lucid's are EXTREMELY expensive cars starting at $250,000. It's true because I read it on X 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back