No PAAK - Hello Weiner Mobile

Kairide

Active Member

Joined
Jan 23, 2026
Messages
275
Reaction score
468
Trading in the Gravity for this beaut with PAAK.

Since 3.5.1 arrived hours after my post yesterday threatening to trade in my Gravity for the Weiner Mobile I figured I’d try it again to get the PAAK update…worth a try 🤣


IMG_4616.webp
 
Trading in the Gravity for this beaut with PAAK.

Since 3.5.1 arrived hours after my post yesterday threatening to trade in my Gravity for the Weiner Mobile I figured I’d try it again to get the PAAK update…worth a try 🤣


View attachment 37535
okay, sending one hot dog pic is a mistake, sending two pics is a pattern...
 
I have PAAK in my BMW and app based mobile key for my Tesla and Lucid.

Unless I’m missing something, PAAK is actually less useful.it barely does anything.
 
I have PAAK in my BMW and app based mobile key for my Tesla and Lucid.

Unless I’m missing something, PAAK is actually less useful.it barely does anything.
PAAK is what’s useful. It allows you to unlock and drive off without taking your phone out of your pocket. It also auto locks your car when you get out. For example with Tesla, you pull the door handle, the car unlocks and the profile for seats/mirrors, and streaming music service are synched. You get out and the Tesla locks. It’s truly key and hands free. With mobile key, like Lucid just rolled out in 3.5.1 you have the ability for remote start now. But that requires opening the app and pressing the start button. It doesn’t auto lock the car when exiting.
 
PAAK is what’s useful. It allows you to unlock and drive off without taking your phone out of your pocket. It also auto locks your car when you get out. For example with Tesla, you pull the door handle, the car unlocks and the profile for seats/mirrors, and streaming music service are synched. You get out and the Tesla locks. It’s truly key and hands free. With mobile key, like Lucid just rolled out in 3.5.1 you have the ability for remote start now. But that requires opening the app and pressing the start button. It doesn’t auto lock the car when exiting.
Tesla is not PAAK it’s just an app. Lucid could do that too if they knew how to make good software. And to their credit, the Air does sometimes work that way, but it’s not PAAK either.

PAAK resides in the iOS wallet app.
 
Tesla is not PAAK it’s just an app. Lucid could do that too if they knew how to make good software. And to their credit, the Air does sometimes work that way, but it’s not PAAK either.

PAAK resides in the iOS wallet app.
Please stop stating things as fact that you're unsure of.

PaaK just means 'phone as a key,' which means lock, unlock, and start vehicles or open smart locks using a smartphone via Bluetooth (BLE), Ultra Wideband (UWB), or NFC. The Air has PaaK, and it works fine.

What you are referring to is Apple or Google's Digital Car Key, which is separate and uses either UWB or NFC. Notably, digital car key does not use Bluetooth.

Gravity has UWB, and thus will get Digital Car Key. The Air does not, as it has Bluetooth, which means it keeps Lucid's PaaK. However, there is some chance that the Air gets added to Digital Car Key via NFC, though they haven't announced that.
 
PAAK is what’s useful. It allows you to unlock and drive off without taking your phone out of your pocket. It also auto locks your car when you get out. For example with Tesla, you pull the door handle, the car unlocks and the profile for seats/mirrors, and streaming music service are synched. You get out and the Tesla locks. It’s truly key and hands free. With mobile key, like Lucid just rolled out in 3.5.1 you have the ability for remote start now. But that requires opening the app and pressing the start button. It doesn’t auto lock the car when exiting.
I get some people like this, but man talk about a complicated and possibly fraught solution for a teeny, tiny convenience.
 
Please stop stating things as fact that you're unsure of.

PaaK just means 'phone as a key,' which means lock, unlock, and start vehicles or open smart locks using a smartphone via Bluetooth (BLE), Ultra Wideband (UWB), or NFC. The Air has PaaK, and it works fine.

What you are referring to is Apple or Google's Digital Car Key, which is separate and uses either UWB or NFC. Notably, digital car key does not use Bluetooth.

