One Year Ownership Review

mikecronis

Active Member

Joined
Jun 2, 2024
Messages
297
Reaction score
191
Location
Colorado
Cars
Lucid Air Dream-P
Air DE Number
234
So, I've owned my 2022 Dream Edition Performance Air and have some opinions overall and some notable observations now that the "honeymoon" is over as they say.

Several software updates have changed my opinion over the last year as well.

Software updates that solved issues or improved driving since December 2024 (which is amazing to me hardware can improve as they affected voltage on actuators!):
  • FOB access to the door handles now working all the time
  • Door soft-close works perfectly
  • Android Auto (73% of the world thanks you)
  • Throttle-off regen is much smoother
  • Charging works always, anywhere, NACS or J1772
  • Wiper rain sensitivity has improved
  • Heated seats / steering wheel automatic conditioning has slightly improved
  • Audio equalization quality and staging has slightly improved
  • Hands-free driving has slightly improved
  • Adaptive Cruise has unimproved, then improved later
  • Car detection blind-spot monitoring has improved
  • Lane-assist has unimproved and assumes any perpendicular road color change is a lane marker which bugs-out Hands-Free driving
  • Cabin temperature control has slightly unimproved, possibly for range, as if programmers assume drivers are dressed for the indicated season and not actual temp requested
  • Failed cameras are very uncommon now

Things I dislike about the Lucid Air Dream Performance:
  • Panel gap. Massive.. Panel.. gap. 3/4" panel gap in areas.
  • Squeaky trunk and frunk (fixed with WD-40, which is probably wrong but whatever)
  • No bass. None. Like a pencil hitting a piece of paper and then the cones distort and rupture. (Fixed with small JBL 12v-socket 8" sub in the trunk well)
  • Glass roof is a parlor trick that cooks you in the summer, freezes you in the winter, and reflects bass terribly and adds tons of road-noise (fixed amazingly with Lucid shades)
  • Hands-Free Driving is concerningly 7 years behind-the-curve in technology compared to other companies; dangerously untrustworthy. My SuperCruise by Cadillac CT6 was great in 2019.
  • New 2.0 "media computer" is not as amazing as I'd hope and offers slight improvements which generally only fixed speed of use slightly.
  • Android Auto sometimes does not connect via USB direct-wire.
  • Audio if car is plugged-in sets ALL audio into mute-mode until soft-reset is performed.
  • Buggy or lag-y cameras, which are low-resolution.
  • Backup warning is hit-or-miss
  • Curb-rash detector never works.
  • Self-parking is unpredictable and dangerous.
  • Glovebox access is digital.
  • 12v batteries failure results in zero-access to a small charger that you'd store in your trunk or Glovebox to access the rear-passenger-well pigtail jumpers. What, do I just walk around everywhere with one in my pocket?
  • Washer fluid dispersal is hit-or-miss.
  • 22" rims are delicate, loud, crash-y, and expensive and lower range by about 20%. (19" rims have more meat and improve these issues but don't look as-cool).
  • Pirelli (Chinese) LM2 Sumer tires are a joke and fail often (bubbles in sidewall).
  • Pirelli (Chinese) Sottozero Winter tires are about half-as-good as Bridgestone Blizzaks and squeal in turns.
  • Tires require very high pressure resulting in harsh ride quality for the sake of range that you can't adjust. Interestingly, a 35 PSI setting makes for a very smooth, supple ride with great grip, but you can't have that without low-tire warnings you can't shunt.
  • Top speed is governed due to Pirelli tire-choice by Lucid despite your changing brands.
  • Customer service is hit-or-miss. I asked to have the vanity mirror issue fixed two months ago and not heard back.
  • Rear seatbelts choke passengers.
  • All-weather mats seem to pull shoe rubber into it aggressively.
  • Massage feature is not great compared to other brands.
  • Seats are fairly stiff compared to other brands.
  • Steering wheel blocks gauge view and gauge cluster does not move to accommodate.
  • Subtle seat changes do not register to be "saved"
  • Media software overall is buggy always, and unpredictable.
  • Mobile Key via Phone is unrecommended.
  • FOB battery somehow needs to be replaced every 6 months?! Yep.

Things I love about the Lucid Air Dream Performance:
  • Acceleration is world-class.
  • Handling is near supercar quality and world-class.
  • Braking is world-class.
  • Leather and materials quality is well above average and excellent.
  • Fit & Finish is generally very good (A-pillar panel hangs down a bit and won't snap-in though)
  • Dash is modern (Cadillac copied it recently with the CT5)
  • Onboard apps such as SiriusXM is phone-based which defeats XM's purpose of no cellphone coverage areas, but allows additional several hundred channels.
  • Headlights are surprisingly good.
  • Interior feel and ambience is good (wish there were more colors to choose)
  • Interior noise, vibration, harshness is very good.
  • Driving "feel" is surprisingly connected, steering, braking, resistance, and other driving feedback values.
  • Range is excellent.
  • Charging is excellent.
  • Heating and A/C work well (but not accurate, ie. set to 74 deg. F. does not mean cabin is that actual temp. and more a "feels like" value).
  • Looks pretty cool but understated.

