New to EV market - looking at Lucid

Yes, DDPro is almost like Tesla's but only on mapped highways (not point-to-point on city streets).
All highways, not just mapped highways.
 
The key works well. If you need a mobile key you are going to be frustrated as the Air doesn’t have a real phone-as-key solution because of a hardware limitation. But if you keep a fob in your pocket like I do it’s a nonissue. I even got a fancy leather case for the lucid from Leather Brut and it looks nice.
What? The Air absolutely has a real “phone as key” solution, in the form of a Bluetooth mobile key. I haven’t carried my fob in years.

Destination not sharing is a bit annoying. But it’s a pretty niche issue. It’s not like something is broken, they just haven’t built that out.
They had, actually; if used to work and broke a few months ago.

When I’ve wanted to use creep it works.

I drive my car every day. I take road trips and I commute and I drive all over town. It’s an awesome car to drive. It’s fast and fun and look good. Super comfy too. The software is pretty darn reliable at this point too.
Agreed on the rest.
 
...If you need a mobile key you are going to be frustrated as the Air doesn’t have a real phone-as-key solution because of a hardware limitation. But if you keep a fob in your pocket like I do it’s a nonissue. I even got a fancy leather case for the lucid from Leather Brut and it looks nice...

What? The Air absolutely has a real “phone as key” solution, in the form of a Bluetooth mobile key. I haven’t carried my fob in years.
...
This definitely confused me. I almost always only use phone as key. The fob sits on my dresser unless I'm going on a long trip (redundant security) or somewhere where I think I may need valet. @nashvillelucid what am I missing?
 
I'm responding as a recent purchaser of a 3-year old AGT from a non-Lucid dealer.

  1. I've had the car since late January. The only issue I might attribute to software is auto parking does not seem to work. A tech that came out to look at another issue thought it would be due to PPF film covering the rear sensors. I've trimmed the film off but the system still seems to be incapable of finding parking spots. I'll let Coldwater see if they can figure it out. I see a lot of complaints about PAAK. The worst case scenarios I've experienced with PAAK are a) Sometimes when I'm mowing my lawn and walk near the car it wakes up. And goes back to sleep. And wakes up on the next pass...rinse repeat about a dozen times. b) Every now and then I walk up to the car and the handles and mirrors don't present because for whatever reason the car doesn't know my phone is near. In every case, pulling it out of my pocket resolves the issue. Two very opposite issues. One where it's too sensitive, one where it's not sensitive enough.
  2. I've been getting the software updates. As long as Lucid has the car assigned to you you will get the updates. I am on SW version 2.8.30. There is no cost for the updates. I did pay for the CCCv2 upgrade, but that's a choice. My car is getting picked up by the Coldwater Michigan service center tomorrow morning. Frunk latches / motors need to be recalibrated. They're bringing me a loaner and taking my car in.
  3. We have a Model Y Dual Motor with FSD and the LAGT with Dream Drive Pro (DDP). FSD is the better system. It achieves point-to-point navigation and I'd say it has progressed over time to be 95 - 99% effective. Occasionally turns into the wrong driveway or makes moves that ...shall we say "disagree" with posted ordinances. (Left turn where there are signs prohibiting, right on red when there are signs prohibiting). DDP is closer to GM's SuperCruise in that it provides handsfree driving on mapped roads. The single difference is SuperCruise can decide to make lane changes on its own, like FSD does. With DDP you need to signal the lane change. Lucid is on a path to achieve point-to-point navigation through its work with Nvidia. It is unclear whether Air will eventually get that feature, but if so it will likely require CCCv2. Some 2024 and all 2025 and later have CCCv2. Since my car is a 2023 I purchased the upgrade in order to be capable of receiving any upgrades to DDP.
  4. The way I would approach it is if I were getting a new car, I would lease. If I were getting a used car (I did) I would buy. The original buyer / lessee will swallow the depreciation. I paid about 40% sticker for my car and because of all the software updates over the 3 years it has been in service it is arguably a better car than it was when the original owner took possession. As you have already noted, YMMV.
  5. It appears that service experiences vary wildly. Since I have one year left on the warranty, I am engaging service on every little thing that I notice. I want everything addressed and/or documented before the warranty expires. The service team has done very well by me. I'll know better when I get it back from its visit to Coldwater service center. I am VERY discerning when it comes to vehicle service. At some point in my career I was director of powertrain service for GM and I have some predispositions about how things are supposed to be handled.
If you purchase from a non-Lucid dealer you may want to consider some of the following things...
  • Make certain that the previous driver's information, including and especially Owner PIN, get cleared before you take delivery. I lucked out and the dealer was able to contact the original owner and get the PIN.
  • Be diligent in getting the Bill of Sale information. You will need that information to communicate with Lucid Customer Care to get the vehicle attached to you.
Thank you so much. This is super helpful - and somewhat calming, to a potential buyer like myself.

For CCC upgrade, anybody can essentially pay to have it done at the service center then?
 
Thank you so much. This is super helpful - and somewhat calming, to a potential buyer like myself.