Gravity has UWB, and thus will get Digital Car Key. The Air does not, as it has Bluetooth, which means it keeps Lucid's PaaK. However, there is some chance that the Air gets added to Digital Car Key via NFC, though they haven't announced that.

I was going only off of what I could find from Apple support. Maybe this is like L2++ be L3 or something I still can’t tell the difference in practice.

So Digital Car Key, is Paak, an app is also considered Paak but not Digital Car Key? Why are so many people wanting Digital Car Key then? The app works fine and has more features.

So I understand, all “Digital Car Key” are “Paak”, but not all Paak count as “Digital Car Key?” Who comes up with this!!!
 
I was going only off of what I could find from Apple support. Maybe this is like L2++ be L3 or something I still can’t tell the difference in practice.

So Digital Car Key, is Paak, an app is also considered Paak but not Digital Car Key? Why are so many people wanting Digital Car Key then? The app works fine and has more features.

So I understand, all “Digital Car Key” are “Paak”, but not all Paak count as “Digital Car Key?” Who comes up with this!!!
Apple uses their "wallet" app as a depository for a digital car key that complies with Apple's standards.

Digital car key is a generic term. Phone as a key is a generic term.

Lucid just gave us a choice to use the Lucid app on our phones as a digital key. It is not Apple Car Key, but your phone does act as a key.

PAAK, as was introduced by Tesla eons ago, allowed a phone to communicate directly with the car, without pushing any buttons on the app, to unlock the door and drive away. PAAK is simply shorthand for a generic concept.

There is a Car Connectivity Consortium that has developed standards, but PAAK for me is "the phone acts as a key without my having to do anything." That is just me. Lucid's app requires me to push a button to activate the key. It's still a digital key.

The Polestar has their key stored in Apple Wallet. It allows me to share a key or take one back. But, it unlocks and locks every time I walk near it.

I'm think I'm perfectly happy with Lucid's version of a digital key. I'll get past the first world problem of actually having to push a button. Plus, we should be able to add a shortcut to the lock screen that will allow us to tell Siri to "start the Gravity" and we won't have to even push a button. And, it won't light up like a Christmas tree everytime I go into the garage.
 
I guess when you have a Tesla (like my wife's Model S) that presents door handles perfectly when you approach, and allows you start driving without a key and without taking your phone out of your pocket, you really miss having that in your Gravity, like I do.
And when you have a Tesla (like my 2016 Model X) that has a key that works perfectly (can easily press the intended button, even through my pants with the phone in my pocket, and easily open the trunk from a good distance away as I push my grocery cart toward it), you really miss that, like I do.
 
I get some people like this, but man talk about a complicated and possibly fraught solution for a teeny, tiny convenience.
It’s not a teeny, tiny convenience. If you have a kid and don’t have the key fob since Lucid only gives you one. For me I have to either unlock via the app, which isn’t the quickest since you need to wait for the app to connect to the car. Or, walk with my kid to the driver’s side and tap my key card to the B pillar and walk around with him to the rear passenger side to get him into his car seat. Of course this all gets harder/impossible if you have anything in your hands and/or if it’s raining and you’re in a busy parking lot. Same process goes for then locking the car.
If Lucid put an NFC reader on the passenger B pillar as well, it would help solve some of the issue. But with PAAK all of this goes away.
 
Marginally on topic, a bit less than 3 years ago I was driving back from Palo Alto on 280 (still had the model S then) and snapped this pic :)

IMG_8146.webp


Hadn't see one IRL in decades.
 