So.. overall.

Great car for actually driving. Honestly, better than any I've owned. Better than Corvette or current Lotus. Very connected.
Digital Media is deplorable and the whole team should be sacked; the huge weak-point.
(When I say "digital media" I mean anything that does not control the car's manual driving or HVAC such as: cruise control, audio systems, connectivity (all) very poor.)
Digital Media doesn't really matter. I'm certain it's a separate team that did this. The driving parts of the car, the things that matter all work great (aside from the cameras, which I guess falls under Digital Media).

I suspect the Gravity will really be hindered by this when mothers drive their rug-rats places and the Digital Media functions are buggy, lending overall lack of confidence and safety for their kids.
The Gravity (despite Timothée Chalamet) will drive fine, but the small details (like the Van Halen brown-M&M's fiasco) will concern the user for potential bigger problems.

I've overlooked this as I knew this going-in. I researched the car before buying for several years; haunted the forums, etc. The average person is not a "car guy" (or gal) and "just wants a car to work" without loving the car.
They should buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Camary. This is a car you must love; must have a relationship with; accept her flaws and laugh at them.

The car is reliable to do car-things. The goodies work sometimes, but usually not, like the supermodel you married that tried to bake you cookies, followed the recipe, but burned them a bit anyway. You appreciate the effort.

Really, Lucid should publicly execute their non-car-portion software development team. A recent video shows one guy browsing the internet until he noticed cameras were on him and quickly switched-back to some work screen. These people may not love the car as much as Peter Rawlinson and team did. Maybe they're there just for a paycheck? I don't feel love in the development there. It's not in their blood and it shows. I mean, come on, only a 3-band EQ? What is the frequency for those? They brag about the audio system then dumb-it-down. I demand a user-customizable 10 band Parametric EQ!

The car is very good. I'd recommend it to someone who loves cars; to someone who's owned exotics; to someone who's endured other EVs, who drives spiritedly.

Grade: 9/10
 
Really, Lucid should publicly execute their non-car-portion software development team. A recent video shows one guy browsing the internet until he noticed cameras were on him and quickly switched-back to some work screen. These people may not love the car as much as Peter Rawlinson and team did. Maybe they're there just for a paycheck? I don't feel love in the development there. I
if they were world class developers, they wouldn't work at Lucid, they would work at Tesla or one of the big brands. That's why.
 
if they were world class developers, they wouldn't work at Lucid, they would work at Tesla or one of the big brands. That's why.
Have you used Tesla software lately? I went to a physical Tesla "dealership" (all employees were doom-scrolling) and asked if all the hundreds of cars on the lot were for sale, of which only 5 were as demos, the rest were bricked due to software. Hundreds. I've known Tesla owners who lament about this.

All EV companies are having software development woes: BYD, GM, Ford, Rivian, and especially Tesla.

Lyriq, BYD, Hyundai, Polestar, etc. all are having major issues with software, of which all affects driving (EXCEPT Lucid who seemingly have driving CPU separated from Media setups)?

I had to due a space study on Space-X hiring techniques and they hire 10 kids and 1 good engineer to lead them. Sounds good. Doesn't work.

Lucid needs to pay for quality programmers, not greasy kids who learned Python or Java in Middle School and use ChatGPT to write the code for them.
 
Fair enough. I'm presented with new information and so I change my opinion. Thank you for the enlightenment.
 
Fair enough. I'm presented with new information and so I change my opinion. Thank you for the enlightenment.
I think Tesla's biggest issue is thier leadership and the Cybertruck. That truck is proof that one person, of questionable design chops, controls too much. There are rows and rows of them here, too, sitting unsold.

I also can't imagine a world where someone drives a Tesla, then a Lucid, and then buys the Tesla. There's no way.

My other car is a 12 year old Maserati, so I'm definatly not risk-averse when it comes to cars :D
 
I think Tesla's biggest issue is thier leadership and the Cybertruck. That truck is proof that one person, of questionable design chops, controls too much. There are rows and rows of them here, too, sitting unsold.

I also can't imagine a world where someone drives a Tesla, then a Lucid, and then buys the Tesla. There's no way.

