Newbie problems with my 21 inch wheels

stealthblklucid

Reaction score
Cars
lucid air touring
I regret that this issue has been previously discussed. But I'm looking for some advice from more experienced owners. I am a former owner of two prior Tesla model S vehicles. In fact I bought one of the first 3000 tesla model S vehicles. Then another one which I drove for 8 years with its own set of problems, but not with flat tires. But I only had 19" wheels on my model S cars. No real problem with bubbles on the tires. My black stealth air touring car has only 1400 miles. I have now had my second sidewall bubble and flat in the last week. I replaced the factory summer tires with pilot sport all weather. Then a few days later one of the new all weather 21 inch wheels also got a bubble. So now Ive bought three new tires in the last 6 weeks. I'm afraid that this problem with the 21 inch wheels failing here in New Jersey is a terrible problem. I also really like the look of the 21 inch wheels with the black stealth car. But should I just give up and buy a 19 inch set of wheels and new tires? T
EE07DFAA-CA81-4E88-9242-7466ADCA2900_1_105_c.webp
he inconvenience of getting stuck on the road is really freaking me out. I can't seem to find a place in New Jersey that will provide a warranty on these low profile tires. Please provide your advice/suggestions. Any advice much appreciated.
3AAF41D2-741C-40C1-BD17-834751ACCEBF_1_105_c.webp

19" wheels are not as exciting to look at, but are much less likely to pop a tire. It's also easier to get winter tires for them.
Discount Tire (aka Americas Tire) sells tire certificates that cover road hazard damage. You don't need to have bought the tires from them.

In addition to getting the tire certificates, air the tires to 45 lbs to help reduce the risk of bubbles
Is this an actual thing? Over-inflating my 21"s will reduce the chance of bubbles??

Would they really cover sidewall damage if I purchase the tires from discount tires directly? The problem is that I would need a new tire immediately and I don’t have the time to deal wish a warranty claim. I don’t have one of those discount tire stores near me locally. The local guys at Bridgestone and Mavis will not warranty those low profile 21inch tires. Did any of you guys really have success getting discount tires to cover a 21 inch tire with side wall damage from a pot hole? It’s so frustrating. All the beautiful cars in the local showroom showcase the look of these 21 inch wheels but I feel like they really are faulty due to the weight of the vehicle. I feel a little duped.

Yes, I keep my 21” tires at 45 psi. No bubbles despite having hit a few potholes… one large enough to make an aero cover fly off (which I replaced), but no damage to the tire or wheel itself. 👍

Switch to 19's and be done with it.

Is this an actual thing? Over-inflating my 21"s will reduce the chance of bubbles??
Yes, at the expense of ride quality.

Would they really cover sidewall damage if I purchase the tires from discount tires directly? The problem is that I would need a new tire immediately and I don’t have the time to deal wish a warranty claim.
Yes, and you don’t even need to purchase them from discount tire. Show up, they will look at your tires, and certify them - all four cost me $268 or so. Doesn’t matter where you bought your tires. Then if anything happens, including sidewall damage, they will replace it for free (no warranty claim required), and you can optionally choose to insure the new tire for $100.

I don’t have one of those discount tire stores near me locally.
You probably have an America’s Tire. They are the same company.

The local guys at Bridgestone and Mavis will not warranty those low profile 21inch tires. Did any of you guys really have success getting discount tires to cover a 21 inch tire with side wall damage from a pot hole? It’s so frustrating.
Yes. Many owners have used the certificates without issues and discount tire / Americas tire has a great reputation.

All the beautiful cars in the local showroom showcase the look of these 21 inch wheels but I feel like they really are faulty due to the weight of the vehicle. I feel a little duped.
I haven’t had any issues on my Pirelli 21s, in the 20k miles I’ve driven on them over two years. They still have plenty of tread life left too.

Others have had bad experiences. I imagine it’s somewhat based on how you drive, where you drive, and what the weather is like.