It’s not a teeny, tiny convenience. If you have a kid and don’t have the key fob since Lucid only gives you one. For me I have to either unlock via the app, which isn’t the quickest since you need to wait for the app to connect to the car. Or, walk with my kid to the driver’s side and tap my key card to the B pillar and walk around with him to the rear passenger side to get him into his car seat. Of course this all gets harder/impossible if you have anything in your hands and/or if it’s raining and you’re in a busy parking lot. Same process goes for then locking the car.
If Lucid put an NFC reader on the passenger B pillar as well, it would help solve some of the issue. But with PAAK all of this goes away.
No doubt they now only give you one fob (my Air came with 2) because people demand their phones unlock their cars.(personally, I'd insist on 2 and not buy the car if they demurred) If you have the fob in your pocket, you just need to press the door handle and the car opens. So, as I said, the whole phone as a key thing makes 0 sense to me. Being relieved of the burden of having to actually carry car keys seems like the definition of a teeny, tiny convenience to me. Obviously, others disagree and want the feature, but Lucid seems to be having a difficult time delivering.
 
Trading in the Gravity for this beaut with PAAK.

Since 3.5.1 arrived hours after my post yesterday threatening to trade in my Gravity for the Weiner Mobile I figured I’d try it again to get the PAAK update…worth a try 🤣

View attachment 37535

saw one of these in MN in a hotel parking lot once. the drivers were staying at the same hotel we were. they were there for the Minnesota State Fair. They need one of these fried and on a stick. ;)
 
I have been driving Teslas for 6 years prior to getting my Gravity. I NEVER want to have to carry a key fob again. It feels like a huge step backward. In the 6 years I was driving Teslas, I was never given a fob, and never needed one. The phone key just worked every time. The new phone key for my Gravity makes it so I have to still pull my phone out, unlock it, push the button, ... not good. The fob suffers from accidental button pushes, and the car beeps at me when I'm getting out if the fob button has been pushed while I'm driving - which is about half the time depending on what pants I'm wearing. Why wouldn't Lucid make the phone key work just like the fob? Also, why does the Gravity have to alert me every time I open the door to remind me not to forget my key? This is useless. If it goes off every time I get out of the car, I will learn to ignore it. Then if I actually do forget my key, the alert will not have helped. If Lucid wants to have a useful alert, it should be intelligent enough to alert me after I get out of the car and have left the key behind (like almost every other car out there).
 
I guess when you have a Tesla (like my wife's Model S) that presents door handles perfectly when you approach, and allows you start driving without a key and without taking your phone out of your pocket, you really miss having that in your Gravity, like I do.
And when you have a Tesla (like my 2016 Model X) that has a key that works perfectly (can easily press the intended button, even through my pants with the phone in my pocket, and easily open the trunk from a good distance away as I push my grocery cart toward it), you really miss that, like I do.
When I got my model 3, the Paak was way worse than Lucid’s implementation is now. But Tesla did improve it significantly. Lucid can still make it better, but I haven’t carried a fob for several months and I rarely have issues with my phone as a key.

Gravity will get true UWB support, which will blow away anything else, eventually. Those of you with a current BMW know how good it is. Once that happens, all these paak complaints about Gravity will be a distant memory.
 
For me, the differentiating feature of PaaK vs Remote Start is: Remote Start requires internet connectivity to function, PaaK is entirely local and works without any wifi or cellular connectivity.

You can have both. PaaK isn't going to remove the Remote Start functionality. They really are separate, distinct features with different use cases.
 
It’s not a teeny, tiny convenience. If you have a kid and don’t have the key fob since Lucid only gives you one. For me I have to either unlock via the app, which isn’t the quickest since you need to wait for the app to connect to the car. Or, walk with my kid to the driver’s side and tap my key card to the B pillar and walk around with him to the rear passenger side to get him into his car seat. Of course this all gets harder/impossible if you have anything in your hands and/or if it’s raining and you’re in a busy parking lot. Same process goes for then locking the car.
If Lucid put an NFC reader on the passenger B pillar as well, it would help solve some of the issue. But with PAAK all of this goes away.
There IS an NFC reader on driver b pillar. Holding your card to it lets you start car and drive away as long as you do so within two minutes. Similar to what is now in the app.

We have the Apple Digital Key or whatever on our R1S and it also works with just the Apple Watch (latest OTA). It’s fantastic and will be huge when it comes to Gravity. After CarPlay, that’s my most desired feature.
 
Back
Top