My other car is a 12 year old Maserati, so I'm definatly not risk-averse when it comes to cars :D
Totally agree.
I think CyberTruck might have been a better seller if it was a bit smaller in size but it feels like a "fun" engineering experiment.
As for the Model S Plaid, I took one out, but it felt a bit numb and disconnected to my liking; it was soft and porpoise'd the road. I wasn't a fan of the violent regen or the smug sales telling me about "renewable" eco-friendly cactus fiber for the seats instead of leather (I tried to not remind him it takes hundreds of years to grow a cactus that was likely murdered compared to a cow that takes about 6 months, but whatever I guess.)

As for your Maserati, yes, it's like Lotus in that regard with terms, "TADTS" (They all do that, sir).
Italians put 99% of their effort in the beauty of cars, the rest is divided amongst everything else.

I have a friend with an Alfa Romeo and he agrees you need to house an Italian mechanic next to your scullery maid's quarters, preferably near the carriage-house.
 
Honestly if I was a world class software developer who wanted to get rich, I would go to Lucid. Shares are cheap so RSUs will look good in a few years. If you can fix the software at lucid you could make more than contributing to Tesla. Just on RSUs.

I knew a guy who went to work for a chip company in the 90s and said that he could increase their sales 30% for X shares of stock. The company wrote the contract and he delivered. That’s the opportunity Lucid presents.
 
Have you used Tesla software lately? I went to a physical Tesla "dealership" (all employees were doom-scrolling) and asked if all the hundreds of cars on the lot were for sale, of which only 5 were as demos, the rest were bricked due to software. Hundreds. I've known Tesla owners who lament about this.

All EV companies are having software development woes: BYD, GM, Ford, Rivian, and especially Tesla.

Lyriq, BYD, Hyundai, Polestar, etc. all are having major issues with software, of which all affects driving (EXCEPT Lucid who seemingly have driving CPU separated from Media setups)?

I had to due a space study on Space-X hiring techniques and they hire 10 kids and 1 good engineer to lead them. Sounds good. Doesn't work.

Lucid needs to pay for quality programmers, not greasy kids who learned Python or Java in Middle School and use ChatGPT to write the code for them.
Seriously doubt it on Tesla. I know of no Tesla owner that laments on that.

Have owned a Model S for 4 years now and never had one software issue (my first EV/Tesla). And actually no issues on anything. There software is way ahead of their competitors. Love that it is constantly getting updates and making it better and adding features. Friends that own Tesla’s feel the same, so maybe we all got lucky, but seriously doubt it.

Only thing I dislike is the media interface, but have gotten used to that. BMW does a much better job with that.
 
22" rims are delicate, loud, crash-y, and expensive and lower range by about 20%. (19" rims have more meat and improve these issues but don't look as-cool).
May I ask for your Miles per kWH with your 21 inch wheels? Imma bit of efficiency geek and wanted to know if my 4 months with my G.T.P. at 3.12 Miles per kWh is on par with what your Dream Performance miles per kWh shows. It would be a great data point as our ownership times overlaps with some similar software experience and driving calibrations.

Side note : I also leave my Climate at 74 deg. F as well lol.
 
Honestly if I was a world class software developer who wanted to get rich, I would go to Lucid. Shares are cheap so RSUs will look good in a few years. If you can fix the software at lucid you could make more than contributing to Tesla. Just on RSUs.
Have you checked LCID trend in the last 3-4 years? If you were a software developer, would you agree to take RSUs that are falling in price? It's a fantasy that they will look good in a few years, unsupported by any facts.

I actually know a software engineer that interviewed at Lucid. He chose a better job.
 
This sure is a fun thread, lol. I’m glad we all know how to fix Lucid’s software. They should just hire all of us, obviously. :p
 
This sure is a fun thread, lol. I’m glad we all know how to fix Lucid’s software. They should just hire all of us, obviously. :p
They definitely can't afford to pay my salary, so no chance for hiring me. I suspect the same goes for the other people that comment here.
 
Last edited:
May I ask for your Miles per kWH with your 21 inch wheels? Imma bit of efficiency geek and wanted to know if my 4 months with my G.T.P. at 3.12 Miles per kWh is on par with what your Dream Performance miles per kWh shows. It would be a great data point as our ownership times overlaps with some similar software experience and driving calibrations.

Side note : I also leave my Climate at 74 deg. F as well lol.
With the 21" I was getting with my Dream Performance 2.89 to 3.12 m/kWh. It did better on highway than city.
With the 19" I'm currently getting 3.86 m/kWh combined highway/city (mostly city).
My driving "style" has not changed.
The weight of the 19" rims is lighter, so un-sprung weight makes a difference it seems. 10 pounds per is a BIG deal.
 
Back
Top