But it’s not the weight of the vehicle; if that were it, everyone would have issues instead of just some.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I do have an America’s tire not too far from me. Will they warranty the lucid air only for the factory original tires? Or can I purchase the pilot all season tires and get the warranty coupon coverage? It’s so odd becusse when I search up the lucid air tires in their website it says nothing available.
So my new plan would be to get the pilot all season 21 tires at americas tire and pay for the warranty. Maybe I’ll keep an extra wheel with a summer tire tire mounted in my trunk as a spare. So that way wouldn’t be that big a deal to have AAA put on the spare wheel instead of having to get the car towed every time I get a bubble. Of course I’m going to now slow down a bit and always be looking for pot holes.

I guess my question is, what all season tires can I get on the car that americas tires will let me buy a warranty for? I need a tire for the winters here in NJ

They will warranty any tire after they inspect them first to see if it meets their guidelines for the warranty. There is also no reason to stay with the factory tires either. You can switch brands to something comparable as well as change size. If I wanted to stay with my factory wheels, I’d consider going 10mm wider on the front and rears for a little more traction and slightly more sidewall … But that’s just me.

I don’t think tire availability is as big an issue now as the inconvenience is of having a tire blow out in general. It messes up the rest of one’s day. My thinking for daily driving to not carry a spare is because the rest of my day will likely already be shot whether or not I’m waiting for AAA to replace the flat or waiting for them to come and tow my car somewhere. I’d already be late even if I carried everything with me to change the flat on the side of the road. I’d have to consider options if planning a road trip though.

Last edited:
I guess my question is, what all season tires can I get on the car that americas tires will let me buy a warranty for? I need a tire for the winters here in NJ
You’ll get msny answers. Settle on a brand first after doing some research then dig into their offerings for AS tires.

Shucks I do not have an americas tire store or discount tires store here in NJ. I have an American tire store - different. I don’t think any local stores gong to warranty these tires for side wall damage. Does anybody know if such a tire store warranty in NJ?

Shucks I do not have an americas tire store or discount tires store here in NJ. I have an American tire store - different. I don’t think any local stores gong to warranty these tires for side wall damage. Does anybody know if such a tire store warranty in NJ?
Look into Tirerack.com which is also part of Americas Tire to see what warranty options they have?

Look into Tirerack.com which is also part of Americas Tire to see what warranty options they have?
This is what I would have done if I were smarter. I also don't have a nearby America's Tire / Discount Tire. Tire Rack will warranty tires you buy from them at least, and they'll ship those tires to a shop near you to have them installed.

Costco also has a 5 year warranty program. I’d certainly consider them as well knowing how great they are with customer satisfaction.

I regret that this issue has been previously discussed. But I'm looking for some advice from more experienced owners. I am a former owner of two prior Tesla model S vehicles. In fact I bought one of the first 3000 tesla model S vehicles. Then another one which I drove for 8 years with its own set of problems, but not with flat tires. But I only had 19" wheels on my model S cars. No real problem with bubbles on the tires. My black stealth air touring car has only 1400 miles. I have now had my second sidewall bubble and flat in the last week. I replaced the factory summer tires with pilot sport all weather. Then a few days later one of the new all weather 21 inch wheels also got a bubble. So now Ive bought three new tires in the last 6 weeks. I'm afraid that this problem with the 21 inch wheels failing here in New Jersey is a terrible problem. I also really like the look of the 21 inch wheels with the black stealth car. But should I just give up and buy a 19 inch set of wheels and new tires? TView attachment 23063he inconvenience of getting stuck on the road is really freaking me out. I can't seem to find a place in New Jersey that will provide a warranty on these low profile tires. Please provide your advice/suggestions. Any advice much appreciated. View attachment 23064
hey there, I had two bubble tires. Pirelli replaced both no charge. Mine occurred when I was going up interstate and came across a medium pot hole in front of a bridge transition (metal strip). I have 21s as well.

I had two bubble tires on my GT, 21's, pot hole on interstate in front of bridge transition. Tire company replaced both NC.

Back