Newbie charging question(s)

What brand wall connectors? If they're truly dumb then I don't get how that works, unless each one is configured to pull no more than 40 amps.
One is the original Rivian wall connector and one is the G1 Tesla wall connector. So they’re not truly “dumb”, I suppose.
 
One is the original Rivian wall connector and one is the G1 Tesla wall connector. So they’re not truly “dumb”, I suppose.
I'd love to know what aftermarket thing an electrician installed to let them share a circuit when the max draw on each combines to be greater than 80% the breaker rating. Whether legally or whether he's counting on you not charging two vehicles at max capacity at the exact same time.

And, btw, have you checked to see what your Gen 1 Wall Connector's dip switches are set to?
 
I'd love to know what aftermarket thing an electrician installed to let them share a circuit when the max draw on each combines to be greater than 80% the breaker rating. Whether legally or whether he's counting on you not charging two vehicles at max capacity at the exact same time.

And, btw, have you checked to see what your Gen 1 Wall Connector's dip switches are set to?
https://energylibrary.tesla.com/doc...UID-8CD32F0F-C5BA-43D9-951A-EB3E17043427.html

I have this same setup with Wallbox: https://shop.wallbox.com/products/power-meter

The Lucid LCHCS always runs at 80A. The Wallbox is on a 60A circuit so would run at 48A. The subpanel is a 125A subpanel.

That means when the LCHCS is charging, the Wallbox would be at a lower rate automatically. As soon as the Lucid stops charging, it bounces up to 48A.

(And yes, this passed inspection)
 
https://energylibrary.tesla.com/doc...UID-8CD32F0F-C5BA-43D9-951A-EB3E17043427.html

I have this same setup with Wallbox: https://shop.wallbox.com/products/power-meter

The Lucid LCHCS always runs at 80A. The Wallbox is on a 60A circuit so would run at 48A. The subpanel is a 125A subpanel.

That means when the LCHCS is charging, the Wallbox would be at a lower rate automatically. As soon as the Lucid stops charging, it bounces up to 48A.

(And yes, this passed inspection)
This^ except 100A circuit and yes, it passed inspection. It just doesn’t let the combination of chargers pull more than 80A through whatever mechanism is balancing the load. I’ve not looked at the dip switch. It all works so I don’t want to touch it or I will break it!

I have another G1 Tesla wall charger at a vacation home and I dialed that down to 48A and didn’t touch the dip switches.
 
https://energylibrary.tesla.com/doc...UID-8CD32F0F-C5BA-43D9-951A-EB3E17043427.html

I have this same setup with Wallbox: https://shop.wallbox.com/products/power-meter

The Lucid LCHCS always runs at 80A. The Wallbox is on a 60A circuit so would run at 48A. The subpanel is a 125A subpanel.

That means when the LCHCS is charging, the Wallbox would be at a lower rate automatically. As soon as the Lucid stops charging, it bounces up to 48A.

(And yes, this passed inspection)
This is why I love this place! Give me information not speculation.
 
The 80A charger will be twice as fast as you 40A NEMA 14-50. In very hot or very cold weather it will be more than twice as fast since a lower percentage of the power will be going to the BMS system warming or cooling the battery. That said, if you usually charge overnight, you likely will not notice the speed difference so it will not matter.
I figured it wouldn't be a much different experience when charging late at night so the wife's Taycan won't be an issue. My lowly Gravity will have to take advantage of the driveway being empty whilst she runs here N there! 😝 Plus I can take advantage of our solar peak output times
 
Reviving this thread as I am unable to charge at a hotel Level 2 charger currently. Has there been any update to software making Gravity compatible with older generation Tesla level 2 chargers? Or is it the gen 3s that don’t work on it? And does dialing back to 48amps allow it to charge? Thnx.
 
Reviving this thread as I am unable to charge at a hotel Level 2 charger currently. Has there been any update to software making Gravity compatible with older generation Tesla level 2 chargers? Or is it the gen 3s that don’t work on it? And does dialing back to 48amps allow it to charge? Thnx.
Gen-3s (current) should be compatible - there are even versions of those with the built-in CCS adapter option.
Gen-1 and Gen-2s dialed to 48 amps or lower should be compatible. Setting the "do not touch" dip switch on Gen-2s to the other setting doesn't seem to harm anything for Gravity and original Tesla Roadster use. My Roadster to NACS adapter does handle higher amperages from Gen-2s, but the car still displays a warning when connected. The guy who built those adapters worked with Tesla, but that was the best they could come up with. Now that I'm at 48 amps with that dip switch, I don't get warnings on the Roadster and my Gravity never complains. Matter of fact, the Gravity charges even when it's not supposed to, but that's yet another scheduled charging bug still in 3.4.4.
 
Gen-3s (current) should be compatible - there are even versions of those with the built-in CCS adapter option.
Gen-1 and Gen-2s dialed to 48 amps or lower should be compatible. Setting the "do not touch" dip switch on Gen-2s to the other setting doesn't seem to harm anything for Gravity and original Tesla Roadster use. My Roadster to NACS adapter does handle higher amperages from Gen-2s, but the car still displays a warning when connected. The guy who built those adapters worked with Tesla, but that was the best they could come up with. Now that I'm at 48 amps with that dip switch, I don't get warnings on the Roadster and my Gravity never complains. Matter of fact, the Gravity charges even when it's not supposed to, but that's yet another scheduled charging bug still in 3.4.4.
Amazing. Thank you for the updated info. I wasn’t able to convince the hotel to change their amperage for me :) but was able to switch to a j1772 adapter and all was good. I guess I will start asking about what Gen Tesla level 2 these hotels have ahead of time!
 
Back
Top