For CCC upgrade, anybody can essentially pay to have it done at the service center then?
That is my understanding as well. I am scheduled to have a recall repair of the early vehicle heater failure issue, and Lucid service simply treats me like the original owner.
 
Lease or buy one that’s already taken the depreciation hit. My Lucid Gravity GT stickered at $119,550 new. I got it in August 2025 on a 3-year lease with 7,500 miles/year, and the residual is around $72k.
I’ve only put about 5k miles on it so far, and Carvana is showing roughly $68,200 if I sold today (obviously hypothetical, but still a solid data point). That’s a massive drop in under a year. It’s an amazing vehicle, when it works, but the depreciation is real. Either lease it and let the bank take that hit, or buy one that’s already been discounted heavily on the secondary market.
 
This definitely confused me. I almost always only use phone as key. The fob sits on my dresser unless I'm going on a long trip (redundant security) or somewhere where I think I may need valet. @nashvillelucid what am I missing?

I still have moments when the car doesn’t open immediately by phone alone. So I carry the fob. Maybe I’ll do a week long trial of only using the phone, but the delay is pretty annoying and I really like how the fob is seamless.
 
I have a 2025 Air Pure bought new in Nov. 2024. Everything works well including Android links to phone. I only use key FOB with passive lock turned off (since working in my garage caused constant lock/unlock). Its sometimes a very tiny bit annoying to unlock with invisible buttons on FOB, but a very minor tradeoff for a great car and ride.
 
I still have moments when the car doesn’t open immediately by phone alone. So I carry the fob. Maybe I’ll do a week long trial of only using the phone, but the delay is pretty annoying and I really like how the fob is seamless.
I've had to wake my phone on occasion to get mobile key to work. The fob always worked but is one more thing to carry around.
 

This is the cover I got for my fob. I like it a lot.

I do have an unusual tolerance for carrying stuff things in my pockets. I legit have a costanza wallet.
 
That's really nice, but pricey. Here is mine: $5.95 from Amazon and large enought to hold a 1000 mah CR 2477 battery. The red spot is where you push to unlock the car.
 

Attachments

  • fob.webp
    fob.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
Thank you so much. This is super helpful - and somewhat calming, to a potential buyer like myself.

For CCC upgrade, anybody can essentially pay to have it done at the service center then?
They did mine in my driveway.
 
When buying a pre-owned, obviously a CPO through Lucid is an option, albeit with a premium. I noted that there are companies claiming that they specialized in pre-owned EVs like Ever or Recharged EV. Does it make a difference going through them?
 
> When buying a pre-owned, obviously a CPO through Lucid is an option, albeit with a premium. I noted that there are companies claiming that they specialized in pre-owned EVs like Ever or Recharged EV. Does it make a difference going through them?

Others may have better input, but when I was on the hunt I mostly educated myself. For example I specifically wanted a certain
motor configuration and used this: https://lucidowners.com/threads/updated-vin-structure.1099/ to get it right.

I spoke a few times with the people at Ever who were pleasant and knowledgable but they were interested in learning about my 7th digit preference (did not know for themselves).

The Lexus dealer I purchased from knew very little. So the premium you pay to a specialized dealer may have mixed value.

At this point your own knowledge may exceed theirs, but perhaps their in-house selection is a benefit for you.
 
I only use key FOB with passive lock turned off (since working in my garage caused constant lock/unlock). Its sometimes a very tiny bit annoying to unlock with invisible buttons on FOB, but a very minor tradeoff for a great car and ride.
If passive lock is turned off, can’t you just depress the handle when you arrive at the car, to unlock it? That’s how both PAAK and the Fob work for me….

When I want to lock it, I press the handle as I leave, and again as I return to open. At home, if I let it just sit then sleep on its own it’ll depress the handle, but I can push it to enter without Phone or Fob if I want to grab something from the car.
 
If passive lock is turned off, can’t you just depress the handle when you arrive at the car, to unlock it? That’s how both PAAK and the Fob work for me….

When I want to lock it, I press the handle as I leave, and again as I return to open. At home, if I let it just sit then sleep on its own it’ll depress the handle, but I can push it to enter without Phone or Fob if I want to grab something from the car.
I just learned today on this thread and through the loaner that was delivered to me today that you can separately apply Passive Lock and Passive Unlock. Next time I mow the lawn I will defeat Passive Unlock and see if that gives me peace of mind.
 
The key works well. If you need a mobile key you are going to be frustrated as the Air doesn’t have a real phone-as-key solution because of a hardware limitation. But if you keep a fob in your pocket like I do it’s a nonissue. I even got a fancy leather case for the lucid from Leather Brut and it looks nice.

Destination not sharing is a bit annoying. But it’s a pretty niche issue. It’s not like something is broken, they just haven’t built that out.

When I’ve wanted to use creep it works.

I drive my car every day. I take road trips and I commute and I drive all over town. It’s an awesome car to drive. It’s fast and fun and look good. Super comfy too. The software is pretty darn reliable at this point too.
I got the Leather Brut key case as well. Did you personalize it? They won't use the words Lucid or Gravity on mine. Apparently trademark issues. Polestar didn't have that issue.
 
Back
Top